cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hub Max not picking up motion?

B503
Community Member

I have a nest hub max with a premium subscription. For whatever reason, the camera stopped recording motion after about 1:30 pm yesterday afternoon. My theory (but I need help explaining this) is that I have an oscillating fan within the frame of the camera and I'm thinking that it just stopped recording because it was constant motion? Is it smart enough to do that?

9 REPLIES 9

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@B503 

It depends on what you mean by a "premium subscription". If you have a Nest Aware Plus subscription, it should record 24/7. But if you have continuous motion, it may not flag everything as a "Motion" "event" even though it's recording it.

I have a Nest Aware 24/7 subscription. What's strange is that it's like it almost blacked out after 1:30 when the fan was going and it didn't record events after that. It should have noticed me in the kitchen later making dinner, talking on the phone, etc. 

@B503 

When you check your history, what does the timeline say about the time period that's blanked out?  Does it say the camera was offline, or the video is not yet available?

B503
Community Member

It doesn't say anything, and WiFi didn't go down. It just doesn't have events in the history that were definitely there. The 24 hour history is there, but it's set to record motion and it didn't after that point. 

@B503 

I don't know how your 24-hour history could be there but your events aren't there. If you select a time in the history (like 2:00 pm or 3:00 pm), what is displayed?

It displays second for second my video history,  but events were bit recorded again until early this morning... It's the weirdest thing. It's like it lost connection to the events part but it was still doing 24/7 recording. 

Screenshot_20230429-151021.png

@B503 

That's your event history. If you have constant motion, Google Nest cannot detect and flag constant events. All of the cameras have some sort of undocumented cooldown period before they can flag and record another event. And maybe your oscillating fan overwhelmed Google Nest's process.

What happens if you go to History and scroll through the history for that time period in question?

If we scroll through the History on either of our newer cameras, we can see footage of happenings that were never flagged as events.

All the history is there. But no events. 😕

@B503 

You could turn off the oscillating fan for awhile and then walk through the room to see if the camera then detects motion events.