cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Wasserstein Anti-Theft Mount for Nest Cam battery causing glare at night

boro_boy
Community Member

Screenshot_20210903-205121.png

Screenshot_20210903-205111.png

Since Ive added the Wasserstein Anti-Theft Mount for Nest Cam battery. At night I'm getting glare. The mount does have a lip at the top of it and I'm fearing the glare is from the IR lights glaring off the little hood of the Wasserstein Anti-Theft Mount.

Has anyone else noticed this. Considering I've spent £14.99 on two of these. This isn't.very good. 
13 REPLIES 13

Joharred
Community Member

Exactly same problem here. My first night with it on and night vision is atrocious. Was okay at dusk but at full darkness it is unusable. I fear it’s the Wasserstein. 

mdr2
Community Member

So glad I read this. I was about to order one but now I won't. 

Joharred
Community Member

Some guy on Reddit posted the same complaint two days ago.. He actually spray painted the inside of the Wasserstein hood black and that solved the issue. He even had a before and after picture. Another guy used black electrical tape and said he fixed the issue. 

Big goof if our suspicions are true. Not thrilled to climb up 15 feet to deal with it after a pro install. 

boro_boy
Community Member

I emailed Wasserstein and they asked me to move the mount further back so the hood wasn't as big, I managed to move it about 4-5 mm further back and that solved it. 

I asked them why they fitted a hood, I'm awaiting their response. Its like nothing gets tested before its put out to the public. 

Cleofus
Community Member

Thank you!  I had the same problem.  I took the **bleep** thing completely off - it's going back.  Even without the Wasserstein, the night vision fairly well sucks (Google, PLEASE fix it)  - but at least now it's a little better.  

Joharred
Community Member

I took it off as well! I couldnt push the hood back far enough (doing so made me unable to tilt camera down to desired angle).

Completely agreed on night vision (even without the Wasserstein). Mine is about 10 feet up off the ground and the night vision is fairly useless. So, taking the hood off made the night vision go from totally useless to fairly useless.

Joharred
Community Member

My night vision is 100x better tonight. Google update ? 

My Doorbell is 100x better as well, but not my nest cam battery; still mediocre

Give it a few more days. Two nights ago after I took Wasserstein hood off I was expecting a complete fix. The night vision was no longer cloudy but the night vision range was awful. Fast forward to last night, 24 hours later, same time of day, it now looks like a spotlight is flashing on my back yard with the IR. As it should look. 

Whats your software version? This is mine:

Model: Nest Cam (battery)
Device ID: [REMOVED]
Serial no.: [REMOVED]
Software version: nq-user 1.57 OPENMASTER 266328 test-keys stable-channel stable-channel

Interesting. Mine is the same. 

Kroezer95
Community Member

I had the same problem…took it to a belt sander…lip no more! Haha.  But you also cannot tilt the camera to extreme angle as the mount gets in the way…so back to the belt sander to cut out an arched cutout in the rear of the mount as to not impedance with the magnetic base…. now I can actually use the Wasserstein mount.  Did they even test this thing? Geez…

GarySC
Community Member

I had the same issue and had ordered 4 of them. I'm considering sending the 3 unused ones back. they must not of tested this design first.