cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Learning thermostat

Scarlettsdad
Community Member

I just installed my Nest Learning thermostat.  When I set it up, it automatically chose that I have a heat-pump but I have a gas system.  I can't find anywhere on the system to change the setting.  How do I change the settings so that my new thermostat knows that I have a gas system and not a heat pump?

I went through all of the setting on the thermostat its self.  I can change a lot of settings, but not my type of heat.  It's like it will only work for heat-pumps. 

My issue is that it calls for auxiliary heat which uses a white wire (W1).  But that wire turns on my AC.  My system doesn't even have Auxiliary heat!

5 REPLIES 5

laurentbourg
Bronze
Bronze

Try on the Nest device, settings -> equipment -> continue -> done and it should prompt you to making changes

Does this work for the 3rd Gen thermostat?  I have the 3rd Gen Learning Thermostat. 

I found the equipment tab in setting but I could never get it to change.  It wouldn't even highlight that tab so it could be changed.  It never gave me an option to change the heat type.  I tried changing it through the app too but no luck.

I uninstalled the Nest thermo and reinstalled the old one so we could use furnace again.  I will reinstall the Nest thermo and see if it works.

Yes it should be available in the Equipment section of the 3rd Gen. Factory reset and reinstall for a clean start and let us know if any further issues. 

I called Customer service.  I had the orange wire (for the humidifier) connected to the OB tab.  They recommended removing it.  By connecting a wire (any wire) to the OB tab, it automatically told the thermostat that it was a heatpump.  Once it was removed, it allowed me to change it to gas heat.

Thanks for your help.

Ok great glad it all worked out.