cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Disney Plus subtitles suddenty small, can't find a way to change their size

Julixg
Community Member

As the title says, the subtitles on Disney Plus are really, really small, a few days ago they were normal size, but now they are unreadable. I don't think the Chromecast, Google Home or Disney+ have a way to configure their size, color, etc.
Things I've already tried (and didn't work)
-Multiple TVs
-Multiple Android Phones
-Re-starting every device and the Router
-Re-starting the Chromecast (And a factory reset)
-Changing the size of the subtitles in the Disney Plus app while not connected to the Chromecast (This didn't affect the chromecast subtitles at all)
-Contacting Disney Plus (Pretty unsuccessful, for starters, they can't tell the difference between Google Chrome the PC browser, a Built-in Chromecast and a Chromecast 2nd Gen)
-(As a workaround solution) Screen sharing my phone through Google Home, but the screen just turns black when you open the D+ app while doing that

There have been more people with this issue in the last couple of days (As you can see in this Reddit post) so my guess is that the problem has been caused by a recent update to either Disney Plus or the Chromecast
Is this the best place to report it? I've already reported it to Disney+ (even tho they didn't even know what I was talking about, they assured me it was reported) I'm also unsure who's "fault" this is

96 REPLIES 96

Julixg
Community Member

Here's a picture, this isn't a really big TV and it's far away from the couch, so those subtitles are far too small

index.jpg

cutemug18
Community Member

I also got same issue, as I remember at the beginning the subtitle is larger and start from around mid of Dec 2021....the subtitle is go smaller that hard to see...but found that this just only happen on Disney+

cutemug18_0-1643814637859.png

No te preocupes, en Star+ también ocurre.

Same with MUBI. Found out today.

Littlezac
Community Member

Reset the device

MB3
Community Member

I have the exact same problem. Only in the Disney + app, it is really annoying. Tried a bunch of things but cant get it to change. 

Jlx
Community Member

I have the same issue, also started recently. Did anyone find a fix for this? On Netflix all is ok

Listedvej_DK
Community Member

Same here. Very annoying...

Salvequick
Community Member

Echo that. Most annoying. 😕

MrDobvchenko
Community Member

Got the same issue here as well, casting from Samsung tablet or phone. Tried changing any settings I can find, still nothing working!

lanui
Community Member

Same here. Casting from an iPhone 

PietervO
Community Member

Same here, streaming with IPhone to Chrome Cast.

florinus
Community Member

Pareil pour moi aussi.
Disney + d'un Samsung S9 vers ma télé Sony avec un chrome cast.

LXS
Community Member

Same issues

H68
Community Member

Same problem. Casting from Ipad or Android to Google Chromecast has the same problem. Subtitles very small. Didn't find any configuration.

dimip2
Community Member

Add me to the list.

Technical support is ineffective and this has been going on for a full week now. I'm even thinking of cancelling my subscription if this becomes permanent. 

H68
Community Member

Subtitles is not a hidden func. It is something used by most of the users (not en native). Google and/or Disney should be aware...

CFGoncalves
Community Member

Same issue here, casting from Android. Still no solution found - all other apps cast perfectly fine.

ErwinT
Community Member

Same issue here. Adjusted the subs size to large on my phone after this started, but it only changes the subs on my phone, not in Chromecast. The Home app should have an accessibility setting according to some but it doesn't on my phone (Motorola). Given the variety of phones reported here Apple and Android) I think we can conclude that it's not the OS.

I've spoken with Disney+ support, they have already several reports of this and are looking to correct it. Hopefully it will be resolved soon.

Those are great news, thank you for sharing. Hope they fix it soon, it’s super annoying 

H68
Community Member

Disney documentation : https://help.disneyplus.com/csp?id=csp_article_content&sys_kb_id=e1f45449db03d4d432f7c28d139619d7

It is written : "Google Chromecast
To customize the subtitle appearance on your Chromecast, follow the settings for the device you are casting from."

Disney asks us to configure the subtitles on the device/operating system we are casting from.
It is not written that it is made by changing the Android settings or it is made by changing the settings of the Google Hom app. It is ambiguous and the documentation of Disney has to be improved.

