cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Live streaming

Dand160
Community Member

One of my three cameras no longer streams live 24/7. It did previously for years, now it doesn’t. My other two cameras, one a doorbell camera the other interior room still do. Why not all three?

Also, is there any way to get a sound notification along with the email notification? It could be hours before I check my incoming emails, and it serves no purpose to find someone broke in overnight and I see a notification via email hours later.

2 Recommended AnswerS

EmptyNester
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

I'm pretty sure that just turning it OFF from the software switch isn't the same thing as a full re-boot.    Is there someone there that can unplug it and plug it back in?   I  know some people install a switch that they can control from their phone to be able to reboot the camera remotely.  Same thing as any common home automation power plug that you can control from your phone. I use the ones that work with the SMARTTHINGS App.     And if possible it might be worth having someone reboot both the Cable Modem and WIFI Router.

You have probably already done this but maybe double check these things:    Go into the app and look at the camera's view then hit the gear in the upper right corner.  Scroll down and select NOTIFICATIONS and then NOTIFICATION TYPE and make sure PUSH NOTIFICATION is check.   Also make sure Home/Away Assist is OFF.  And make sure SCHEDULE is OFF.  

The next thing to check is go into your iPhone settings and scroll down to where you see all of your apps.  Scroll down to NEST and select it and make sure ALLOW NOTIFICATION and SOUNDS are both ON.

View Recommended Answer in original post

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@Dand160 

Are you saying that you no longer get 24/7 recording for one of your cameras? If you go to Settings | Nest Aware for your camera in the Google Nest app, does it show an active Nest Aware Plus subscription?

Or are you saying you cannot livestream your camera in the Google Nest app or on the home.nest.com website? If so, what happens when you try?

Sounds for email are standard in iOS for all email messages. I suppose you could add the email address Google Nest uses for email notifications to your VIP list by going to one of your email notifications, tapping the email address, and selecting "Add to VIP". Then you'd get a sound notification for such emails.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/104971

(We don't use email notifications, but instead rely on push notifications, so we always get immediate notifications.)

View Recommended Answer in original post

4 REPLIES 4

EmptyNester
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

Hmmmm,  I'm not sure why your camera isn't streaming live.   I have 6 nest gen 1 cams and they all stream live.   do you see any live image at all even if for a few seconds?    The only thing I can think to try is remove the power for about a minute and then let it power back up.    Also have you tried streaming the live image from your  computer browser?

As for the other question I'm not sure what you are asking.  All of my 6 cameras give me a sound alert on my iPhone from the Nest App when they see motion.  There are settings to turn this on.   

the camera in question is 1200 miles away. I’ll try shutting it off remotely through the app and turning it on again. Currently, it only records if there’s movement, then I can see it. 

re sound, I have no command on screen that enables an audible alert.

EmptyNester
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

I'm pretty sure that just turning it OFF from the software switch isn't the same thing as a full re-boot.    Is there someone there that can unplug it and plug it back in?   I  know some people install a switch that they can control from their phone to be able to reboot the camera remotely.  Same thing as any common home automation power plug that you can control from your phone. I use the ones that work with the SMARTTHINGS App.     And if possible it might be worth having someone reboot both the Cable Modem and WIFI Router.

You have probably already done this but maybe double check these things:    Go into the app and look at the camera's view then hit the gear in the upper right corner.  Scroll down and select NOTIFICATIONS and then NOTIFICATION TYPE and make sure PUSH NOTIFICATION is check.   Also make sure Home/Away Assist is OFF.  And make sure SCHEDULE is OFF.  

The next thing to check is go into your iPhone settings and scroll down to where you see all of your apps.  Scroll down to NEST and select it and make sure ALLOW NOTIFICATION and SOUNDS are both ON.

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@Dand160 

Are you saying that you no longer get 24/7 recording for one of your cameras? If you go to Settings | Nest Aware for your camera in the Google Nest app, does it show an active Nest Aware Plus subscription?

Or are you saying you cannot livestream your camera in the Google Nest app or on the home.nest.com website? If so, what happens when you try?

Sounds for email are standard in iOS for all email messages. I suppose you could add the email address Google Nest uses for email notifications to your VIP list by going to one of your email notifications, tapping the email address, and selecting "Add to VIP". Then you'd get a sound notification for such emails.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/104971

(We don't use email notifications, but instead rely on push notifications, so we always get immediate notifications.)