cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest Protect do not appear in Google Home App

Kawabunga18
Community Member

I just purchased 3 Nest Protect detectors installation and setup via the Nest App (iOS) was flawless. However unlike my Nest Door Bell post setup and installation the Nest Protect units do not appear in my Google Home app. Does anyone have a remedy for this problem or can it simply not be done?  

1 Recommended Answer

GoogleNestTeam
Community Manager (Admin)
Community Manager (Admin)
We can confirm that supporting Nest Protect in Home App is indeed on our roadmap. We understand that this has been a long desired capability and the team is fully committed to expanding Home App support to cover the much loved Nest Protect smoke and carbon monoxide alarm.

View Recommended Answer in original post

375 REPLIES 375

jrg167
Community Member

To make it all worse I see now that Google is dropping support for the Nest DropCam in BOTH Google Home and the Nest App staring April 8th 2024.   They offer a 50% discount to get new Cams from Google but those are only supported in Google Home.    So in a year it will be HomeKit for iDevices, Ring for the doorbell, Nest for Protects and Home for cams.  What next a separate app for each individual device?  

When Google dropped "don't be evil" from their official code of conduct in 2018 they clearly meant it.

DanCoco
Community Member

We need to stop buying any product that has a reliance on cloud infrastructure. The cycle will just continue forever where they decide to get a fresh round of sales by turning off servers. 

jrg167
Community Member

I do not see this as a cloud issue but one of legacy support.  That can be an issue even a standalone app (that will need to get bug fixes and will that new version support legacy devices?).

I encourage everyone with Nest Protects to contact google support and ask when Home will support Protects.

DanCoco
Community Member

Take a camera for example. If it uses a provider's cloud dvr, you pay monthly, and they can disable functionality whenever they want. 

Get one that is ONVIF compliant and pay ONCE for dvr hardware, and it will work until the hardware fails. 

Dont bother with Google support. People have tried and failed. Google isn't investing any money into Nest, and they really perceive no financial benefit to migrating the protects. (Until the customer base falls apart, which is starting to happen.)

Google demonstrated lack of concern, so the solution is to start buying another ecosystem of IoT as devices need replacing.

I'm preparing to migrate off Google completely as i'm able to put in the time. 

Have you researched alternatives already DC? I’m considering that upgrade path myself clearly there in no interest by Google to address this issue.

Excellent question.  Just looking around myself FirstAlert / OneLink (same vendor I think) have Apple HomeKit compatible smoke/CO alarms.  However at least the FirstAlert requires you to push a physical button to silence a false alarm and I'd like to also be able to use an app (that I can have at the ready if cooking something that might smoke).  One of those has Alexa built in as well (though I assume you can not enable it).

But looking for HomeKit compatibility seems like a good start.  Apple's Home app works great with my iDevices plugs and switches.  

jrg167
Community Member

A key aspect here I think is whether it is a "providers cloud" or just a cloud (or even your home file server) that is just storing bits.   Ideally I'd like to be able to point camera to whatever store I like and using the cloud can offer reliability and survivability not possible at home.     Such a product would be harder to put together such that it was fully automated with some default cloud for those that wanted that and allowed pointing it to a could account (apple, google, etc)..   I don't know of any that do that, but it would be great if there were some (or even one).  Likely having some sort of always on hub seems likely to help here so a product that is HomeKit compatible (as I mentioned in another reply about smoke alarms) might be more likely to allow this.  if only such were available today.

Msproul2
Community Member

I wish I would have read this before I bought one. I have a ton of google products and I generally love them, but this bugs me that I have to use the nest app on my smoke alarm and google home for everything else (including a nest doorbell and nest deadbolt). 

OldSchool1948
Community Member

My cameras, spotlights, and security system devices are Ring devices, which I can see and manage all in one place.  Ring isn't perfect, but I like it overall.  I use ecobee thermostats.  The ecobee app is very well designed. 

My Nest products are my doorbell and three Protect smoke/CO2 detectors.  The doorbell itself is excellent.  The app is a little cumbersome.  Google could learn a lot by reviewing the user interface and design of the Ring app. 

When I refresh my smoke/CO2 detectors in a couple of years, I'll will not buy Nest devices again unless this problem is solved - and I really like the Nest Protect smoke/CO2 detectors over all others I've tried.  

Iamrobs
Community Member

Google’s home strategy is completely confused. Multiple apps managing different devices. We want one App, one brand. Sort it out Google, surely you have the cash

Floppus
Community Member

Strategy... Haha, that's a good joke 👍

Lexfinity
Community Member

At first I just assumed this was an inconvenience, but upon learning that the thermostat is no longer compatible with IFTTT, I see now that the software is a broken, dead end. I honestly don't see why someone would buy one when they could find a much cheaper detector. Really disappointing and embarrassing. Please add some kind of IoT support. ASAP.

GoBeau
Community Member

I would suggest to anyone that reads these post with not solution or response from Google to go to their nearest store that sells GOOGLE products, buy $1,000.00 worth of devices.  Go home, open them all up out of their packages and the next day, return them all for a full refund as not functioning!  1 - the reseller will now have open Google products they cannot sell as NEW and will be sold at a lower profit, or loss (I doubt this, since the mark-ups are usually high).   Even better if the supplier would return these to Google as non-functioning as advertised!  MAYBE THEN, GOOGLE WOULD START GETTING THE MESSAGE OF EITHER FIXING THEIR PRODUCTS OR TAKE THEM OFF THE MARKET!  I also like the idea of a class action lawsuit, false advertising - products do not work as advertised.  I really “dislike”companies that think they can get away with this kind of “no support” after consumers have purchased their products.

CDub2020
Community Member

My 11 Nest Cameras, Doorbell, and Thermostat are being removed next week.  Nest Aware subscription was canceled as well. This is beyond ridiculous.

