cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

New on Google TV: Control your TV with your phone

Grace
Googler
Googler

Watch it in action on YouTube

Starting today, you can find something great to watch on your Google TV even when the couch has eaten your remote. We’ve built remote-control features directly into your Android phone so you can power on your TV, navigate through your recommendations or even start up your favorite show right from your phone. And you can use your phone’s keyboard to quickly type complicated passwords, movie names or search terms. Try it on your Google TV or other Android TV OS devices by adding the remote tile to quick settings on your Android phone, or by visiting the Google TV app.

Having issues? Let us know!
While the rollout begins today, it will take several weeks for all eligible devices to gain access to the virtual remote. 

If you’re having trouble getting the virtual remote to work properly, make sure that you have the most recent versions of the following apps:
  • On your Google TV device (check via Settings > Apps > See all apps > System apps):
    • Android Remote Service version 5.0. or higher
    • Gboard version 11.0 or higher
  • On your Android phone:
    • Google TV version 4.27.8.93 or higher (note: if you don’t have the Google TV app on your phone, check the Google Play Movies & TV app instead)
If you’re still experiencing issues with the virtual remote, please drop a comment below so our team can take a look!
71 REPLIES 71

avohra1985
Community Member

Google TV app is not showing Remote option on my Note 10 but showing on S9. Both phones have same updates and TV has latest updates. Some how I can control TV with S9 only .

Kim23
Community Member

Why is there no option for IPhone? I don’t have an android phone.

motmit
Community Member

Raúl
Community Member

Ayer compré Chromecast 3 ( el primero), intenté entrar al menú, configuración, la aplicación de control de Google TV no se sincroniza, pero si puedo enviar video de YouTube, reinicie de fábrica y nada, use otras aplicaciones de control en el celular, osea solo cast me deja hacer, que hago

Jimmy_J
Community Member

BEWARE OF @User123456  CAMERAS/NEST - I hope at least one person sees this post and DOES NOT buy @User123456 products.  I will continue to post frequently.

After being unable to stream my live camera feeds (battery doorbell and wired nest cam floodlight) to my TV as outlined in the @User123456  article here: https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/7529598?hl=en

I contacted @User123456  today and spoke with Helen.  She said nest cams only work with smart hub displays (even though it is advertised right on the box that it works with chromecast). She gave me some BS story about how the OLD cameras work with chromecast, but the NEW ones don't.  How would a customer even know if they are getting a NEW or OLD version of the camera?? Further, the setup process in google home even advertises you can stream to chromecast devices.  @User123456  even emailed me after setup (automated) about 'what your nest can do' and it included streaming to chromecast on your TV!!  Helen's only advice - submit feedback on the website, so here I am.

The NEST app on your phone is worthless.  You can't add new nest devices to it.  If you try, you are routed to @User123456 home to add it. The NEST app you can add via chromecast is also worthless.  There is absolutely NO way to even sign into your account.

Also, no 2-way voice for the doorbell or the floodlight camera!  The rep told me to use another cell phone.  Umm ok, sir, I have 456 extra personal cell phones just lying around.  It's a known problem with Samsung, yet @User123456 does nothing about it for at least a year.

I'm so frustrated and will likely never buy another @User123456  product.  Of course I'm out of the return window.  Seriously considering filing a warranty claim since the product does not work as advertised.

False advertising and doing nothing for service recovery is a very bad look, @User123456 . I spent nearly $500 bucks and neither product works as advertised. Unacceptable.

If anyone is considering a NEST cam, I would absolutely NOT get one.  Zero stars and beyond shi##y service.

Majyka101
Community Member

Hello come across an issue where the virtual remote ceases to appear for chromecast built-in TV.

nvh
Community Member

Remote app on iPhone is way too sensitive.  Can't get it to stop on the place I need to click on.  PIECE OF CRAP. AND my remote has stopped working and nothing I do will restart/re-pair it. Google needs to do better!

Ashinplymouth
Community Member

The remote on my phone works but there is no volume control so pretty pointless

Goe3rnx
Community Member

The remote control function in the Google Home app when you have a TV in your local network has disappeared randomly. It was working yesterday, and today the button is just gone.

For clarity again, I’m referring to the function that lets you control your TV with your phone. I have Google Home installed on iOS 15.4.1 and a Sony Bravia XBR-A8H with Android TV. Tried reinstalling/un-handshaking with the TV from the app/resetting wifi on the TV. To no avail.

Is there any solution to this?

gusrodriguez89
Community Member

Hi, I have everything updated as stated but is not working.

LeftyRobHaze
Community Member

I have the new chromecast with Google TV remote but when the batteries ran out, I added new ones followed the instructions.. I hel down home and back for 3 seconds  let go the light did slowly pulse but it wouldn't connect??

technogeek
Community Member

I'm still facing the same issue, everything is up to date. But after opening the remote, when the tv name comes in scanning the app doesn't let me connect to it.

Shibo
Community Member

I can't use 'TV Remote' inside Google TV app being on the same WiFi network as TV with Location On although I have required version (or higher) for both Google TV app on my phone and Android TV Remote Service app on my Android TV.

