cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest Protect do not appear in Google Home App

Kawabunga18
Community Member

I just purchased 3 Nest Protect detectors installation and setup via the Nest App (iOS) was flawless. However unlike my Nest Door Bell post setup and installation the Nest Protect units do not appear in my Google Home app. Does anyone have a remedy for this problem or can it simply not be done?  

1 Recommended Answer

GoogleNestTeam
Community Manager (Admin)
Community Manager (Admin)
We can confirm that supporting Nest Protect in Home App is indeed on our roadmap. We understand that this has been a long desired capability and the team is fully committed to expanding Home App support to cover the much loved Nest Protect smoke and carbon monoxide alarm.

View Recommended Answer in original post

375 REPLIES 375

jrg167
Community Member

I went ahead and used my discount to get 2 new nest cams that I thought WOULD be supported by the nest app, but so far I have not been able to add them.  They have to be added via the google home app, which so far hasn't worked either but does anyone know if that does work, then will they show up in the nest app?  The communication from google (at least to me) clearly implied that while support for the old drop cams would end next year (april) that the new drop cams would be supported, but so far it does not seem to be the case.  All I want is one app that can support my Nest protects and the new drop cams.   I was pissed off about this before, and this hassle is not providing relief.

jrg167
Community Member

and to top it all off I used my own domain with google (and pay a bit for it) but it does not appear that such an email is allowed to use for you google home account (migration fails but no reason is given).  Oh thanks.

Newer nest cams are 100% Google home app only. I have 9 of them and the only camera the nest app acknowledges existing is my hub max

jrg167
Community Member

Verified that only @Gmail.com accounts can be used with google home.  

jrg167
Community Member

What was not obvious to me from the email offering a 50% discount for a new drop cam since the Nest App will drop support for the first generation cameras in April 2024, is that the newer drop cam is only supported by google home and not the nest app.  So you have to use google home if you want to use drop cam cameras, even the newer ones.  Google home of course does not support nest protects (the main theme of this thread) and I doubt they ever will do so   And to use google home you must have a google account with a <user>@gmail.com user name a workspace google account with a different domain will not work.  When Google dropped "don't be evil" from their code of conduct they clearly meant it.

Spaghetti69
Community Member

Nest aware Plus is increasing 30$. 2 apps still required to manage my home. Nah, just cancel it Google, f%#k you. 

Whatinthehell
Community Member

So I've just finally caved and migrated my Nest account to Google home, only to find that, after all the pressure to do it and constant emails before the deadline approaches on Sept 29th, my Nest Protects don't even show up in the Google Home app? Are you serious?

NestJoke
Community Member

WHEN ? 

ogsv
Community Member

When I saw the nice big G on the box, I didn't even bother doing a search before shelling out $135 for a Protect yesterday. Wow do I regret that now...

Alishatooke
Community Member

I know right - I bought 3 of them!!

So did I thinking Google Home intégration was already a “thing” boy was I wrong hence the thread kickoff. 

DanCoco
Community Member

Go straight back to the store with them. They do not function as advertised. Kiddie has one for 50 thats in google home, not sure what features it has in there though. Its on my list to buy

Louis71
Community Member

Hi community,

what do you think about organizing a shaming day about this product: the same day, we all post objective opinions (I.e. bad comments) on lots of different reseller website?

Maybe they will start listening to us. 

jrg167
Community Member

I have tried several variants of offering the web site for alphabets board and or the email for its directions for folks to use to (respectively I suggest) complain as I have done, but those posts have been deleted.  But search for "alphabet board email" and that page will provide a generic directors email for the alphabet board.  Whether or not email to that address goes directly to the waste bin or not, I do not know.

DanCoco
Community Member

I just posted in a fitbit thread about a new update, and i've since gotten 176 reply notification emails in about idk 36 hours? 

No amount of bad press will get Google to make smart moves. Though posting reviews and info about the product to inform potential buyers of the TRUE functionality of the detectors, would at least help other people to decide if spending 135 bucks for a legacy app is smart.

Clunge
Community Member

Just done so on Screwfix