cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Disney Plus subtitles suddenty small, can't find a way to change their size

Julixg
Community Member

As the title says, the subtitles on Disney Plus are really, really small, a few days ago they were normal size, but now they are unreadable. I don't think the Chromecast, Google Home or Disney+ have a way to configure their size, color, etc.
Things I've already tried (and didn't work)
-Multiple TVs
-Multiple Android Phones
-Re-starting every device and the Router
-Re-starting the Chromecast (And a factory reset)
-Changing the size of the subtitles in the Disney Plus app while not connected to the Chromecast (This didn't affect the chromecast subtitles at all)
-Contacting Disney Plus (Pretty unsuccessful, for starters, they can't tell the difference between Google Chrome the PC browser, a Built-in Chromecast and a Chromecast 2nd Gen)
-(As a workaround solution) Screen sharing my phone through Google Home, but the screen just turns black when you open the D+ app while doing that

There have been more people with this issue in the last couple of days (As you can see in this Reddit post) so my guess is that the problem has been caused by a recent update to either Disney Plus or the Chromecast
Is this the best place to report it? I've already reported it to Disney+ (even tho they didn't even know what I was talking about, they assured me it was reported) I'm also unsure who's "fault" this is

96 REPLIES 96

florismk
Community Member

Contacted Chromecast support. They recommended sending feedback through the Google Home app, as feedback sent from there reaches the right team. And indeed, there is a Feedback option with the Chomecast device in Google Home. I've sent feedback, let's all send feedback so the right people become aware of the issue and the scope of it.

DoumDoum80
Community Member

I have the same problem.     I did send feedback to google using the google home app and will contact Disney tomorrow   Please contact them too - the more we are, the more impact

HelderM
Community Member

Problem solved by itself in the MUBI app. I hope it stays this way.

Linth
Community Member

Have you guys tried to change the CC/Subtitles preferences on your device? This helped me 

Yes and it didn’t affect the setting on Chromecast 🥲

florismk
Community Member

Yes, tried this because it's documented on many forums in discussions about this issue. The cc settings in Android do not affect this issue, despite even D+ insistence that it does. (In my last communication with D+ support, they acknowledged that it doesn't make a difference, and that there's an issue between app and Chromecast that needs to be fixed.) And why should these settings help? In-app subtitles for D+ are an entirely different animal than accessibility cc settings for Android. It would make no sense at all for these settings to affect the issue under discussion.

Linth
Community Member

Well it kinda worked for me. Tho the text is bigger but, sometimes its back to small. Not only that but its impossible to get off that annoying black background. I did the same on my ps4 (Accessibility) and it worked tho the font remained the same. It makes no sense to me either but it seems to be that the app uses CC and Subtitles from the device not from the app. Wich is stupid I know. But this is the only thing that partially worked for me. One thing tho everytime i want to watch something i need to redo the steps turning off and on the subtitles on my phone prior to open the app. So honestly idk. Same thing for Star+. If not they go small by default again. And I agree the problem is the app, they need to make own subtitles settings as Netflix or prime video. HBO Max has awful Subtitles for Chromecast too.  

Nicdrum
Community Member

Hey! I have been struggling with this for a long time but now it seems I might have found a way to get them bigger. 

I always used to turn on casting from the main view in the disney app, but what I noticed was that if I start playing the video before connecting to chromecast the font sizes are a lot bigger.

So, instead of connecting before you start watching, try connecting once the video has started. 

Would be nice to know if this works for someone else as well.

florismk
Community Member

No luck here. Would have been great. But when I start playing on my phone, and then cast, the subtitles are still microscopic.

Nicdrum
Community Member

I spoke too soon, tried reproducing the issue and "workaround" again but now it does nothing... But I swear I had it working on a few occasions today, I will try to re-trace my steps and see if I can figure it out and report back here if I learn anything new...

We've all been there 😆 it's just hard to figure out a way to bypass this problem.

florismk
Community Member

Okay, friends and neighbors: issue seems to have suddenly disappeared for me. Began casting Moon Knight from my phone this week, and every episode has thus far had normal-sized subtitles.

Didn't change anything myself, so the issue is either fixed in the app or Chromecast, or there's something in recent series subtitles that ensures they're not affected. Will take a look at the Avengers to check the subtitles there.

Oh wow. Avengers and Captain America have normal subtitles too. There must have been a fix rolled out.

garatuja
Community Member

It worked well here. It topo "just" three months!

Revan
Community Member

if you are on PC hold control and use the scroll wheel

Chaman
Community Member

IMG_20221122_194602_635.jpg

I cannot change subtitles' configuration either! They have this horrible blue background and I have tried everything listed on this post as well and nothing seems to work. Curiously, if I cast from my iphone the background turns into transparent black. It seems my problem happens only when I cast from my Samsung S9

florismk
Community Member

Just recently, I think less than two weeks ago, my subtitles were suddelly HUGE and on a grey background. Turned out the subtitles are finally influenced by the Closed Captioning settings in Android. I'd set those to HUGE in previous, failed attempts to solve the issue, back when this thread started. Apparently, Disney has updated the app to use the Android CC settings, and from one day to the next, the HUGE settings for CC were reflected on my tv. Went into those settings, changed the size and background color, and lo and behold: it changed on my tv, where I was casting!

Still weird though that they'd use an accessibility setting to determine subtitle appearance...