cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Heat won’t stay on at night

FreezingTnxNest
Community Member

I’ve had this thermostat for about 2 month now. I don’t have it on “learning” because it wasnt learning, I don’t have the schedule set up either bc this thing just does whatever the heck it wants to do. I literally have to reset it daily. I wake up freezing every morning bc it won’t keep the heat on unless it’s a 75* day, it’ll blow all day and cooperate to my adjustments. When the 32* nighttime comes, it says it’ll be over 2 hours to heat my house (even when Ive had it set on 72) the temperature just drops, instead of heats. Every time I have tested the heat it does not work, but the heat will work all day long, when the night time comes it’ll come on for less than a minute and then shut back off till about 9 AM the next day or so. I have reset, restarted and removed this thing so many times, I have rewired it, that’s not the issue, I’ve checked the furnace, That’s not the issue either. I have had zero issues with my heating and air until I put this nest thermostat on. What is the problem? Ive done all the troubleshooting every single night for the past two months, it’s getting really irritating freezing every night and messing w this stupid thing. I’m about to rip the **bleep** thing off and throw it back to the **bleep** Google company and go back to the 10 year old thermostat I had on here! @User123456 @Nest @googlenest 

89 REPLIES 89

sunnydzu
Community Member

I have my HVAC guy came today, everything works fine on my furnace. It turns on and off during the days not getting to the temperature, and at night time, it shuts off completely. GOOGLE, do something about this!! 

LRizzy
Community Member

Help i been having the same issue for a few weeks now, I'm having a hvac tech come out on Saturday to check it out

budweyers
Community Member

I am also experiencing this issue with my heating system but only on one zone of my two zone (upstairs/downstairs) hydronic baseboard system with a tankless combi boiler. Never had an issue for years until the start of this year. I have two different models of thermostats (The E thermostat and Gen 2 thermostat) that don’t require C wires. The upstairs works as expected with both thermostat models but downstairs neither will maintain the heat through the night. I am at a loss as to why this is happening. 

Etta
Community Member

Same issues as everyone!! When orange and not “heating” I turn the temp all the way down for a few seconds and then back up which kicks everything back on. I too have tried changing different settings and it appears to work for a few days but goes back to doing its own thing. I wanted a smart tstat - but not a too smart one that has a mind of its own. Our HVAC friend said he’s replaced numerous Nests because they are too smart. Please google - fix this or I’m going to Honeywell as he suggested!

Felonyous
Community Member

I have had the same issue for about a month now. When checking the power under the Technical info tab I found my battery was very low. I took it off the wall and charged it with a usb charger. The thermostat is working properly again for how long who knows but give that a try and see if it helps resolve the issue. It’s not a long term fix but if I have to manually charge it for 2 hours a couple times a week then it seems like it’s the best solution out there for now. Good luck!

Minnow
Community Member

Talked with an electrician bc we had the same issues and he said that he’s seen this with multiple homes. Nest ONLY works when you pass by it at least once an hour to prove that you are home. Setting it to “home” doesn’t actually do anything, it wants proof of life. So if you’re a sleepwalker, this thermostat is for you. 

Goldenforde
Community Member

Reset auto-schedule. Once it reset go to Nest Sense and turn off auto-schedule off!  

Megan966
Community Member

What is the solution to this issue?? We just moved into thus house and we are freezing every morning! Help!!

Jacelyne
Community Member

We been having this thermostat for more than 10 years and it had never had an issue until this year is doing Exactly what you said yours is doing I don’t know what else to do its so frustrating, it works only during the afternoon and thats it 

Jcaballero
Community Member

Same issue as everyone else. No fix?

***Update*** I replaced my flame sensor on my Goodman furnace (myself) for $6.98 on Sunday. OEM Upgraded Replacement for... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ECEF0V4?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share . Took me less than 10 minutes. Heat stays on now. You can also clean it with steel wool instead of replacing.

RyanM1
Community Member

Same issue. No help from Google. They just said replace the air filter. Did that, still doesn't work at night.

RyanM1
Community Member

Hey all. I went around and around with google. followed all of their suggestions and nothing fixed it. I ended up just ditching the entire system and put in a regular old digital nonprogrammable thermastat and have been happier ever since. The nest has too many issues and google is not in the customer service game, they just want our data to sell to the highest bidder, so I would recommend everyone stay away from this product.

