cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Cannot Group Cast Youtube Music when Chromecast With Google TV is in Group

Shogungts
Community Member

Hello,

I am having trouble casting Youtube Music as part of a speaker group when Chromecast with Google TV (CCWGTV) is part of the group.  This wasn't an issue previously and I see there are several others that seem to be having the same or similar issue (see example links at the bottom), but all of those threads are either locked or stagnant.

Setup:

Google Chromecast with Google TV

Nest Audio 

Casting via Youtube Music app on Samsung Android phone OR voice command using google assistant saying 'Ok Google, play music on my TV' (both ways worked previously and now neither works).

Behavior:

If using voice command and I say to play it on the speaker group it will respond 'youtube isn't installed at the moment.  Sorry something went wrong, when you are ready give it another try' and nothing happens

If casting to the group via the youtube music app on my phone, the Nest Audio in the group makes a chiming noise, but no music starts.  A Youtube Music logo shows up on the TV that the CCWGTV is plugged into, but no music plays.  On the phone, there is a loading circle that just spins endlessly.

Recent Changes: None

Other things to note:

1. If I take the CCWGTV out of the group or try another group that does not contain CCWGTV there are no issues playing music via voice assistant or casting from the Youtube Music app.
  2. I have been able to group cast other audio sources from my phone (Google Podcasts, iheart radio) successfully when CCWGTV is part of the group, just not Youtube Music

Workarounds tried:

1. Checking the CCWGTV firmware is up to date (the device says it is)
  2. Uninstalling and reinstalling both Youtube and Youtube Music apps on my CCWGTV
  3. Factory resetting my CCWGTV and setting it up again adding it to the speaker group
  4. Creating an entirely new speaker group with the CCWGTV in it

Unfortunately nothing is working.  Please help.

Related Conversations:

https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Home-Automation/Speaker-Groups-amp-Google-TV/m-p/241503#M7545

https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Speakers-and-Displays/Cannot-cast-youtube-youtube-music-to-sp...

https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Chromecast/Google-TVs-on-a-Speaker-Group-Can-t-play-any-music...

86 REPLIES 86

Shogungts
Community Member

The only way that I am aware of how to do it is to start playing using a speaker or speaker group that does not include the CCWGTV and then go into the home app and select to add the CCWGTV.  

U-R-I
Community Member

Thanks @Shogungts yes, I am doing that.

But actually I was replying to @AndrewConner that mentioned something about "ask Google to move to the speaker group containing the CCwGTV" which sound like you can tell the assistant to add the CCwGTV to the group.

When I'm playing music on a Mini I ask it "Hey Google, move to <speaker group>".

My Mini is on the preview program 

Oh Got it, so it has to happen from a speaker that's already playing and then it "moves" its music to all speackers... Nice tip.

Unfortunately, it's not something I can include as an action in one of the Home app routines, and then make it happen automatically whenever I play music.

U-R-I
Community Member

@Shogungts and All, I want to thank you for this post and all the information that came with it.

I started with a couple of Chromecast Audio devices and loved it so much that I added more speakers with builtin Chromecast and then 2 more CCwGTVs, so now I have 8 speakers that support casting arround my aapartment.

I'm having this issue for a long time, and each time I'm playing music, I'm adding the CCwGTV from the Home app manually, which is really really anoying.

Only now I thought to look for it on the web, and I actually didn't have a clue until now that this happens only with YTMusic, which make my really mad as a Google One and YTMusic Premium subscriber.

I did turn to their support. I must say that I actually talked to several people through their chat and they did try to help, so from one hand I wasn't ignored, but on the other hand, it felt like they are not aware about this issue at all. At the end I was encouraged to "post feedback from the Home app for the engineering team to address the issue".

I already cancelled my YTMusic subscription, and downloaded Spotify.

Most of the people I know use Spotify, and I really tried to stick with Google and its YTMusic service, but now I feel really stupid.

Shogungts
Community Member

There was a GCCWGTV update today, but sadly this issue is not fixed

Cthirion
Community Member

Exactly same here. It was ok with chromecast ultra but never managed to make it work with google TV part of the group. 

Brocinco
Community Member

2/6/23 

This is still an issue! Ccwgtv breaks every soeaker group i have. Chromecast ultra works fine. I have tried every single pairing with my 10+ google devices and my 3 ccwgtv all break the speaker groups. I have tried reformating them, removing them, standing on one foot, spinning counterclockwise and still nothing. I reached out to google 3 times for this issue. One person told me that ccwgtv are not supported, lies, and she referenced an old article from google website. Then the tird person opened a ticket. This is very annoying 

Sadly I think Google support is mainly aimed at helping people that don't know what they are doing as opposed to when the issue is actually on the Google side.  In their defense, I imagine the vast majority of people who contact them really don't know what they are doing, but one would think that they would actually be able to realize when it is a Google issue and then at least log a ticket without you having to contact them 3 times.

I don't know if they expect their support people to know everything Google or if they specialize, but it has been really frustrating that the couple of times that I did contact support that I clearly knew the product better than they did.

bjagasia
Community Member

Having the same issue. Guess I’ll go back to the old Chromecast Audio…

gonzasant
Community Member

Hey everyone. Just bought a Google Nest Wifi Router and Point 2nd gen. Have my Google TV w/ CC also, and I'm running the exact same issues. Adding my grain of sand to give visibility to the problem, hope we can have an update and a fix soon.

