cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Modes on thermostat

jenniferhyatt3
Community Member

My learning thermostat only shows heat and off mode no cool or heat cool

9 REPLIES 9

johnCNA
Bronze
Bronze

During setup, you specify what type of system you have and the Nest determines what wire connections it 'sees'.  Try looking in the 'Equipment' menu on your Nest.  It should show a connection at 'Y' for cooling.  If not, check your wiring to be sure your connection to the Y terminal of the Nest is seated properly.

I have nothing in y oh my I am so confused

I have heat 1 and 2 for some reason

johnCNA
Bronze
Bronze

Did you take a photo of your old thermostat wires before disconnecting it?  Did you install it yourself?  Heat1 and Heat2 are referring to a 2-stage furnace. If you have a basic furnace, the wire for cooling might have been connected to Heat2 (W2) instead of the Cooling (Y) terminal.

Pull the Nest off the wall and look at the wires.  The typical color codes you will see are W-white wire, Y-yellow wire.

Do you have a yellow wire going to W or W2?  If so, move it to the Y terminal.

The wire to w2 is green I moved it to Y1 and now I have all modes. Is that right?

johnCNA
Bronze
Bronze

Yikes - this is spinning out of control quickly.  See if any of this matches up with what you see.  A very typical wiring would be as below, for a typical gas furnace and A/C system.  You need to be careful with this or you could blow a fuse on your furnace or damage your Nest.  Before making any other changes, list what colors that you have going to which terminals.  Specifically, do you have a Yellow wire connected anywhere?

Rc or Rh - Red wire - Power
W1 - White wire - Heat
Y1 - Yellow wire - Cooling
G - Green wire - Fan control
C - Blue/brown/black (varies) - Power common
You might not have anything connected to your C terminal - (no blue/brown/black)

These are 'standard' conventions but there is no guarantee that your house is wired this way.

White wire - w1

Red wire RH

Green wire Y1

Blue wire C

Well, if that's the only colors you have and you had A/C with your old thermostat, then green has to go to Y1 to control Cooling.

Thank you so much for your help. I appreciate you!