cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

CCwGTV Broadcasted WiFi is locked with password?

wpwpwp841107
Community Member

I recently had to re-setup my ccwgtv because of a device hijack from my housemate, but I accidentally saw my Chromecast was broadcasting WiFi with a locked password while the nest mini broadcasted WiFi was just open and unlocked after reset. 

is that normal and what were the initial password? 

1 Recommended Answer

Byteguy
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

This is normal and not a risk.

That mini-Wifi was just the Chromecast saying "i'm not connected and need help".   It was NOT an access to your network.   That is what most devices (not just Chromecast devices) do when they need to be setup.  You just haven't noticed them before or the network names were hidden.

I have LOTS of wifi devices in my house.  When my network goes down I see all sorts of networks like this suddenly as they all reach out to say they need help; Chromecasts, smart plugs, smart controllers, dimmer switches, etc.  As soon as my network comes back up, all of these go away as each device reconnects and doesn't need help anymore.

View Recommended Answer in original post

1 REPLY 1

Byteguy
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

This is normal and not a risk.

That mini-Wifi was just the Chromecast saying "i'm not connected and need help".   It was NOT an access to your network.   That is what most devices (not just Chromecast devices) do when they need to be setup.  You just haven't noticed them before or the network names were hidden.

I have LOTS of wifi devices in my house.  When my network goes down I see all sorts of networks like this suddenly as they all reach out to say they need help; Chromecasts, smart plugs, smart controllers, dimmer switches, etc.  As soon as my network comes back up, all of these go away as each device reconnects and doesn't need help anymore.