As of yesterday, the chromecast ultra that I have happily used up till then no longer respects DNS settings via DHCP/RA and what's worse, keeps spamming connection attempts despite the firewall properly sending replies that the route is not available. I have a PCAP if anyone cares.
The only indication of this was that the chromecast got stuck displaying the stock idle images.
This is very much not playing nice on the networking level, perhaps it would be possible to tell the engineers behind the veil that this is wrong? I'm fine with the device preferring 220.127.116.11 and 18.104.22.168, but it should at least not flood connection attempts if they are denied, and perhaps-I don't know-use the DNS server that it was told to use?
I apologize about the late response, thank you for being patient! Were you able to figure out that network issue? If not, I'd be happy to help out. Just to reiterate, your Chromecast suddenly disconnected from the network, and you're not happy about how many times it pings the network about the connection attempt? We can get this passed up to the engineering team if it's not acting as it should be. Were you still having connection issues?
I look forward to your response, and if you have any other questions or concerns for me, please let me know!
Likewise I am sorry for the delay, I have been fairly busy.
I don't really care about how often it attempts to ping google's servers, the problem is that it refuses to use the DHCP configured DNS. The chromecast just ignores it an tries to use 22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199.
That it then proceeds to retry infinitely despite being sent a ICMP reply with destination unreachable/communication administratively prohibited for each packet is just the cherry on top.
I can still use my chromecast, I ended up putting it on an isolated guest network so that it wouldn't continually bump its head against the firewall that does not permit outside DNS queries from within. This means of course that if I want to interact with it with say my phone, I have to switch networks on the phone as well, which is a nuisance.
This is clearly broken, either the firmware or the management decisions that lead to the change. Please fix it.
No problem at all! I went ahead and let the engineering team know about this issue, so they are aware of what's happening. To be transparent, it may be awhile before they could make any changes regarding the DNS configurations, but we'll provide updates if there are any changes!
In the meantime, if you had any other questions or concerns for me, please let me know. I'd be happy to help out.
We haven't heard back from Staffan, and it's been a few days, so I'm locking the thread. As always, feel free to make a new thread if you have any more questions or concerns.
Have a good one!