cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

New updates to Google Home for camera users: new AI image detection, requested features, and more!

GoogleNestTeam
Community Manager (Admin)

We recently shared new updates to the Google Home app. You can read more in our community blog: New updates to Google Home for camera users: new AI image detection, requested features, and more!  Have any questions not covered in the FAQ? Let us know in the comments!

1 Recommended Answer

GoogleNestTeam

Hi everyone!

We appreciate the continued discussion about this topic, however this post was intended for a much earlier announcement. We've since updated many things, and brought new features to Public Preview - if you're curious, check out our most recent blog and make sure you're subscribed to stay up-to-date.

We'll be closing this post to keep discussion fresh and easy to find for all members. If you're experiencing an issue with a device - please use the search bar to find similar topics, or create a new topic if you don't find your answer.

Thank you,
Google Nest Team

View Recommended Answer in original post

116 REPLIES 116

Hello again,  Your follow up review is amazing!  Thank you for taking the time to lay it out this way with all the image examples.    There was a lot of information packed in so I actually read thru it 3 times, LOL.

I am completely Apple as well so your review was perfect.  However I'm not on an M processor yet so I can't run the app on the computer.   I need to resolve this VERY soon as I can go any higher than OSX 12 (Monterey) and it is holding up my ability on a number of things.

A few comments just for fun that apply to me....

20 FPS would be fine for me.  But the EUFY is at 15FPS which is just okay.   I have one and it is disappointingly jerky.

I agree with you on the HDR.  The image is better with it off (thanks again for your examples).

Lack of scrubbing is disappointing as I do this a number of times a day.

I would also miss the backing up 15 seconds button to see something again and again.  I do this fairly often as well.

Yes, viewing live and recorded cameras on a computer browser seems to be going by the way side.  I believe it has to do with the encryption issue for some reason.   I have been waiting for Google to add "event" viewing to Home.Googe.Com for well over a year.  They have indicated it is coming but it must be presenting them with some challenges.  Same reason EUFY use to  have it but took it away because of data security.

Thanks again for your review.  It is really well done and I hope you consider sharing it on other user sights as I think a lot of people would love reading it.

Cheers for now

No worries.

I would add that I am a complete fan of SD card recording. Internet went down for 4 hours the other day and never missed a thing. A huge plus, no matter what camera you decide. Guess a NVR would do the same thing but still. 

I am tempted to try a reolink camera and deal with the hassle of a set up, just to see the app and experience. Only issue I may have is the FoV of their camera but may be worth the hassle. Will probably try something over the next few months. 

gilleslibre
Silver Product Expert
Silver Product Expert

That's unerving news particularly as the Nest division is targetted. It does not bode well for Google cameras. I was wondering what was happening to them as no new camera products were released or announced contrary to the competition. Thank you for the heads up @timmmmyyyyy 

lotusmad2001
Community Member

I'm on public preview in the UK. Still had no promot regarding the outdoor camera working in the new home app

Few assumptions. you're talking about the Nest outdoor cam 1st gen and you've been enrolled for a while. Took me about a week to be enrolled and the migration request to trigger. If it's been longer than a week, then it sounds like a bug and you'll need to contact them/be patient (depending on how long you've been waiting)

EmptyNester
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

@lotusmad2001 , Just to be clear only the Gen 1 Nest Outdoor is included.  If you have the Nest Outdoor IQ then it is not yet supported in the preview app.  

Also,  in the Google Home app I only see the prompt to transfer my gen 1 cams about once per day.  But I don't see a way to start the process until the app gives the option. However interestingly I just launched the NEST APP and at the very bottom of the screen in a vary small line of white text I was offered the option to move the cameras.   I suggest when it happens you only do 1 camera to make sure you want to stay that way.  If you don't like it there is a way to move the camera back to the Nest App.

RavenManiac
Community Member

That's fine. How about you update the crummy firmware that's ruined the nighttime video of ALL of my Nest Battery Cams?

