cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest Cam (indoor, wired) in Nest App

juliecb
Community Member

Hi, 

We just bought 5 Nest cam (2e generation, wired indoor) to cast the activity in our house for an experimental "living lab". We also bought a Nest Hub Max, thinking that we would be casting a mosaic of cams streaming. We just realised that only the Nest hub max is working in Nest App, but not the 5 cams. 

It is for us a big problem, because we need the fonctionnalities of the Nest app for easy monitoring and for easy creation of choosed extracts. 

We want to know if these precious features are in some way accessible for us, because we would be forced to return our 5 cams + nest hub max...

Thank you for your help,

Julie

Julie CB
5 REPLIES 5

juliecb
Community Member

Just to say : we know that we can download separate events in Google home app, but it is not at all effective for us, for this kind of use.

Julie CB

@juliecb 

As we customers keep discovering, the newer Google Nest cameras and doorbells released starting in 2021 work ONLY in the Google Home app, and NOT in the Google Nest app or on the home.nest.com website even though they are still called "Nest" cameras.  Because of this, the newer cameras and doorbells lack some of the functionality of the older cameras and doorbells. The video feeds for the older cameras and doorbells can be viewed in the Google Home app, but they cannot be configured there; the older cameras and doorbells are still configured in the Google Nest app or on the home.nest.com website. All of the cameras and doorbells can be viewed on Nest Hubs.  (And the camera in the Nest Hub Max is administered in the Google Nest app.)

Google Nest's rationale for its 2-app approach can be found in this Sept. 29, 2021 blog in this forum, along with considerable customer reaction.  They say they're going to provide a new website for cameras sometime in 2022, and add the current Google Nest app functionality to the Google Home app, but it's been 5 months now.

https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Blog/Message-from-our-GM-Updates-for-our-Nest-customers/ba-p/...

Hi,

Thank you. Yes, I read that (after buying, receiving and installing all the cams + Hub Max...).

I post here to find a better solution than mine until the new website & fonctions be released. The best I found is to use Google Takout, to get periodically all the mp4 store in the cloud (with Nest aware Plus), search & find the extracts I want to keep and use it as I want.

For the other functions of Home app I love the events and faces detection fonctions (for other purposes) and it's useful.

But the mix of the best fonctions of both apps would be greater ! (and at the high level quality we get from Google usually)

Julie CB

Jimmy_J
Community Member

sounds like you are within the return window and that many cams and hub was a pretty penny.  I would 1000% return the products while you can and get something else.  look at all the comments on this forum.  @User123456 needs to do better

juliecb
Community Member

Hi, 

Thank you for your suggestion, but this is for me the last option.

I hope someone may help me to find a path, even if there are several detours, to organize my setup.

Julie CB