cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest Hello (Wired) - indoor chimes don't ring, "Indoor chime On/Off" keeps turning off

wmwilliams
Community Member

I recently purchased a new Google Nest Hello wired doorbell and installed it today.  Got it connected to my app and it appears to work fine in all respects except that my two indoor chimes do not ring now.  They worked fine with the the old doorbell. In the app settings for my Hello doorbell the "Indoor Chime On/Off" setting keeps turning itself off as well.  I reset it back to the "on" setting, and a few seconds later it just turns itself off again.  

I've spent a few hours searching the forums and haven't found any solutions.  I've triple-checked the indoor wiring and tried a few troubleshooting ideas with no luck.  I have not bypassed the Chime Connector yet, but from several posts that appears to be what solves this problem for most people.  I'd rather not try that until I get some guidance from Google/Nest about that first.  I'm pretty sure they build/ship/require them for a reason.  Hoping to get some help here.  Thanks.

1 Recommended Answer

wmwilliams
Community Member

Follow-up - I purchased a new 16V, 30 VA transformer and installed it this morning, then re-installed the Nest Hello with the Chime Controller per the instructions.  Powered everything up and everything worked perfectly, first time.  Clearly a 16V 10VA transformer was simply not enough to power the Nest Hello and two standard door chimes.

I installed my Chime Controller in the attic next to the transformer instead of in the chime itself.  Seems like this was much easier, and works just fine.  I'll try to get around to posting some pics.

View Recommended Answer in original post

3 REPLIES 3

wmwilliams
Community Member

Follow-up - did some additional troubleshooting, and I believe my issue is that my existing transformer is insufficient to run the Nest Hello with two mechanical chimes.  I disconnected the downstairs chime and configured the system to operate with a single chime, and now it works fine.  I currently have a 16V, 10VA transformer.  I plan to upgrade the transformer to a 16V 30VA one this week and see if that will allow both chimes to operate.

mdr2
Community Member

Thanks for the update.  Glad to hear you got it working.  It is always helpful to hear the details on how this kind of trouble shooting plays out.

wmwilliams
Community Member

Follow-up - I purchased a new 16V, 30 VA transformer and installed it this morning, then re-installed the Nest Hello with the Chime Controller per the instructions.  Powered everything up and everything worked perfectly, first time.  Clearly a 16V 10VA transformer was simply not enough to power the Nest Hello and two standard door chimes.

I installed my Chime Controller in the attic next to the transformer instead of in the chime itself.  Seems like this was much easier, and works just fine.  I'll try to get around to posting some pics.