cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest Hello Support in Google Home App

timlopez
Community Member

[Nest] Hello,

Is there any plans to support the first generation Nest Hello Doorbell in Google Home? I finally gave in to the constant nagging to move the cameras to Google Home, only to find out that I need to continue to keep the Nest App because Nest Hello requires this. However, it easily migrated over my cameras that were purchased years before I purchased the Nest Hello. 

I prefer the Nest App, but clearly you want people to use the Google Home app, since I wasn't even able to add the newer thermostats to the Nest app. If I'm SOL, then I'll likely just dump everything and get a completely different non-Google setup before my nest Nest Aware renewal. 

3 REPLIES 3

EmptyNester
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

I'm not sure if the Nest Hello will be able to be moved.  I have not heard about it.  But also the I don't believe the NEST OUTDOOR IQ is moveable yet either.  So I'm guessing they are still working on it. 

I have only move one of my cameras at this point because I view most of my cameras from my computer browser using HOME.NEST.COM.  And if you move the cams to Google Home then you can only view them from your computer using HOME.GOOGLE.COM which at the moment ONLY lets you look at the live images.  Hopefully this all changes soon and I will move to the newer Gen 2 cameras and Doorbells.... I think, LOL

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@timlopez 

I haven't moved our one 1st gen indoor camera or any of our 1st gen outdoor cameras from the Google Nest app to the Google Home app because:

1) As @EmptyNester  pointed out, there is still no administration or history available on the home.google.com website; it became available in "Public Preview" mode in October 2022, and still offers only live-streaming.

2) We can only move cameras in the beta "Public Preview" version of the Google Home app.

3) There so many features in the Google Nest app that have not (yet?) been added to the Google Home app; those are itemized here: https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/13038234#zippy=%2Cnest-app-only-features (and shown in the screen capture below). I have no idea whether Google Nest is going to add these features to the Google Home app; if they don't, it will be a real downgrade for our 1st gen cameras.

4) We still have to use the Google Nest app because there is still no option for moving our Nest Hello Doorbells to the Google Home app; Google Nest is pretty vague about plans for this:

"Beyond cameras, we’ll continue to bring support for more Nest devices and features to the Home app, one device at a time, while maintaining privacy, security, and experiences for our users. Each device has its own complexity and requires migrating infrastructure, updates to device software, and evaluating if the hardware can be supported."
(https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Blog/Nest-Cam-Outdoor-1st-gen-expanded-support-rolling-out-in...)

Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 10.35.07 AM.png

@MplsCustomer  that is a great summery.  Thanks for posting.  One concern I have is that the release cycle for software on the Nest Games seems to be only in 4th quarter of each year.  So what ever comes on in the next 30 days or so might be all we get for a long time.  I hope I'm wrong.