cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

New on Google TV: Control your TV with your phone

Grace
Googler
Googler

Watch it in action on YouTube

Starting today, you can find something great to watch on your Google TV even when the couch has eaten your remote. We’ve built remote-control features directly into your Android phone so you can power on your TV, navigate through your recommendations or even start up your favorite show right from your phone. And you can use your phone’s keyboard to quickly type complicated passwords, movie names or search terms. Try it on your Google TV or other Android TV OS devices by adding the remote tile to quick settings on your Android phone, or by visiting the Google TV app.

Having issues? Let us know!
While the rollout begins today, it will take several weeks for all eligible devices to gain access to the virtual remote. 

If you’re having trouble getting the virtual remote to work properly, make sure that you have the most recent versions of the following apps:
  • On your Google TV device (check via Settings > Apps > See all apps > System apps):
    • Android Remote Service version 5.0. or higher
    • Gboard version 11.0 or higher
  • On your Android phone:
    • Google TV version 4.27.8.93 or higher (note: if you don’t have the Google TV app on your phone, check the Google Play Movies & TV app instead)
If you’re still experiencing issues with the virtual remote, please drop a comment below so our team can take a look!
71 REPLIES 71

MrVacca
Silver Product Expert
Silver Product Expert

Just another reason why I’m HYPED for the Pixel 6 Pro to release!! 🤩

Ashepherdson
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

I skipped the pixel 5 waiting for the 6 ..  currently on a 4XL wife has the 5.. can't wait for 6 pro!!

Adorable
Community Member

I am too! 

userworx
Community Member

Google TV app is only available on Android phones in select countries. Google Play Movies & TV app missing too. 😞

JM-876
Community Member

same.  I am in Jamaica and I have no access to the Google TV app

dlaplant
Community Member

I have the latest Google TV app and the TV Remote quick link tile on my Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus phone. When I check the system app on my Chromecast with Google TV, it says "Android TV Remote Service version 4.7.377245813. I try to use this new tool on my phone to remote control my Chromecast with Google TV but it doesn't find my Chromecast device even though they are both Bluetooth paired and on the same WiFi network. Is this because the Chromecast doesn't have Android Remote Service version 5.0? When will it get version 5.0?

Jpar123
Community Member

I had this exact same issue. I went to the apps page, searched for and updated both gboard and android TV remote service and now it works perfectly. 

LordgodEric
Community Member

Like dlaplant I have the same issue with android tv remote service @ 4.73.... with no option to update it.  I can open the google tv app and add the remote to the quick settings but will not be able to find my Chromecast with google tv.  I have tried restarting the Chromecast but it did not help.  Please let us know how to fix this.

JillG
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

Hi diaplant and LordgodEric,

I'm looking into the rollout status of the Android Remote Services 5.0 and will post back...

(I don't have it yet either)

dlaplant
Community Member

Hi JillG & LordgodEric,

https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/09/27/hands-on-how-to-android-tv-new-remote/ 

I found the above article to be quite informative. In the section "How to get the new remote working", it says you can download the Android Remote Service v 5.0 APK and sideload it. Is that a safe and wise thing to do?

JillG
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

I personally prefer to wait for the updates to roll out rather than sideload but plenty of people sideload apps.  Official support would not recommend sideloading as it is circumventing their official update processes such as any bug resolutions or other issues.

Hoping for this update before I lose the remote in the pillows again.😮

dlaplant
Community Member

Just on a whim, I went to the Google Play Store on the Chromecast to see if there were any app updates. Sure enough, there was a Sept 14 update for Android TV remote service v 5. I ran it and now I've got the remote working from my phone. I'm liking it so far, but it's missing several buttons - Volume, Mute, YouTube, Netflix, and Input.

JillG
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

Interesting...I will check mine later and see about the buttons.

JillG
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

So the answer is that the update is still rolling out because mine finally received it.

The remote is pretty basic and controls are limited. Hopefully, there will be more buttons added.

dlaplant
Community Member

JillG,

Did you get volume control buttons? If not, the Android Police article I referenced above explains why and what you may be able to do to get them. Beyond that issue, I'm not sure why they didn't include the two application buttons. 

JillG
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

I don't have volume/mute buttons and honestly am bummed! I have a Samsung TV like the Android Police author. 

Sbieda
Community Member

Does the Android phone remote with Google TV work in Canada?

JudeF
Community Member

My app is updated to 4.28 on my phone and the icon is now showing Google TV in the Google Play Store but when I open the app it opens to the previous Google Play Movies app. I'm located in Canada so wondering what is wrong?