Bdub11886
Community Member

Been having same issue as everyone else. Had no heat from 9ishpm to 6isham. Tried very thing everyone said and two time with support and nothing worked. Full resets didn’t either. Two nights ago went in the reset setting on the thermostat and reset the schedule settings and poof the heats worked the last two nights. Hope maybe it helps someone and hope it keeps working for me. 

Slainte
Community Member
Good day,
Last winter I contacted my HVAC contractor who indicated it’s a known issue.
-He disconnected the fan furnace input, to the Nest, stating it sends a faulty signal to the furnace. Not sure why it only stopped running at night, but it’s been working since last winter without issue (knock on wood) since we’ve been in the 20’s this past week & teen’s tomorrow.
Hope this helps. Stay warm!!

Well mine worked for a total of two night after my post and last night stopped again a night. Do you know which wire he disconnected. Like the label or color. Willing to give it a try and see.

jstcallmeandres
Community Member

Really sad to be back on this thread a year later.

I did reach out to Google's support team via chat and they were helpful. Not sure if the fix is going to work yet, but here is what I was instructed to try:

• In the app, turn off auto schedule
  • On Nest thermostat, select nest settings gear icon.
  • Scroll and select "Reset"
  • Select "Schedule"
  • Reset schedule

They asked me to monitor the thermostat for the next 24 hrs. Sadly, I will be on vacation for the next week, but I should see if I get an email saying my thermostat wasn't hearing (like I have been the last few nights).

Hope this can help y'all. If not, we all need to reach out to the chat support and continue bringing it to their attention.

Did same thing few nights ago. Worked two nights then back to no heat

Mrwilcox
Community Member

We've been experiencing this for three nights straight. The heat won't come on once we go to bed and I've had to either factory reset it or restart the nest each morning to fix it. Every morning it's less than 58 and having to fix the thermostat really is a bummer. I haven't had a permanent fix yet since as I'm typing this the heat won't turn on. How has Google legit ignored this for over a year??? This is crazy. I would never recommend Nest based on this.

Also my phone/Google warned me this morning that something is wrong with my heating since it dropped dangerously fast last night. I just wanted to reply and say it was the Nest!

Tclee
Community Member

Like many of you guys here, having the same issue. My question to everyone is, why not just removed the nest and go with something line a Honeywell digital thermostat. In all my years I have never had issues with those. Sure the nest looks 10x better but is it really worth it at this point...I live in the northeast and the winter is about get brutal here.

Fenulwealth
Community Member

Having same issue here. Why google not addressing it yet.!!!!

EdPgh
Community Member

Hi. Just came across this thread. Looking for some help with a similar problem. I want to make sure that we’re all experiencing the same thing. My nest is set to lower the temp to 67 at 11PM  and bring it up to 70 at 7 AM. But if I wake up during the middle of the night, the house is freezing. Early this morning it was in the 50s. I don’t understand why it would go colder than the overnight temperature I have it set for. Is this kind of what you guys are all talking about all year? I’m new to this thread. 

Daver23
Community Member

Same issue here. 

EdPgh
Community Member

Sorry everyone. I should’ve been more thorough. I wanted to add that my nest is controlled by Alexa. That’s where the settings are to lower the temp at night and bring it up in the morning. And we use voice commands as well. But we never tell it or set it to get so awful cold at night. hoping someone has an answer soon. I really feel for those of you with kids. 

fr2uk
Community Member

I've the same issue. I know that it will start working again at exactly 9am in the morning. I disabled any smart feature from the app, but will always wake up to a freezing cold house. That's insane. What a waste of money that was

R2D267
Community Member

I started to have this issue this week.  My software version is 6.2.27.  I have tried evert that has been suggested here and still not working.  Will reach out to best support.

fr2uk
Community Member

I am now 100% sure this is a Nest issue. I have just replaced the Nest thermostat with a different brand, and it came on straight away. The Nest thermostat is trying to be too clever. Even with all the features disabled, it does not work during the night.

I am actually so disappointed in Nest/Google.

Ascencioyadir
Community Member

I sit here writing this at 2:00 Am. Having the same issue I finally caved having a sick 4 year old. The **bleep** Nest would run fine during the day and at night freeze us all to death. I switched to my original non smart thermostat and guess what. The heat came roaring back on. I guess some things aren’t meant to be smart. Never using a nest thermostat again. 

