cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Google Nest Doorbell (wired) and the Home App

rirvin94
Community Member

How do I set up a wired doorbell on the Google Home app? I can't set it up via Works with Google because Nest does not exist in that list anymore.

It forced me to set it up via the Nest app but then I can't view it in my Google Home app despite the device having a Google logo on it. I also can't share access to the camera because the Nest app points me to the Google Home app to share, but the camera isn't on the Google Home app because I can't add it.

8 REPLIES 8

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@rirvin94 

Are you signing into the Google Nest app and the Google Home app with the same Google account and password? If so, your Google Nest Hello Doorbell should appear automatically in the Google Home app in the same "home", though you can only view the camera feed and NOT the history there.  When we added a Nest Hello to the Google Nest app in January of this year, it automatically appeared in the Google Home app.

However, if you started using the Google Nest app before Aug. 19, 2019, you'll have to migrate your Nest Account to your Google Account: https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9297676?hl=en

Hi there! I suppose that may be an issue - I used my gmail account to set up Nest but am not the owner of the Google Home, just invited to it, so I guess that may be it. I will try to reset the camera and add it through the Nest account with the same google account as the Home owner.

@rirvin94 

I'm not following all of what you are saying. Google Nest says household members have "full access and control of devices and services".

My son sees the same thing I do in the Google Nest app and in the Google Home app. He signs in with his Google account and password on both, and I use mine on both.  We each have just the same "home" in each app.

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9155535?hl=en

Well in that case, I am not sure. I used my Google email to create the Nest account and use the same email for the Google Home app that am a household member of.

@rirvin94 

You might want to contact Google Nest Support for help; I haven't had experience with your circumstances and have more questions than answers:

So, it seems there is an owner who has created a "home" in the Google Home app, and has made you a household member of that "home". Are there other Google Nest devices in this "home" when the owner  signs onto the Google Home app, or is it empty?

Then you used your Google account to add the Nest Hello. When you did that, were you already a household member of the "home" the owner created in the Google Home app? If so, did you select that "home" in the Google Nest app and add the Nest Hello to that "home"? Or did you create a new home? (Homes are selected from a dropdown at the top of the screen if you have more than one.)

If you go to the Google Nest app, how many "homes" do you have? What devices are in each home? The Nest Hello you set up should be in one of the "homes".

If you go to the Google Home app, how many "homes" do you have? What devices are in each home? The Nest Hello you set up should be in one of the "homes".

If the owner goes to the Google Nest app, how many "homes" do they have? What devices are in each home? Does the Nest Hello show in any home?

If the owner goes to the Google Home app, how many "homes" do they have? What devices are in each home? Does the Nest Hello show in any home?

Google Nest does have this help information on moving a device to a different home, but the person doing the moving would need access to the existing "home" where the Nest Hello is located as well as access to the "home" where you want it located.

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9155535#zippy=%2Cmove-a-device-to-a-different-home

Thank you for talking me through this!! I cleaned out my 'homes' in the app and figured out I am dumb.

So I found the thing in a different 'Home' in the Home app, but it says I can't move it without resetting it - which I don't mind doing if needed. Do I just need to reset and make it the same name as the Home is called in the Home app? I don't recall 'picking' anything for it when opening it in the Home app if that makes sense.

@rirvin94 

I've never moved a Nest device from one home to another and I'm a bit confused about what's all happening in your case. In your case, it sounds like you inadvertently set up the Nest Hello in a different (wrong) home in the Google Nest app.  And maybe it's set up on your account nd not the "owner's" account. But why do you have multiple "homes" for just one device (the Nest Hello)?  And where did you go when "it says I can't move it without resetting it"? When I tried this with one of our Nest Hellos, I discovered there is no ability to move a Nest Hello.

You might have to look up on Google Nest Help https://support.google.com/googlenest#topic=7029097 how to remove a Nest Hello, and then how to do a factory reset, and then how to set it up in the home you want it in.

But since I don't know much at all about your situation, or the "homes" that you have, or how they're shared, or the other Google Nest devices you may have, I can't give you specific advice.

Maybe, if you can see both "homes" in the Google Nest app when signed on with your Google account (the "home" where the Nest Hello is right now and the owner's "home" where you want it to be), you can use these instructions:

"If you have more than one home in the Google Home or Nest app, you can move a camera or doorbell from one home to another. Simply remove it from your account in the app, select the new home in the app, then follow your device’s set up instructions."

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9219307?hl=en#zippy=%2Cmove-to-another-home-in-the-app

I don't know for sure because, as I said, I don't really understand your full situation.  This would work only if both homes are present in the Google Nest app.

I think that is the problem but I didn't have any "homes" at all in the Nest app to begin with. I created a new Nest account as I've never had one before - which I suspect is the root problem, despite my emails being the same.

When I open the Home app and click the doorbell cam and go under Device Settings, there is an option for "Home" but when I click into it to change it it said "Device cannot be moved - to move this device, you must factory reset it and set it up again in the Nest app". I'll try your method of just deleting it from one and adding to another. Factory reset isn't really a problem - it only took 3-4 minutes to set up from start to finish.