Shogungts
Community Member

I don't know if they fixed it or I just got lucky, but when I just tried it start working for me again!

Welp... I tried it again this morning and no dice so not sure if they are working on it or if there was just some odd scenario where it worked for me. 

One thing that I noticed different (that I didn't think much of since I have occasionally seen it before w/o any adverse effects) was that all of my casting options were duplicated.  So for instance I have a speaker group named 'All Over' that includes my GCCWGTV and it (along with other casting options) showed up twice in my choices to cast.  It is not duplicating the cast options this morning.  No idea if that is related or a coincidence.

I tried today after seeing this and it works for me now too. Thanks for posting this.

On the down side, though, every time I now ask it to play "bbc radio 6 music" it asks "I think you want to play radio. Is this right?" so now my morning alarm routine doesn't work. 1 step forward, 2 steps back, eh Google?

Interesting... I tried again this morning and it is still not working for me after working that one time.  Do you mind trying again and sharing your results?

I've tried but I'm on the verge of throwing this piece of cr@p out of the window.

"OK Google, Shuffle my playlist 'Rock Heavy' on Living Room" - "I'm sorry something went wrong"
"OK Google, Shuffle my playlist 'Rock Heavy' on Living Room" - "I'm sorry something went wrong"
"OK Google, Shuffle my playlist 'Rock Heavy' on Living Room" - "I'm sorry I don't recognise that device"
"OK Google, Shuffle my playlist 'Rock Heavy' on Living Room" - <starts playing on phone>

zumazmusic
Community Member

I just tried it again. No dice for me. I can cast to my CCWGTV by itself but it still hangs my entire group up if I add it to an existing speaker group. It still casts to a speaker group just fine to my older Chromecast.

Didnt work for me either 

Brocinco
Community Member

anyone have any luck on this yet? does google even care?

zumazmusic
Community Member

Not that I'm aware of. I'm sure glad I didn't give away my original Chromecast, which still works great when casting to a speaker group. Sucks when a new product goes BACKWARDS. 😖

To be fair, the new product used to work but they broke it at some point

Really? I wasn't aware of that. Good to know. By the time I bought one, it was broken.

Yep - it used to work perfectly and I used it all of the time.  I didn't use it for ~a year as I was travelling and when I got back it no longer worked so not sure at what point it broke.

agmills7
Community Member

Same exact issue as OP. Going to be cancelling my YT music subscription. Spotify works fine to cast to the whole group that includes the Chromecast. Super unimpressed with how Google's own stuff isn't compatible. I recently ditched my pixel phones after being with them since the first pixel because I was having so many issues. Be better Google.

So it works with Spotify? I wonder if it works with other services. I was thinking of getting Deezer

It works with Google Podcasts and iHeartRadio as well - it seems to only be a YouTube Music issue

Hey amills7 - I just tried group casting for the first time in a week or two and it is working for me again so you might want to see if it works for you before cancelling...

Edit: To be clear I am not able to get it to work if I say 'Ok, Google play music All Over' (all over the is the group name I have that includes the GCCWGTV), but I am able to select All Over from the Youtube Music app and have it play all over which it was not doing previously.  So still not where it should be, but at least progress 🤷‍

You are correct! It is working but only when i choose the group from YTM. This is a step closer and im ok with this for now. Better than nothing i guess. Lol

Edy
Community Member

Hi, same problem here with YouTube Music and Chromecast built in. I feel very stupid being YouTube Music Premium and Google One subscriber. I opened several incidents on support system unsuccessfully.

Shogungts
Community Member

So I tried using Google Assistant to play youtube music as part of a group cast that included GCCWGTV for the first time in a while today and it.... worked!  It seemed to think about it a little bit longer than it used to, but it loaded after a few seconds.  I tried it again a few hours later and it worked again.

Has anyone else tried it recently and if so, did it work?

Edy
Community Member

Doesn't work for me. What version of YouTube Music do you have in your phone?

zumazmusic
Community Member

Well what do ya know? It worked! I added my new GCCWGTV to my "Home ALL" group and just successfully cast to the group! I also just updated my Pixel 6a to Android 13, though I doubt that mattered.

Edy
Community Member

What version of YouTube Music do you have in your phone?

zumazmusic
Community Member

version 5.49.54

Brocinco
Community Member

I have 5.49.55. 

Try deleting your groups on the home app that contain the ccwgtvs then recreate them. 

brandnewsunday
Community Member

Holy moly, it works for me too!

AndrewConner
Community Member

Yup, this is now working for me too. That's one glitch ticked off!

RY2
Community Member

I'm having the same issue as everyone else, everything is updated and cannot cast to a group with Google TV.  Spotify works hover, just going to cancel YTM ... amazing how Google just lets issues like this persist.

Shogungts
Community Member

Hey RY2 - I assume that you already did this, but you might want to check that all of your devices are up to date as this functionality was working for several of us that were having this issue previously; it started working for me again in March.

RY2
Community Member

Thanks, I did check.  Phone, Google TV and apps are all updated but I'm having the same exact issues many reported earlier in this thread.  Nothing happens when I select the group, but I can select Google TV individually and Spotify works with Speaker Groups just fine.