Amyknyc
Community Member

I have Android, husband has iPhone.  He set up his phone to control our TVs. But if he’s not home & I want to watch TV, I didn’t know how. He showed me and we watched together having turned it on with my phone. BUT, now HIS phone doesn’t work!? We share an email address so I can’t “invite” him.

Thanks,

#

Ashepherdson
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

If you share an email, you should be able to just log into the Google home app using that email address and have the media controls available to you on your phone.  

XavierG
Community Member

Hi, I don't seem to have any from of app remote control option for my ccgtv, I have a pixel 6 pro, so it's concerning for my perception of the platform 

Nikita29
Community Member

Google home is connected with my tv but the open your remote option due to which I cant control the tv via my phone. I have tried reinstalling the app, deleting and recreating the app settings. Please advise. 

Same here

DC613
Community Member

After about an hour or if i clear apps in the background On my phone, this stops working the only way to make it work again is android TV remote service under see all apps…clear the cache and clear the data.. So basically all the time..This is Google Tv on 2022 65’ Hisense A6H.. after Factory resetting twice i came across the heading about Android TV, remote service, and something about Gboard… So there is nothing I need to update it’s just a glitch and you just have to keep clearing the data and cache everytime it stops working.. Ios Up to date on iphoen everything up to date until it has the error thing and says “learn more” Except even learn more doesnt  take you anywhere so I just made this up and it’s the only thing that works… ??! So ill just have to do it forever until something changes.. but incase anyone wants to know i found a trick… and once again i can pair google home and google tv app.. until its not.. i mean shiit shut ur phone down and yeah ull need a remote .. back into settings back into apps on ur tv clear this clear that possibly disable then enable right away and boom works again… just over and over and over .. so what exactly is the deal.. I mean shiit man even my roku stick and app work on this with mobile in an hdmi port.. and thats roku… yeah a big deal now but nothin next to google come on now ?!

Anekka08
Community Member

My google home app on my iPhone is not allowing me to use the remote feature for my google tv. All of my apps on my phone and tv are up to date. I am at a loss for what to do next.

mosayyebpour
Community Member

I used to use google home control my sony TV. It is not working anymore. Whenever I choose remote section of my Sony device in google home, it starts blinking and nothing will respond unless I close it.

jdhittle
Community Member

Google TV app recently updated for PIxel 7 Pro and the remote control feature is no longer available. Is this a bug with the app?

PB7
Community Member

Virtual remote services missing on Google tv on Oppo a17 I have verified that it's the same version as on my Oppo a16. Gone to settings and floating remote missing on the a17 but not a16

dirk15
Community Member

My pixel 7 won't connect to Google Chromecast 4k as remote

dirk15
Community Member

android TV remote service not on the pixel 7 why

zedpha
Community Member

Great app, love the integration ... unfortunately, while I can cast to our Chromecast from the Google TV app, the TV Remote app just continuously scans for the device. Why can the Google TV app connect with it, but the TV Remote app can't? (Odd, since one is a component of the other.) Thanks in advance, Zane

Leontol
Community Member

Hi, my android phone (Samsung A32) was working with my TV streaming device Tivo Stream 4k just fine before OTA system upgrade to Android 13. Now in Google Tv app, there is no remote control icon in the right bottom corner. Instead, when I try to set it up, it shows "Connect TV" gray button, then when it is connected to Tivo Stream 4k, it says at the bottom of the phone screen" Connected tivo stream4k" , and when I click on this message, it shows "No media" message. (see links to the screenshots). Google TV app was updated to the latest version, and Tivo firmware too.

Please help!

Connect 

Connected 

No media message 

Leontol
Community Member

Looks like the remote icon had moved outside the Google TV app into Quick Settings, I've found it there now. But still it doesn't let me navigate Android Box using my phone or use phone keyboard to search, as I was doing before. When I click on the remote icon in phone's Quick Settings, it goes straight to the "No media" screen.

Tomknest
Community Member

My virtual remote no longer works, but it had previously been working successfully for a year or more. This happened recently, past qeek or so.

It is connected, but me actions on the phone do nothing.

Both phone and tv are up to date per the article. I also reset the app data and cache on my phones. Phones: pixel 6a and pixel 4. Google Chromecast with Google TV.

Hammadi
Community Member

I have Google TV app version 4.49.460.524965945.3-release [CA]. I used to get the remote previously. But since this week the remote is not showing up. Appreciate your support and assistance.

JB75
Community Member

I just upgraded to Pixel Pro 7 and my Google TV remote no longer shows up in the drop down shortcut tiles. When I go to edit and try to add the remote its no longer there. The shortcut tile is on my old Pixel 4 and my wife's Pixel 6 but not on my Pixel 7 Pro. I can only access the remote from the Google tv app or Home app on the Pro 7. Its no longer available on my Pro 7 as a shortcut tile in the drop down. All apps are up to date..

rohitsharma36
Community Member

Hi my virtual remote on Google tv is not responding. It pairs but nothing happens. Currently using version version 4.39.460.524965945.3-release of Google tv app.