Where did you hear that? Googling it now but if you have a link that would be great. I have some nest camera so I was going to set up as pet cams.. Guess I'll pull my Wyze ones out of storage instead.

Kawabunga18
Community Member

I originally posted this FLAW back on ‎12-17-2021 06:33 AM and to date there has been ZERO improvement to the situation. A new face lift to the Google Home App why not integrate the Nest Protects @ the same time right? Not so much the struggle continues.    

DanCoco
Community Member

This issue is why i'll be migrating completely off Google as I'm able. Might even *shudder* go to apple...

HalbeEllgr
Community Member

Oh look, here I am in 2023... Anyone seeing Protect in the Home app? Yeah me neither....

Kawabunga18
Community Member

Yes, the pain & disappointment continues HalbeEllgr 

Matveip
Community Member

Hi,

still same problem on my side indeed disappointing.

did someone figure out how to add people in Nest to see the status?

nest indicated need to be done out of Google and has discussed can’t be done.

any idea how to have other members of your family seeing getting notification of Nest at least?

regards 

rmunir
Community Member

Go to Google home settings and invite family members to join the home. And they will appear automatically in nest. They will then have to download nest app individually on their phones and join with same email where you sent them invites 

ccampton
Community Member

I am pulling all Google products out of my home. They are wayyyyyy to controlling with their products. Can’t even change my doorbell theme without their permission. I’m done with Google. 

Mark_K
Community Member

What manufacturing what products are you going with instead of google

DanCoco
Community Member

I'm tempted to go with dumb alarms that just link to each other. Because thats all my nest protects do right now anyways. (Other than steal my data ...)

I havent spent a lot of time researching, but found that a few options are more expensive and my wallet wasnt ready so i didnt research more. 

Axel2
Community Member

I'm still waiting on the integration to happen. Can't believe it's been so long. Wish I could just use the Nest app or just the Google home app.

CDub2020
Community Member

I agree 100 percent.  The Nest app and Website works flawlessly.  My google home app crashes often and has much less functionality, and the website preview is a joke.  Google screwed this one up for sure.  I am beyond disappointed with this considering the significant investment I have made in my Nest products.

AdamChelaghma
Community Member

Adding my voice to this, it's ridiculous not having CO protect on Google Home

lstevens706
Community Member

fix please google. Making us use 2 apps is crazy. Integrate

lstevens706
Community Member

I spoke to their customer support. Very generic "we're working on some things, but can't gaurentee its this, please check back". I also received an email from them saying that we can submit feedback. To do this open the google home app, click on your picture in the top-right of the screen, then select "feedback". if we all do it - they might listen - but honestly I think it's likely a way to try and get us to just buy new products.

I recently brought a new nest camera - these can now not even be added to the Nest app - only the google home app. So on one hand they force me to use the Google home app, on the other they force me to use the nest App. Ridiculous.

Please return the camera. They treat us like garbage sending us to a blackhole feedback form (i worked customer service, it's a tactic to get people out of the support que to have a place to vent... Where nobody listens.) And bait us along... They dont deserve our money, or data.

grgid979
Community Member

still waiting!

Kawabunga18
Community Member

Just when you think you've seen it all, now there is a threat of cutting this thread off. I can only speculate this FLAW conversation has picked up some unwanted public interest and is creeping up the list of top threads on the board. It would appear to be a case of let's sweep this under the carpet and keep the (sheep) aka public misinformed about the limitations on the protect product. Shame on you google that's all I can say i'm STILL waiting for integration of these devices into the Home App this just reaffirms the lack of interest in LISTENING to the customer and our WANTS!      

To be honest, I would even be happy if they gave us IFTTT again. Return this product to the internet of things is all I'm asking. If they can't migrate the tech into Home, then give us some work arounds. Give us automations back in the nest app. Return works with Google or make Matter do what you say it's supposed to do! What are we missing here?

Here's what I really don't understand. How is it dozens if not hundreds of rando, sketchy third-party products can be so readily integrated into the Google Home app? How on earth can Google not dedicate one developer to handle this seemingly very achievable goal, one which has been met by far less popular and funded products? What on earth benefits Google to not apply some of their ridiculous fortune to their pitifully broken ecosystem of "Google" labeled products? I so regret jumping onto this platform.

CDub2020
Community Member

I know this may be a bit off topic, but is there a mechanism in place to allow Nest customers to sell back there Nest products that do not work with Google Home for the ones that do work with it?  Seems like that would be an option for some.  I'm like many folks on here.  I was not aware of this whole thing until I purchased a new Nest Floodlight Camera and was dumbfounded when it would not work with my fully functional Nest App.

I believe that would be counterproductive to allow them to continue to amass a fortune from us unsuspecting customers to continue the great work they are doing for Home App integration CDub. 8-) 

Sarcasm intended.

DanCoco
Community Member

/sarcasm/ Careful, they may start using the profit model they adopted for FitBit. 

Step 1. Make bunk firmware update.

Step 2. Test? Nah, push to production

Step 3. Oh it's bricking watches? Out of warranty? Do we send a rollback to prior update? Nah... Modify and rerelease? Nah. Abandon it. (My Versa 2 watch received the bricking update, somehow didn't brick, but they stopped releasing updates.)

Step 4. Discount code to buy a new one to bricked users.

Step 5. Repeat yearly.

Step 6. PrOfIt?

The only problem with the Nest Protect is they haven't bothered to design a replacement. 

Maybe ebay lol

rahuahuj
Community Member

What a joke!

So Google Home can add 100s of 3rd parties devices but can’t add Nest Smoke Alarms which is sold by Google. Shame!

Google gives zero f____ about your devices working right after you've given them the money