cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Another peeling Nest Doorbell issue

Bruce33NC
Community Member

I have a Nest Hello doorbell that is peeling and out of warranty.  It is visually unappealing, and I get comments from friends all the time.

I contacted Google via chat this afternoon to see what they would do.  After spending a decent amount of time on chat, providing everything requested, I was told that the peeling was happening due to exposure to the sun and that maybe I should cover it from the sun with a plant.  She said they had no solution to offer me but that I could purchase a new doorbell.  I don’t want to have to mess with the current housing and wires with a chance that a new doorbell would not peel.  

So why can’t Google offer a replacement of the ugly peeling doorbell with the new doorbell?  Isn’t this an option for peeling issues for a visually defective product?  I have quite a few google products in my home (as others do) and I was shocked at the lack of company support (though the agent was pleasant).

I think this issue is not RARE and they don’t want to offer a solution because they will be replacing a lot of doorbells so they would rather just ignore the issue and force us to live with it or spend OUR money on their visual defect.  This product was designed to be outside so it should hold up outside(how many homes do not face the sun at some point during the day?- putting a plant in front of the camera will block the capture of video???)

So potentially pushing customers to move to Ring is a better long-term solution than making your current customers happy?  Google, why would this be your way of handling customer support for your products?   You should at least offer a discount for a replacement since it IS a product material issue vs. a “sorry for your luck”.  It is very disappointing.

1 REPLY 1

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@Bruce33NC 

There are 263 threads about "peeling" Google Nest Hello Doorbells in this forum. One of our Nest Hello doorbells--20 months old--is peeling.  That Nest Hello and another one also won't ring the internal chime anymore due to a failing internal battery (another defect with hundreds of posts here in this forum). It certainly seems both are clearly known defects.

In a couple of previous posts, I've suggested that customers with Nest Hello doorbells that are peeling or failing to chime due to a failing internal battery be given a discount on a new, re-designed Google Nest Hello Doorbell that has a user-replaceable internal battery obtainable from Google Nest and that corrects the susceptibility to peeling. So far, no one from Google Nest has responded.