Hi RavenManiac,  I'm just an end user like you.  I don't work for Google.    The best way to send a message to Google is to use the FEEDBACK option in the app.

they do not reply. any other suggestions...

I have Wyze cams that do not stream though Wyze is  a Google Partner in the home app..

Seems like Nest and Arlo cameras work natively from Home app. The rest ‘should’ work on Smart displays or Chromecast but will not work in the app on iPhone/Android. I tried work around but nothing works.

Agriffo13
Community Member

When can we expect the ability to scrub back and forth 15 seconds like we can in the nest app? It’s the only reason stopping me from moving my legacy cameras over. 

1in1class
Community Member

Live video sound cuts out to no sound after a few seconds. This was an issue before but was fixed then right back to same issue with no sound during live video. Most info was in this thread:

https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Cameras-and-Doorbells/Nest-cameras-and-doorbell-have-no-audio...

But it started happening again. Please fix this issue!

DK24
Community Member

How embarrassing that the Home.Google web site is still in Beta years later without the ability to view history. They managed to raise prices in that time. Nest has become a third rate Chinese camera company.

timmmmyyyyy
Community Member

Live now. 

Hi Timmmmyyyyy, is it working for you yet?   When I go to Home.Google.com it still looks the same for me.

‘Rolling out over the next few weeks’.

I missed that bit in my excitement. 🤣 sorry!!

Not all that fussed for it as I’ve nearly migrated away. October 22 to March 24 from promise to delivery. Shambles. 

gilleslibre
Silver Product Expert
Silver Product Expert

Great! Thank you for the update.

This is great news! Now we just need them to update the Nest Battery Cam firmware to fix the nighttime resolution problem. 

Benjycov
Community Member

I'm really loving this update, updating gen 1 Nestcams to align with new cams is amazing! All in the same app, same experience, and best of all behind scenes now all WebRTC.

I only joined the public preview today and one of my homes nearly instantly offered me the camera updates (all completed perfectly), my other home though isn't being offered the update on its cameras. Is there some kind of reason behind the scenes, perhaps only certain territories?

nest-user
Community Member

The latest updates to the home.google.com site is a step in the right direction, 24/7 timeline and custom clips. However, some features are still missing:

• still cannot create timelapses
  • custom clip downloads range appear to max out at 5 minutes 
  • exported clips still do not have any timestamps
  • cannot edit camera device settings (zones, names, etc.)

gilleslibre
Silver Product Expert
Silver Product Expert

Yes, this is a very important update. 

From your exported clips, you can get the timestamps by activating the comments in your clip. For this, you need to have a Video viewing software that can activate the comments. Myself, I use PowerDVD which I downloaded from the Net. 

Thanks, I see the timestamps with the VLC media player. I tried earlier with the default Windows Photos and Film/TV app and unfortunately those did not have the option to activate the "subtitles" for the timestamps. 

Just hoping the rest of the features from home.nest.com will be migrated to home.google.com now.

As well as migrating the Nest app only features (https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/13038234#zippy=%2Cnest-app-only-features) to the Google Home app.

I transferred a 1st Gen Indoor Wired Nest Cam to the Google Home App to test and overall its been great, albeit with the missing features mentioned earlier in both the mobile app and website:

• vertical timeline scroll/scrubbing similar to the Nest App, from my experience it is as smooth as the Nest App. Make sure you update to the latest Google Home version on your respective App Store
  • fast forward/rewind 15 sec buttons are gone, a feature that is very useful on the Nest App
  • WearOS notifications (GW6) still do not show any images, only a text notification. This has been an ongoing issue that has never been fixed. I believe this only works with the Pixel Watches and 2nd Gen Nest Cams. It's ironic that an Apple Watch can do this

If transferring 1st Gen Cameras, make sure all members within your household is on the Google Home App Preview or else they will not receive any push notifications on their phones, the notifications settings page in their Google Home App for the respective camera will be empty.

