cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Is use of a metal oxide varistor (MOV) an appropriate remedy for Nest Hello's failing battery?

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

I posted the following on May 5, 2022.  Since then, Google Nest actually moved my post to an unrelated thread that was already locked.  Seriously!!  So I'm posting it again:

Hundreds of Google Nest customers (see the thread at the bottom of this post, among others) have reported that, after our Google Nest Hello Doorbells (aka Google Nest Doorbell [wired]--not the new Google Nest Doorbells [Battery]--are a year or two old, they often start to fail to ring the indoor chime and instead go offline for a minute whenever the doorbell button is pressed. The apparent cause is the failure of the small internal battery. The only known workaround is to turn off one's indoor chime and rely on visitor notifications on a Nest Hub or Nest Mini.

Google Nest's only reply over the last six months is to say that they are investigating and to ask customers to fill out a "form".

A few customers (but not all) have had success correcting this problem by connecting an inexpensive metal oxide varistor (MOV) to their chime. The customer who came up with this remedy has reported it to Google Nest; they have not responded. On the thread below and on other threads, I have asked Google Nest several times over the last several weeks to comment on whether the use of a MOV is an appropriate remedy, whether there is any electrical risk, whether it could further damage the doorbell, and whether it is a suitable long-term remedy.

Even though Google Nest is the maker of the Nest Hello doorbell and possesses unique technical knowledge about the doorbell, they have not responded to my repeated requests or those of other customers.

Since Google Nest has not provided any other remedy for the failing internal battery in Google Nest Hello Doorbells, I think it is appropriate for Google Nest to respond to this question.

https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Cameras-and-Doorbells/Nest-Hello-Doorbell-cuts-out-when-butto...

0 REPLIES 0