W1T3C
Community Member

Guys - I got it
Check If You have leatest version of Google Play Movies app, next check do You have installed "android tv remote service" in play store. If yes - magic button "TV remote" which You all search is in your phone "quick settings" !! (swipe from very top of screen down). Optionaly depend of Your launcher you can have some hiden toogles in quick settings.
If You want to set volume via app - go to chtomecast settings > volume control > set to chromecast volume.

Terezka25
Community Member

Díky moc , za radu.

Do u speak English??  I think I  know  ur saying but what does diky mean can u translate it? or all of it

Brausmith
Community Member

8 weeks later, and still waiting for my CCwGTV to get the required service app updates. Certainly longer than a few weeks.

Adorable
Community Member

Thank you, Grace!

Royadin
Community Member

This new update may have a lot of cool new features but one of the worst experiences I've ever had.. now you have to manually skip every single ad that appears, no more automatic skips or short ads that are done in a second. If you're not there to skip the ad, it's just going to play in the background. I can't even use YouTube as background noise just playing videos. I'm just going to get a ton of ads now and that's super frustrating. Please give the option to return to the old UI or automatically skip ads. 

Pastel
Community Member

Im very unhappy, I have a 3rd generation cromecast and just using youtube on my phone and casting it was way easier since I have to open youtube anyway, and can control it from there. On top of that I find the new youtube "app" bothersome since, simply casting was enough. Is there any way to turn off the new youtube "app" and the remote

AdamR
Community Member

How do I turn this feature off? User experience is terrible, doesn't stream most videos when I try, constantly drops quality, remote function is not responding at all, all this happened only when this update was implemented. I just want the old chromecast experience back, it works.

Bateful
Community Member

This update has almost broken basic functionality for me. I can't cast for more than ten minutes because the video stops. Tested with multiple devices. I'm paying for Premium and not happy with losing the main watching TV, especially since I can't downgrade to previous version. Not impressed. Google is not a two-bit company and I expected more due diligence before a major release.

Argh
Community Member

Omfg same here, it's driving me crazy my chromecast just turned into a $50 piece of junk. Good to know I'm not alone… please let me know if you learn of a fix

Matttc111
Community Member

I am unable to activate the remote function from Google Home on my Samsung Galaxy s21+

Chromecast with Google TV latest available version. 

Gboard 11.0.02

Android tv remote 5.0.39xxx

Phone:

Google TV app 4.29.24

Google home app 2.46.1.7

Android version 12.

Pastel
Community Member

WORST UPDATE EVER!

I am very upset about the new features, I have to spend twice as long to do anything with the remote🤬. Since the update my phone disconnects at random, but it keeps streaming and I have to stop everything to reconnect. Is it possible to turn off the new features since they are very bothersome and I use my cromecast less because of it!😠

Argh
Community Member

Agree, let us turn the thing off it is unusable

Argh
Community Member

Okay I am incredibly frustrated and I'm not sure where to go. I do NOT have a Google TV, I just have a regular Chromecast Ultra and it has been working just fine this whole time until recently - whenever I'm trying to cast my YouTube app from my Samsung Android device (both are less than two years old), IT KEEPS ON DISCONNECTING every 3-4 minutes (yes the caps lock depicts shouting). I can't watch anything and I'm trying very hard not to swear here. If it ain't broke don't change it, I want my Chromecast back and not this stupid Google TV and remote built in crap. I've tried rebooting everything and factory resetting the chromecast.

Argh
Community Member

How do we disable it please?!

croxlo
Community Member

Im having exactly the same issue, the only way i've managed to get "around" it is to factory reset the youtube-app. This however only works for a short time since the app then automatically updates to this new remote-thing.

croxlo
Community Member

As other have already said, please let us disable this "function".

My Ultra has worked like a charm for years and right now youtube (and only youtube, all other apps work fine) is almost unusable.

andyburke
Community Member

It seems like once the Chromecast remote is setup with your tv, pushing any button, not just the power button, turns on the tv. This is really annoying for my family since the easily pushed buttons are always getting inadvertently pushed by kids and butt cheeks. Any way to disable this?

Coldarima
Community Member

what about ios wont we get remote support the old remote app is awful

Royadin
Community Member

This is Google we are talking about, they wont' change anything unless they are going to make a buck to give us an option to go back to the old method. They probably being paid by youtube and samsung to do this crap.