In the end I've transferred back to the Nest App since I still have multiple IQ Cams and a Nest Hello Doorbell that are not supported in the Google Home App yet.

I have transferred back as well. Still waiting for
1. 4 colored activity zones to be added to the timeline scroll. I use this daily.
https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9208447?hl=en
2  zoomed enhanced recording for history. I use this daily as well.
https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9251364?hl=en-CA#zippy=%2Cenhance-with-nest-app

enhanced zoom.pngactivity zones in timeline.png

@TBCuthbert 

We use the "Enhance" feature on two of our Nest Hello Doorbells, because the doorways are recessed; without it, the view looks like you're in a bowl.  And the "Enhance" feature is STILL not in the Google Home app, and I haven't seen any indication they are going to add it.

It's so strange that the newer camera models have less functionality than the older cameras.

Yes, I completely agree. We really do need a way to provide our feedback to Google on the Home app. I have provided comments through the Google Home app browser and Google Home app many times. I have never had a response even though I’ve asked for responses.
We do need to Persist. 🙂.

Go into the camera under events, and you can change the name and shape of the activity zones. 

but still no swim lanes in the streaming view. 

IMG_1762.png

IMG_1761.png

LarryW
Community Member

FIX WHAT YOU HAVE. THE SLOWNESS!. Lag and don't try to blame the customers Wifi Speed, or other stuff that has nothing to do with the setup at home, but has everything to do with google. With the garage door detection  featureand the slowness, by the time I am notified, the bad guys already stole everything out of my home!

DrewS1975
Community Member

I am still unable to fully move my 1st generation Nest indoor and outdoor cams to the Google Home app. By this I mean, I can only view the feed live but am not able to see an activity timeline or get push notifications for my 1st generation camera's like I can with my 2nd generation outdoor camera and doorbell.

Please see the screen shot from one of my 1st generation outdoor camera's from the Google Home app where you can still see the quick access icon to the original Nest app.

Can anyone here assist with this or is it better I reach out to Google directly? Thank you!

IMG_F5A4D41658E6-1.jpeg

Couple things to check. 

#1  Did the Google Home app offer you the question to move your old camera from the Nest App over to the Google Home app?   If it did and you proceeded then you can confirm it worked as the camera will no longer be viewable in the NEST APP.   But don't worry you can move it back if need too.

#2 the next thing to check is that you have PREVIEW Mode enabled on the Google Home app.  To do this go into the Google Home app and click not the SETTINGs gear in the lower left corner of the screen and then scroll all the way down until you see PUBLIC PREVIEW and make sure it is turn on.

Thank you for the information. I completed those steps and now have all of my camera's moved over to the Google Home app.

That is great news.  If you end up wanting to move them back to the Nest App it is pretty easy to do.  For me I miss seeing the ZONE markings for the motion detection as it is shown in the NEST app. But I don't think it will be very long before the Google Home app shows them.  

@EmptyNester 

I wish I could share your optimism, but I don't see any sign that Google Nest is addressing the missing Nest app functions (https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/13038234#zippy=%2Cnest-app-only-features, and that list is not complete), and Nest Hello Doorbells still can't be transferred, and some customers have reported problems when they transfer their cameras.

Korcok
Community Member

Hello,

i am looking for low light security camera, Tapo C325WB or Reolink CX410.

I'm aware of the differences like WiFi, PoE, fps.

Can i use them without NVR, without paid subscription with remote live/past video view over internet and people/car detection?

Which one do you recommend?

Thank you

GoogleNestTeam

Hi everyone!

We appreciate the continued discussion about this topic, however this post was intended for a much earlier announcement. We've since updated many things, and brought new features to Public Preview - if you're curious, check out our most recent blog and make sure you're subscribed to stay up-to-date.

We'll be closing this post to keep discussion fresh and easy to find for all members. If you're experiencing an issue with a device - please use the search bar to find similar topics, or create a new topic if you don't find your answer.

Thank you,
Google Nest Team