cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Unable to set up chrome cast on new wifi

Eas
Community Member

Hello,

I recently moved, and have a new ISP with new wifi network. I’m attempting to set up my 1st gen Chromecast, and can’t get my Google Home app to recognize it. I tried all the troubleshooting tips in the help article with no success, then found two posts in this forum recommending to manually connect my phone’s wifi to the Chromecast SSID. I was able to do this, but the Home app will still not recognize my Chromecast. What should I do next?

7 REPLIES 7

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

If you've not done so already, factory reset your Chromecast, then try set it up using your new Wi-Fi network and password. Instead of factory resetting your Chromecast, if you're comfortable changing your router settings, you can change your new Wi-Fi network name and password in your router's settings to be the same as the previous ones. Your device should then automatically connect to the Wi-Fi.

When connecting to its SSID, try force closing the Google Home app.

• Android: Swipe up from the bottom, hold, then let go. Swipe up on the Google Home app.
  • iPhone/iPad: Swipe up from the bottom, hold, then let go. Swipe up on the Google Home app. On older devices with a home button, double-click the Home button, then swipe up on the Google Home app.
  • Turn Wi-Fi off and on again on your phone or tablet.
  • Reopen the Google Home app.

You may also want to try setup using a different phone or tablet as a test.

Eas
Community Member

Thanks for responding. 

I have already done a factory reset, and still could not connect. I could probably figure out how to change the wifi name and password, but I already removed the old network from my google home app when I thought that might be interfering with the new network set-up, so it’s unlikely to automatically connect. 

I have force closed the app several times during my set-up attempts. Is there any specific timing of when I should attempt this in relation to connecting to the SSID?

I do not have another phone or tablet to attempt this with. Is there a way to do it from my computer?

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

If you've already factory reset Chromecast, changing your Wi-Fi network name and password to the previous ones you had now won't help. As for using the setup SSID, this is what I usually recommend: First make sure both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are turned ON on your phone or tablet. Turn off mobile/cellular data. Force close the Home app, then:

1. Go to the Wi-Fi settings on your mobile device.

2. Open the list of available Wi-Fi networks and look for an available network with the name “ChromecastXXXX" (where XXXX is a random number).

3. If you can successfully connect to the Chromecast Wi-Fi network in your Wi-Fi settings, then open the Google Home app and try to set up the device.

As an aside, what brand/model of phone or tablet are you using? There is no way to do the setup using a computer.

Eas
Community Member

Ok, I went through the process three times with no success. The third time, I force closes the google home app, shut offBluetooth, wifi, and cellular, unplugged the chromecast, waited 30 seconds, plugged it back in, waited for the white blinking light, turned Bluetooth and wifi back on, connected to the chromecastxxxx network successfully, then opened the google home app, chose the +, then “set up device”, then “new device”, and chose a home and hit “next”. The shapes dance around for a few seconds on a screen that says “looking for devices”, then they fall over into a pile, and I get a screen that asks what I’m setting up. I choose chromecast and it tells me to plug in my device (which it already is, but I have tried unplugging and replugging at this point in the past). When I hit next, I get the dancing shapes again, and it just keeps looping around from there. 

i have an iPhone XR with iOS 15.5. 

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Would it be possible for you to borrow or a phone or tablet from a friend or family member?

Reason I ask is you could turn on the Wifi hotspot feature on their phone or tablet as a test. Connect your phone to the hotspot first, then attempt to connect the Chromecast to it.

This will help narrow down if it’s the Chromecast or potentially something to do with your router or Wifi.

Eas
Community Member

Unfortunately, this is not an option: I just moved to the area and don’t know anyone well enough. It seems highly unlikely that the Chromecast is the issue, since it was working fine a week before my move. What wifi or router issue might cause this?

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Sure, here are some settings to check on your router:

• Ensure you have the latest firmware update for your router on the manufacturer's website.
  • Chromecast (1st gen) only works with 2.4 GHz networks. For dual band routers, ensure you are connecting to the 2.4 GHz network for Chromecast and use separate network names for the 2.4GHz and 5Ghz network.
  • If you want to use a hidden Wi-Fi network, select Other in the drop down for network selection during setup and enter your network's name and password.
  • If you have a router with MAC address filtering, add the MAC address of your Chromecast to the list of filtered devices.
  • Disable "Access Point/Client isolation" on your router..
  • Disable "IGMP Proxy" on your router.
  • Disable any Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) or proxy servers, on your router and/or computer.
  • Disable auto channel selection on the 2.4 GHz band on your router and assign a fixed channel (1, 6, or 11).
  • Enable "UPnP/Multicast" on your router.
  • Enable "IGMP" on your router.

Note that all routers are different, so each setting may or may not be applicable to your particular router. Keep in mind that resetting or making changes to your router settings may have unintended consequences. If you have any questions or need assistance, we recommend you check your router manual or contact your ISP or router manufacturer.