cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Multiple homes - will fire alarm notify Nest Protect at both locations?

chr1s
Community Member

I am considering to add Nest Protect devices to my second home also. Will the Nest Protect devices at the 2nd home tell me about a smoke alarm in the 1st home? If so, will it include voice notification and alarm sound?

6 REPLIES 6

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

No. Nest Protect uses a feature called wireless interconnect for this, which won't work as the devices are connected to separate Wi-Fi networks in separate physical locations. However, you would get an alert on your phone or tablet (as long as your Protect has a working Wi-Fi connection).

Learn about wireless interconnect for Nest Protect

chr1s
Community Member

Thx for your reply! 🙂

These households are in the same (big) house, both use the same WiFi. Currently I've only set up one home for all of them, so I know 802.15.4 is also working.

What about this constellation, what will happen, when I separate them in two "Google Nest homes"?

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Ah okay, I assumed they were in physically separate locations with different Wi-Fi networks. If both use the same Wi-Fi network, and that's how you want it to work, no need to put them in separate "homes" in the app. An issue in the first home will also sound the alert in your second home.

Ahalma
Community Member

I have a similar issue, I am unable to connect more than 2 nest connects to my home. I am seeing several error codes 24, 23, 30 when I want to add more. This is very disappointing. A work around seems to be adding a second home for my workshop and office. These share the same (mesh) wifi. Can you confirm if there is a positive direction all alarms will sound?

chr1s
Community Member

I want to put them in separated homes, bc every household has its own living room, bedroom and such. Voice announcements won't be correct, e.g. "somke detected in masters bedroom" is not uniqeunambiguous.

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

The requirements say "All participating Nest Protects must be set up and connected to the Nest app for them to be interconnected" but I don't know if that means they need to be in the same "home" or not. I'd be interested to know how you get on!