cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest Cams on at night, off in day unless we're out

craigatkinson
Community Member

I've read a few posts by people wanting to override Home/Away or to automate the cameras on/off.

Most cameras do not have this function. Nest, same with Logitech on iOS/Apple Home, are either on or off and Home Away assist is the closest you can get to automation. I'd love our Nest cameras outdoor to always be on, indoor to be off until we go to bed then on through the night, unless we're away then they'd just be on always. Not possibe...

But, it is, kind of. If you use an Apple device and Apple Homekit, link the Nest cams to Homekit using a Starling Hub, the cameras can be automated by time through Homekit. Why Google can't add this feature in Home I don't know — why would we want indoor cameras on while we're in the house and awake...and why would we not want them on at night when we're asleep? Home/Away assist would be better as day/night assist, with the ability of turningin 'night' on when you leave the home.

4 REPLIES 4

bprince1731
Community Member

Trying to figure out the same thing. I don’t want to watch myself walk past my office which we convert into my office. No door and faces our front door entryway. Seems pointless to have the camera going while I’m home and the home/away feature is not working for me. Can’t figure it out. Constantly recording and my front door is either unlocked contstantly or locked when I’m just out front pulling weeds. Annoying me to death! Sorry no tips just frustrated as well. Following! 

yes, the other issue is bandwidth and power use. If theer was an option to turn off cameras as necessary it would greatly reduce upload and electricty usage. My guess is, that it can be done but the companies are scared to do it because people would sue them if they were broken into and their cameras were off!

Hey folks!

Thanks for reaching out. I know how frustrating this can be. Let me sort this out for you — a few questions: is your Home/Away assist turned on in the Nest app when you're home? When did you first notice the issue? Do you have a family member that uses the Nest app? 

Give these steps a try:

Go to Home/Away Assist settings in your Nest app. Check if Home/Away Assist is correctly reporting whether you're Home or Away. If it’s not right. 

Check your home location in the Nest app. 

1. In the Nest App, go to Settings > Home Away Assist > What decides if you’re home.
  2. In the Nest App, toggle the Home/Away button, then check if the products are working as intended.

Check your Nest app’s notifications and data permissions in your phone’s iOS Settings. 

1. Usually, there will be a list of all installed apps somewhere in the phone’s Settings menu.
  2. Select the Nest app from the list and check that it can use cellular, Wi-Fi and GPS data, and receive notifications.

Check your home location settings.

1. In the Nest app, go to Settings > Home Info > Address.
  2. Edit the address if needed. Then select Next.
  3. If the pin location is off on the next screen, drag the map to move the pin to the correct location.

Also, restart your mobile phone and clear your cache.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks,

JT

Hi folks,

Just checking in to make sure that you saw my response. I'll be locking this thread if we won't hear back from you again in 24 hrs. Should that happen, feel free to create a new one if you have more questions or have other concerns in the future. 

Thanks,
JT