cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Replacement backplate for 2nd Generation Nest Protect (battery powered)

amrchary
Community Member

Hi,

My contractor misplaced the backplate (mounting plate) and screws when repainting the house. How can I get a replacement?

Thank you!

Chary

10 REPLIES 10

AHRTAM2004
Community Member

Hi, I am having the same problem.  The painter took down 5 smoke heads but I seem to only have 4 plates.  I can't seem to figure out where to buy a replacement mounting plate.  I also have a battery 2nd gen Nest Protect.

cbenn126
Community Member

I have tried to get a replacement bracket and when I called Google support they said my unit is over 2 years old and won’t send me a new bracket. They told me I’d have to buy a new unit. I got rid of my google products and went with Vivint.  I have a perfectly good smoke detector I can’t use. Once my Nest Aware subscription is over I’m fully dumping Google. Tell me to buy a new unit, no way!!!!

freetail
Community Member

Hi. Could you please send me a new Gen 2 Nest Protect Mounting Plate? One was lost in a house move. Have just bought 7 more for the new place, so hopefully it's not too much trouble to send a replacement for the existing ones? Thanks.

RachieB
Community Member

Has anyone had a satisfactory response from Google on this? Why aren’t they producing a sustainable product that has replacement parts? Surely a backplate must be able to be sold rather than making people buy a whole new unit. Come on google, fix this!

clinttuttle
Community Member

I'm also being told the same thing by Support.  My Nest Protect says replace by 2028 but Google Support says I need to buy a new unit which seems wasteful and costly.  On other forum threads, I've seen people get connected to Nest Support and get an email to set up a replacement.  Can we get that hookup?

clinttuttle
Community Member

PS - Here's a thread where some people may have helped people get replacements: https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Nest-Protect/Nest-protect-2-mounting-plate-replacement/td-p/8...  

Google Support said they'd replace my plate at no cost if it was under warranty.  I offered to pay for a new plate and they can't process a replacement (even if I pay) when it's not under warranty.  So disappointing. 

clinttuttle
Community Member

Good news and tip to everyone still struggling to get a replacement backplate for your Nest Protect 2nd Gen.  I found that the @madebygoogle Twitter handle was helping people with this issue and requesting people to just DM them if they needed help.  Not even on Twitter so I created an account by signing in with my gmail and then sent a DM to @madebygoogle.  They replied instantly and had a new plate shipped to me in 24 hours after asking me to fill out a short support form.  My faith in Google has been renewed.  Hope this helps.

clinttuttle
Community Member

Just found a great workaround to get a new backplate if Google won't sell/send you a replacement.  I found this cad file online for the backplate (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3328392) which is the file you'll need to 3D print it.  I didn't have access to a 3D printer but found this marketplace (https://www.treatstock.com/) for those who do.  It's like Airbnb for 3D printers!  I found a reputable printer in my area and uploaded the STI file to them for a quote and got them to print and mail it to me for less than $15. ($10 to print, about $5 to ship).  Worked like a charm.  See attached picture.  The one on the right is the 3D-printed one.  The one on the left was the one Google eventually sent me after I DM'ed them on Twitter.  I actually am using the 3D printed one (which works fine) and gave the new spare to a friend also in need of a new backplate.  Hope this helps!IMG_1099.JPG

Skrapion
Community Member

Basically, you're SOL. You'll have to 3D print a replacement.

I just had two support staff in a row tell me that they could send me a replacement if my Protect was still under warranty, but there's no way for me to buy a replacement from Google. They both suggested I buy a replacement baseplate from a local retailer.

I don't know why this is Google's stance. I can't find any retailers anywhere in the world that sell baseplates. Why would they suggest I go on a wild goose chase with my local retailers?

"When we built the first Pixel phone just five years ago, we made a commitment to design our hardware products in a way that’s sustainable and puts our customers first." What bull.

Piotreq
Community Member

Hi! Is there a way to replace lost mounting plate??

Kind regards