cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Google doorbell battery doesn’t ring my phone?

MystaGary
Community Member

I just installed the google n’est doorbell and I can’t figure out why it doesn’t ring. I mean it rings softly at the front door letting the visitor think you know they are there BUT it doesn’t make a sound up in my apartment and I have no idea I am missing my guests and deliveries. Sure If I check my phone for notifications every 30 seconds I might know to answer the door but what use is a doorbell that doesn’t ring? Did I miss something crucial in the set up? I have been going over it and notifications seem to all concern themselves with badges.

2 Recommended AnswerS

Gerritanne
Community Member

Hi MystaGary,

A similar thread on this topic has been addressed yesterday. Fully agree with you, this would be a great addition to actually receive a doorbell sound on your phone, so that you know without having to look at your phone that someone’s at the door, vs receiving a regular “reminder” notification sound that can be lost in the plethora of other “reminder” notifications one gets during the day. I was told my feedback on this would be forwarded…Let’s hope for this feature to arrive soon…

Gerrit

View Recommended Answer in original post

MystaGary
Community Member

Update, because it was « battery » n’est I thought I could just mount it at my front door and it would ring my phone or Bluetooth speaker? Upon further research I realized that I needed to wire the bell, makes sense, also quite easy, just disconnect your existing doorbell and use the supplied clips to hard wire the google n’est doorbell. Please read the installation instructions first or have an expert wire it, it’s not difficult but you don’t want to risk getting a shock. Thanks to the community for the helpful notes 🙂 

View Recommended Answer in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Gerritanne
Community Member

Hi MystaGary,

A similar thread on this topic has been addressed yesterday. Fully agree with you, this would be a great addition to actually receive a doorbell sound on your phone, so that you know without having to look at your phone that someone’s at the door, vs receiving a regular “reminder” notification sound that can be lost in the plethora of other “reminder” notifications one gets during the day. I was told my feedback on this would be forwarded…Let’s hope for this feature to arrive soon…

Gerrit

MystaGary
Community Member

Update, because it was « battery » n’est I thought I could just mount it at my front door and it would ring my phone or Bluetooth speaker? Upon further research I realized that I needed to wire the bell, makes sense, also quite easy, just disconnect your existing doorbell and use the supplied clips to hard wire the google n’est doorbell. Please read the installation instructions first or have an expert wire it, it’s not difficult but you don’t want to risk getting a shock. Thanks to the community for the helpful notes 🙂 

Hard wiring the bell is not the solution to this issue. It’s the battery model, which I bought because I didn’t want any wires in the first place. Getting a real “gong” sound on your phone is a “software” solution Google could implement with an update to Google home app I suppose…

I am having the same problem with the Nest battery doorbell I just installed in my vacation home.  I installed what appears to be the very same doorbell in my primary home (in 2020 or 2021) and I receive a doorbell “ding dong” on my phone whenever someone presses the bell.  I have spoken to Nest customer service and they told me to contact my phone service provider for answers.  The problem is not with my phone.  I am inclined to send this back for a refund and buy a Ring doorbell.

MystaGary
Community Member

I agree. I thought that the google app on my phone would chime and I still think that it would be easy enough for Google to tweak the app so that it did sound and could even be hooked into a Bluetooth speaker. This i how I thought the « battery » doorbell would operate and also eliminate the need to hard wire the bell. 

bazilek
Community Member

Any updates here? I've just installed the device just to find out that it does work the way people expect. 

Gerritanne
Community Member

I’ve both used this forum as well as the feedback option in the Google home app to bring the idea of the chime sound to the attention of the Google development team. Unfortunately they don’t respond to the ideas that are brought to them, as I didn’t hear back from them. So, it’s kind of a black box after leaving your feedback…

kbg28
Community Member

@Brad - has this feedback actually been sent through to Google, and has any response been provided by the doorbell product team?

Being able to receive audible notifications on your phone when a google doorbell rings is one of the most popular feature requests on this forum and really distinguishes rival products as superior to the Google Doorbell.

Given that this would be a quick software fix for google to implement, someone at Google really needs to take notice of this and sort this issue out.. Very poor product development for a A$350 device.

Please a) confirm that this request has been received by the Google Doorbell product team, and b) when we can expect an update / progress on this issue.

MystaGary
Community Member

My apologies, I was under the mistaken impression that the re chargeable Google doorbell was completely wireless, I thought that it would ring on my cell phone or portable speaker, perhaps it could and maybe in the future it will but for now hard wiring it to my anolog in-house chime is working quite well, you just have to disconnect the wires to re charge the unit every few months.