cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest doorbell now playing up

Browndog
Community Member

My Nest Doorbell has worked fine for 2 yrs but has recently started doing the following:

1. Video goes offline for a minute whenever some on presses the doorbell. Then comes back on line….

2. Has stopped recording more than 1 days footage (even though I have subscribed to Nest Aware for years) 

3. Is no longer showing and alerting based on the zones I’d setup

Help……

1 Recommended Answer

Kvenkat
Community Member

The Nest hello wired doorbell. Also mine eventually brokedown soon after the 2 year warranty expired due to a design defect in the network module, which Google knows  but does nothing about if warranty has expired

View Recommended Answer in original post

7 REPLIES 7

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@Browndog 

Your first issue is a known defect. I don't know about #2 and #3. Two of our Nest Hellos, both less than 2 years old, go offline briefly when the button is pressed due to a failing internal battery (one that we didn't know existed). A workaround is to turn off the internal chime and rely on "visitor notifications" on a Nest Hub or Nest Mini; when this is done, the camera does not go offline. As you can see from the post below, with over 800 replies, Google Nest so far is refusing to do anything about Nest Hellos that are more than a year old, even after multiple contacts from state attorney general offices.

https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Cameras-and-Doorbells/Nest-Hello-Doorbell-cuts-out-when-butto...

Kvenkat
Community Member

You can resolve issue 1 by changing the internal battery. Check ifixit website, they have the link to purchase the battery on Amazon and the steps to replace battery. I have done it and it's a fairly easy process.

Browndog
Community Member

Is this applicable to the powered doorbell or the rechargeable one?

Kvenkat
Community Member

The Nest hello wired doorbell. Also mine eventually brokedown soon after the 2 year warranty expired due to a design defect in the network module, which Google knows  but does nothing about if warranty has expired

Browndog
Community Member

Thanks. I’ll prepare myself to but a new one 🙂 Also diagnosed why I couldn’t review previous days recording etc the payment for Nest Aware didn’t go through for some reason and the warning emails went to junk so I’ve lost all my saved faces, recordings, history etc 😞

Kvenkat
Community Member

Any wired device with an internal battery (hello, ring) is not a good investment in general. The best line of devices seem to be worst of the lot going by how many devices have suddenly failed a few months out of warranty. something like eufy wired 2k doorbel, which doesn't have an internal battery, should last longer (and is relatively cheaper)

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

If the Nest Hello requires an internal battery to operate, Google Nest could design it so that the battery is customer-replaceable, and then sell replacement batteries. But then, Google Nest (unlike Ring) does not currently sell ANY spare parts at all.