Tclee
Community Member

So just wanted to update everyone. I had the same issue as everyone here with their nest thermostat. I have a heat only propane system. What I ended up doing was contacting HVAC and they ended up replacing my expansion tank and furnace relief valve. When those replacements did not fix the issue, they notice that the system was not starting and igniting (kept trying to start and shut downs after a few tries). They ended up scraping and cleaning some of the soot that was built up in the furnace and now my heating system works again. I am currently running two nest, one upstairs and one downstairs. It's been about two weeks and so far the heat is working as it should. For anyone that maybe having issues with their nest, make sure your furnace system is checked and serviced first. 

Yensid78
Community Member

I'm having the same issue. I live in SE Virginia so our winter temps don't get crazy. I've had this nest thermostat for roughly 6+ years. My HVAC system is about 6 years old and is an electric forced air system. So I have a blower unit in my attic and am outside unit with the condenser and the fan.  Never had this issue before until this year....

My issue has nothing to do with time of day but rather outside temp. It appears to be 40f. So if it's colder than 40f then my blower kicks on as expected BUT the outside unit will not turn on. So the blower just end up blowing cool air into the house. Until eventually, it turns on the more expensive auxiliary (emergency) heat which then heats the house but again, the outside until still won't run. And heating with just auxiliary heat (without the aid of the outside unit bringing in warm air) is very expensive. 

I've now tried the things mentioned in this thread (turned off safety, eco, auto schedule) and reset the nest so we'll see if it happens again.

I've had HVAC out here once already but the system was working fine when they were here. Im now pretty sure it was because it wasn't cold enough outside. I told them I thought it might be the capacitor or some kind of relay switch because the problem seems to only happen at night/when the temp drops below 40f, but they said the capacitor and condensor looks fine. 

I'll keep this updated if I find out anything else or if it's fixed now that in turned off all the"smart" features. 

Update Jan 2023 - I've been using my old trane thermostat and everything is working fine. Nothing ended up working so just had to replace the thermostat altogether. 

jstcallmeandres
Community Member

Re-commenting here, as I do see more people commenting.

I have had my heater working perfectly now for the last month (since I last posted).

The steps Google told me to take helped, but I also want to mention one other potential fix (which might have been my issue all along):

2 years ago (which is right around when I started experiencing this issue) I also bought smart temperature sensors for all my rooms. I set my Nest to use a different sensor depending on the time.

I also disabled this and set it back to always using the thermostat itself instead of another sensor and everything is good again!

ItsZe
Community Member

I took mine off the wall and charged mine via USB port and it worked fine after that.

Miche
Community Member

I've been experiencing the same issues with my nest. I have 4 nest thermostats and 2 of them have been doing the exact same thing that I've been reading on this thread. I've had 2 HVAC companies come out and $700 later the problem has has not be fixed. Very frustrating at this point. Google needs to fix this problem or do a recall on their product.

Bdub11886
Community Member

is everyone’s problem with the nest learning one. The more expensive one? Has anyone had problems with the cheaper one. 

Slocko
Community Member

Same problem here. Ac company doesn't find any issue.

Bout to give up and go back to normal thermostat.

For now I've turned off Heat Pump Balance which tries to intelligently control when it's on or off to save money on heating.

Let's see how it goes.

Mcla8
Community Member

Has anyone found an actual solution to this issue? It seems we all have the exact same problem based on descriptions. I have 3 nests in my house, yet only one has this malfunction (stops heating at night, saying it is heating with cold air blowing; seems to function fine during the day). I tried troubleshooting with google and they were absolutely not help. 

Mcla8
Community Member

By the way, I am running a Nest Thermostat (not the “E”). It’s a brand new house with new furnaces and, as mentioned, it is only the one thermostat with this bizarre issue.

Yensid78
Community Member

Unfortunately no. Google support was a joke and I tried all kinds of troubleshooting as well as had two HVAC guys look at it and still could not fix it. Swapped it out with my old trane thermostat and everything has been fine since. The nest thermostat ended up causing me an electric bill that was 3x as much as it usually is this time of year. 

Slocko
Community Member

I gave up and went back to a normal thermostat.

Works with no issues.

I do miss the ability to change to temperature from my phone, but I can live without it for now.