ErwinT
Community Member

It also doesn't work. I have changed the settings on my phone. It looks different on my phone now but not on the Chromecast.

garatuja
Community Member

Same problem here, with Disney+ and Star+(another Disney app). I've contacted Disney+ support, they really tried to help, but It was uselles.

H68
Community Member

The support coming from those kind of companies is ridiculous...
The documentation does not explain clearly how to cast from Google Chrome Cast.
Disney (and Google because we bought the Chrome Cast) please wake up!
We do not even have a blog (or some communication  canal) to communicate with Disney.
OK. Disney does not want to know... But the subscription was paid on time...

dimip2
Community Member

Almost three weeks on and no news.

Cancellation is not far now, I just can't use the service anymore. 

dimip2
Community Member

The app version apparently updated but the problem still appears. All the while the support ignores all demands for help.

If anybody can advise or find a way to improve the situation, otherwise I'll be forced to unsubscribe :'(

El-Tigre
Community Member

Same issue here.. please if you have this problem mention it here in the thread so it gets some attention and hopefully gets fixed..

dimip2
Community Member

I finally spoke with the online support chat and they were helpless. Worse, they pretended to discover the problem, which has been going on for a lot of users for a few weeks now.
Also the Twitter support account has never answered any of my multiple queries on that matter. 
I suspect that they know fully of the issue but are told not to acknowledge it for some reason ?

Anyways this is a shame and I won't renew my subscription. 

ErwinT
Community Member

Yes, we've been pondering for some time to switch to Netflix because over the past year we've seen most things we really wanted to see on D+. We're now staying mostly for the series. But if this isn't resolved, there's no better time to switch than now. We might as well leave and come back in some years and binge watch the series then. IF the subtitle issue is solved by then 🙂

But then again, they can take their losses from the small group that uses subtitles and quit now. Bigger countries dub the content, so it's just small countries and deaf people who need subtitles. And who cares for small counties and and the comparatively (to the full population) small number of deaf people? Not the big companies I'm afraid, unless they're forced to by public opinion.

garatuja
Community Member

I´m from Brazil, everything is dubbed here, but I can´t stand watch dubbed stuff, and there are others like me. I use the dubbed option just for my daughter.

I watched I tried to watch a Wes Andersen Movie with the small subtitles, it´s impossible! There are so many thing on screen. I watched This is Us, and it was fine, but just because I´m used to the actors voices.

H68
Community Member

Hi, I have called the Disney support (sympathic person) and Disney recommends us to configure the subtitles using the configuration of the Ipad (accessibility/Subtitles & Captioning/style/big font) (I am translating from French) but it has no impact on the Chromecast. I think they never tested this functionnality (and if it worked previously it is because we were lucky).

On Netflix, you make usage of the web app and through the profile you can configure the subs, font, color, size.
You save. Then you close the app (important), you reopen the app and the app does use the config (subs) you did through the web app.
Disney does not give us this possibility. They say configure the subs using the (for example) the Ipad config (what the girl at Disney asked me to do) but it does not work.

If I stop the subscription I am not reimbursed (one year sub).

garatuja
Community Member

I have one question for everyone here: witch are yours tvs manufacturers? Mine is a Samsung.

Samsung and Sony. Same issue on both sets… 😕

dimip2
Community Member

I also have a Samsung TV. 

Zanu
Community Member

I have the same issue, Samsung TV streaming on chromecast from my iPhone. 

tried everything and nothing works..

barefootcoven
Community Member

My tv is from LG and I have an Android phone and Apple iPad. Tried it with all devices in the house but nothing works. By following the steps that are on the Disney Plus website I changed it in the app, but when I cast to the Chromecast it's back to tiny unreadable subtitles.

lvet000
Community Member

Guys after almost going crazy with the absolutely useless client NON-support, ended up finding an absurd and clunky solution.

Instead of using the app, I'm using the Google Chrome browser in my android phone, forcing the webpage into "Website for computer" mode and browsing D+ from there. Once I choose a show, and its subtitles, I cast it from there and at least it's a temporary fix, until both this billion dollar companies figure out how to make it work natively.

garatuja
Community Member

I'm pretty shure I've tried this before, but, guess what: It worked! Thanks!