cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

E102 error code

Joebelew
Community Member

I have had my gen 3 learning thermostat all year and this week the device has suddenly not been able to use heat. The connection with the w1 wire keeps going out and it’s 45° outside. If I unplug the thermostat from the wiring mount it will reset the connection and the heat will work for about 5 minutes or less. My wires are Y1, G, Rh, W1. An electric heat source with forced air

19 REPLIES 19

Chobes
Community Member

Hey, I have a similar issue but different connections. Do you not have a common C wire? Did you try charging the Nest?

mathewsmd00
Community Member

I'm getting a similar issue.  Had HVAC guy come out he cycled it about 12 times worked fine.  Heat ran for 2 days and then when we got home from an overnight trip it decided to start having issues again.  AC works fine on nest.  Old thermostat works fine.  Once the nest throws the 102 error it's a hassle to get it back up and going.  Everything shows to be securely connected.  My system is a 5 wire system R, W, Y, G, C 24 volt electric forced air.  It's about 20 years old.  Google support said my system was incompatible as it is throwing the overcurrent issue.  However the HVAC guy said there should be no reason it wouldn't work considering the voltage and the connection.  I'm at a loss and very frustrated.

Matthew.. mine is doing the same. When on heat it cuts on for a few min. The off.  No heat coming out. Shows E102.  Any luck with yours? 

No my Hvac guy said there’s really no reason it shouldn’t work.  I just put my old one back up for now until I can research some more or google nest comes up with a solution or my hvac guy.  I’m very frustrated.  Before we moved the thermostat worked great with our old gas heater and ac.  

Same thing is happening to mine. Have had the nest for a year worked fine. Turning heat on for the first time this season and got an error code 104. Then reset thermostat w near support. But hear is still not coming on and getting error code 102. Any resolution to your problem?

This issue is all over the internet and Google cannot resolve it because it is a hardware issue with the thermostat. The only way for them to fix the issue is recalling massive number of thermostats sold in the market. Now, there are other branded smart thermostats without such issues. It is unfortunate that Google does not have a new version that remedies such malfunctions. I guess I will have to juggle between two different apps that controls Nest and Ecobee to change the temp for now.

Tvachta
Community Member

Installed nest 3rd gen about 4 weeks ago. Everything was working fine until yesterday when it began throwing the over current error codes. Old programmable thermostat works just fine in its place.

I have gas boiler for radiator heat. My common wire comes from my AC.

Were you able to figure anything out?

Chobes
Community Member

We figured out that we had to get new thermostats because Google doesn’t own up to their mistake. They don’t respond to us on this help forum either. Awful support. 

No I had to reinstall my old thermostat.  I’m very frustrated I have two Google Nest Thermostats and neither one of them can be used right now.

Tvachta
Community Member

As I've seen on other posts it just looks like I'll have to switch to Honeywell.

Shultz11
Community Member

Google wants us to buy a power connector and have someone install it got 130.00. This is some scam. Our nest has worked for 2 years now irs a wiring problem.  Google is scamming us!

Chobes
Community Member

I agree. Now We have a $250 doorstop…

KIngKong
Community Member

Google has been resting on their laurels for way too long.  Their high-priced thermostats are not so reliable - my Gen 2 Learning thermostat threw the over-current (E102) error code.  Had my HVAC guy check the system - no issue and it worked fine with a Honeywell thermostat.  I also plugged in another Nest thermostat and that too worked fine.  Bottom-line, my $250 investment just turned into junk!  Also, what's the Google team up to?  They've botched up the mobile UI by moving away from Nest to Google Home - which is an abomination,  Sundar, are you listening?  I for one will never buy another Google product! 

Ylago33
Community Member

Hola mi termostato no prende mi calefacción que puede ser acabo de conectar un nest Termostato

Chobes
Community Member

Ok Everyone listen up! It has been a year with no response from Google. I have decided to try and do something so I filed a Consumer Complaint to my State’s Office of Attorney General, Bureau of Consumer Protection. I included the purchases I made (thermostat, replacement base per Google support recommendation, additional relay to try and fix the heating turn on issue), communication history with Google Support regarding this issue, and referenced this forum and another to show the same issue affecting several others. In the complaint I asked for a full refund of everything I purchased. I got a reply from the Attorney General office saying they have forwarded my complaint to the business and expect a written reply in 21 days. I can’t say that this will actually do anything but at least there is some governmental weight behind the issue. I encourage everyone to do the same! Contact your states AG office and file a consumer complaint including the factual information about the sequence of events. Maybe with enough complaints Google will do something. 

Chobes
Community Member

I did get a response back from Google about my request for refund but in short they said the warranty is expired so pound sand. My Honeywell T9 has been working fine between AC and Boiler Heat no issues since install. 

Marius1
Community Member

The issue guys is NEST product. I used them for 5 years without any issue. Moving to a new home, replacing BEE with NEST big mistake. Both NEST thermostats that I bought in 2021 are defect - each one have been replace by Google after few month of functioning well, but at some moment started to behave bizarre - as you describe here, or starting the AC in heating mode or heating in cooling mode. Unfortunately looks like they are having a production issue - maybe some components have been replace inside but for sure there is a huge lot with fabrication issues. 

souroalways
Community Member

Hi everyone, I am also in the same as many of you. Bought a home this summer , AC ran fine. First few days heat also ran fine. Now it throws error e102 within a min of starting. Also I noticed the heater turns on everyday morning around 7 am. I am at a loss . Please let me know if anyone got a solution.

Ditch the nest. It's an awesome smart device but not a good HVAC accessory. Honeywell products are reliable HVAC accessories and mediocre on smart device features, but reliable is my priority. Been happy with my Honeywell for almost a year.