cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let's discuss: How do you use Google Home to make your home more secure?

kelanfromgoogle
Community Manager (Admin)
Community Manager (Admin)

Hey everyone!

With so many great devices, Routines, and automations - it’s easy to use Google Home to make your home more secure, even when you aren’t there!

Here's a few ideas for how you can do just that:

1. Set up your devices to monitor your home. Google Home can be used to control a variety of lights, locks, and cameras. This allows you to keep an eye on your home even while you're away.
  2.  Create Routines that use presence sensing. You can create Routines to automate tasks that would otherwise require you to get up and move around. For example, you could create a Routine that turns on your lights, locks your doors, and sets your alarm when you leave for work.
  3. Use voice commands. You can use voice commands to lock your doors, turn on your lights, and more. This is a great way to keep your hands free and your home secure.

We'd love to hear about the safety or security related automations and Routines you use with Google Home.  Leave a comment below and let's discuss! 

8 REPLIES 8

MaarenSecond
Community Member

I use nest doorbell i use smart lamps

MisterMarcoo
Community Member

I want to use the app for all things home automation. However, my Nest Doorbell is still showing in the Nest app which is ashame. 

And on top of that, I really like the idea of presence sensing, but it 100% not working for us. Me and my wife both have a OnePlus Nord (Android 12) phone, but our location is always at home. It never switches to away. So routines based on presence sensing.... yea... it is just not working and no one is really helping... And the whole idea was to let my outdoor camera only turn on when we are away (and lower the Nest Learning Thermostat). But because the app thinks we always at home, nothing happens....

I do like to talk in my house to the speakers, although I feel they seem slower than before and the respons way to often. Just do a pling and do it. Only speak when it is not working as expected, that would be nice.

JillG
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

I use presence sensing to turn on lights and 2 indoor cameras when I leave home. That way the house doesn't look empty when I'm out and I'd get notifications from the cameras if anything was going on.

My Nest doorbell alerts me to packages. This is great for when I'm out of town. I can have the house sitter pick up the delivery from the door step.

I have the pathlight set to on for one of my Nest Protects. No tripping over the cat in the middle of the night if I need a midnight snack!

Prancan
Community Member

Where do you find setting to turn on/off the indoor cameras based on presence?  I only see a setting to send notifications only when nobody is home but not a setting to turn on the camera when nobody is home and off when somebody is present?  My older Nest camera has a setting for this but that is in the nest app which the newer cameras don’t connect to.

JillG
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

Hi @Prancan 

I just set up an automation for when I am away based on my phone location.

Google Home app>Automations>Away>+add action(s)

Prancan
Community Member

I guess the old nest camera created an automation by just selecting the “turn off when nobody is home” button. Seems google home doesn’t have anything that simple snd I will need to manually add the new camera to the one nest automatically created.   Thanks. 

JillG
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

It's not so bad. Once you add it all in you won't need to mess with it. It is a real convenience to have the cams come on automatically. 📸

bramvmb
Community Member

There is a new automation starter that says 'if the Nest cam sees movement...' But it doesn't do anything?

Is this trigger working for someone?