cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Add relay or replace doorbell?

BigHeavy
Community Member

I have a 1st gen wired Nest Hello from 2018. It initially worked great, but over the years would disconnect from Wi-Fi as soon as the button is pressed. It now does that every time. It is connected to a mechanical chime which I really like and want to keep. I tried a higher current transformer (same voltage) but the disconnects still happen. Since I now have two transformers, I could put the doorbell on a separate circuit and use a relay to control the chime. Should I try that, or just replace the doorbell (with another 1st gen)?

2 REPLIES 2

EmptyNester
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

Hello,  I'm an end user like you.  This is a well documented issue with the Nest Hello doorbells.  I'm a big fan of this product but here is what is going on:  There is an internal battery in the Nest Hello that is not user replaceable.  Once it no longer holds a charge you will get the symptoms you are describing.   I had this happen and I ended up purchasing a used NEST HELLO from ebay. That was over 2 years ago and it is still working great.   I hesitate to recommend the new Nest Doorbells because they do not work with the NEST APP.  The only work with the Google Home app which is lacking a lot of features of the NEST app.  Also, if you like to view the doorbell from your computer browser (instead of your phone) then you can only look at the LIVE image.  You can not see the recorded events on your computer for the new doorbell or any of the  new Google Nest Cameras.  

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@BigHeavy 

This has happened to all 3 of our Google Nest Hello Doorbells. The only workaround is to turn off the "Indoor chime" option (our doorbell chime no longer rings, but the doorbell stays online when the button is pressed) and turn on "Visitor announcements" (https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/7672451) and rely on announcements on our Nest Hubs and Nest Mini.

Some customers have pried open their doorbells and replaced the internal battery, with mixed results: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Nest+Hello+Battery+Replacement/131729