cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

3rd Gen Thremostat Can't Connect to Wi-fi

jimsey
Community Member

My 3rd Gen Learning Thermostat recently lost its ability to see wi-fi networks. It can't even see them, let alone access the one its previously connected to. I did a hard reset and that didn't work. I did follow all the troubleshooting steps for my home wifi and found no issues. Nothing has changed on my end the thing simply stopped working correctly.

I've seen rumors that the 3rd gen has a bad wi-fi chip and google will replace it, is this true?

8 REPLIES 8

Ashepherdson
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

I have escalated this to the Google team for you 🙂

So what exactly does that mean? The point being, I'm not optimistic that anything is going to get resolved here.

Alia
Community Member

I am having the same exact issue. I have followed every single troubleshooting steps available, multiple times over and still cannot get my nest to find my wi-fi network or any network for that matter. It was previously connected just fine and lately it has been going offline a lot until it finally decided to not connect at all. I have restarted it and I have attempted to reset it. Now that it won't connect or find wi-fi at all, I can't even complete installation of it with my nest app and I just don't know what more I can do. My Wifi is working, my other devices are connected to it. It should be visible, but even prior to doing a reset, I tried to type in the name and password manually and it still couldn't find it.  What am I supposed to do? I even install the nest app on a different phone and attempted to complete the setup process from there, but it did not work either. 

Ashepherdson
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

At this point if the device has been factory reset already and it still cannot see any wifi network at all, I suspect the wifi chip itself is dead, which is why I escalated to the Google team.  My suggestion would be to contact customer support directly if you wish as it may need to be replaced under warranty if possible.  

jimsey
Community Member

Hi Alia, I doubt its any help, but I finally did chat with a google support person. They informed me that my wifi chip was indeed bad, but my thermostat was out of warranty. They told me to buy a new $250 thermostat after just two years and I politely told them I am going to buy a non-nest Thermostat. A thermostat going "bad" after two years is 100% unacceptable. 

jimsey
Community Member

Also, this forum is useless, its a façade of getting service, but no one here can directly help you, its just advice and troubleshooting from randos. 

Alia
Community Member

Hi Jimsey,
Yeah I actually  chatted with them, and they sent me a new Nest Thermostat that has a huge crack in it and I nearly cut myself on it. And after waiting for this damaged thermostat to arrive, which required for me to allow them to place a $200 dollar hold on my credit card that would be refunded once they receive my original nest app; I now have to return the one they sent me, and then do the process all over again. I'm sorry they didn't send you a new one, these thermostats should last years and years and since it is a known problem with their wifi chip, they should extend the courtesy to you to replace it even if it is outside the warranty period.

2ygore2
Community Member

Saw the same issue and response! I have to now BUY a new thermostat because the warranty's for 2 yrs only.