cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Nest WiFi Diagnostic test doesn't test anything

Chatroom2003
Community Member

I have a mesh network with 2 Google Nest WI-FI units. I was in a smaller house and recently moved and purchased a second Google Nest Wi-Fi device to extend my network. My new home is fully wired, so when I installed the second unit I plugged into ethernet from the wall to make sure it could access the internet (both have wired internet). This worked great and fixed the coverage issues in the house.

Today I wake up and the newly added device stopped working after a week of good performance. I had to go into range of the working endpoint to access the network with the Google Home App (iOS). I did a test on internet access and worked fine. I did a mesh network test and it reported working fine. I walked back into the other zone and I loose connection to the Google Home App.

Here is the part that REALLY irked me. I unplug the failing endpoint and run the mesh test again. With the second unit COMPLETELY OFF it reports a SUCCESS on the mesh test. Seriously? This diagnostic is completely WORTHLESS!

I am at a loss on how to fix this as I need this test to be able to debug.

3 REPLIES 3

cheliogeovanni
Community Member

Hello @Chatroom2003,

I appreciate your reaching out; assisting you is my pleasure. I understand that you've encountered some frustrations, and I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Let me give you some troubleshooting steps you can try with your Google Nest. 

• Restarting your network: A simple reboot can often resolve temporary glitches. Power down your modem for about 2 minutes, then reconnect it. Wait until all the lights stabilize. Then, power cycle your Google Nest WiFi router or primary point, followed by any additional points. Finally, relaunch the Google Home app and attempt the mesh test again.

• Check Network Connections: Loose or faulty Ethernet cables can disrupt communication. Ensure all cables are securely plugged into your modem, Nest WiFi router or point, and any other connected devices.

• Positioning of Nest WiFi Points: For optimal performance, your Nest WiFi points should be within a good range of each other. If the signal seems weak, try moving a point closer to your router or another mesh point and running the mesh test again.

If none of these steps I gave you does not work, you can also check out this link Nest WiFi, network not working.

Please let me know how it goes.

Kind regards,

Helio.

These are the obvious things I do before reaching out for help. The frustration is that with one of the units powered off the diagnostic test spent time running and then reported successfully. There is no way that test could succeed with the unit powered off and completely unplugged. It’s a fake test.

I understand that you've encountered some frustrations, and we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused. Your feedback is valuable to us, as it helps us identify areas for improvement and make your Google Nest even better.

It is really weird but it may be a glitch or an update so my recommendation is to wait a little longer or you can also submit feedback throughout this form

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Helio.