I have nest third generation thermostat and nest E installed on different modems.
This problem only happens while adding Nest E to a Vodafone router so I guess it has something to do with the Vodafone Router setting
When I try to add the Nest E I get " Something went wrong TD006 (6007) error
I have tried resetting the thermostat. I also created a new 2.4ghz wifi network on the router - the MAC address shows in grey
Anyone have a clue what setting needs to be changed (My 3rd generation next works perfectly on the same router)?
Also looking for help with this problem. Previously worked well with Virgin fibreoptic broadband, but have changed to 3 5G ZTE mobile broadband and encountering exactly the same error code (TD006 (6007)) and when I try again I get TD004 (4060). Sometimes the wi-fi network comes up for me, but as soon as I try to connect I get one of the same 2 error codes.
Sorry to hijack your post vdabral, just hoping to be included in the solution.
Thanks for reaching out. I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues with connecting your Nest Thermostat to your Wifi. I see that you've already tried some troubleshooting steps to resolve this. If yo haven't yet, please try the steps on this link to isolate the issue.
Let us know how it goes.
I'm having the same issue, carried out all trouble shooting multiple times. It's a first time set-up, get the the wifi point, select network, add password, hit connect and then it takes a moment it is sometimes instant and throws a variety of 'TD0...' error codes at me.
I've tried basic and advanced settings on the router, resetting both the router and the Nest multiple times, removed booster to avoid interferences. It's driving me crazy!
Any one cracked it yet??
I have the Nest E
I am glad to hear that the issue has been resolved for all of you. I wanted to follow up, and see if you had any further questions from here. Please let me know, as I will be locking the thread in a few days to keep content fresh.
As we got our resolution here, I'm going to mark this thread as resolved. I'll be locking this thread if we won't hear back from you in 24 hrs. Should that happen, feel free to create a new one if you have more questions or have other concerns in the future.
Same as me, try using another brand. I downloaded the nest app to a Samsung tablet, logged in and it went through no problems. After over a week of troubleshooting with the team over the phone and even after being sent and setting up a new thermostat and heat link - think there is something in the pixel 6 software that butts heads with mobile broadband. Afterwards it worked absolutely fine and I could control everything through my pixel 6 but the set up just wouldn't go through on the 6. Let me know how you get on.
Wow, this is a rollercoaster of emotions. I was so chuffed this morning, turns out the initial connection set-up issue was 100% Pixel 6 related! (that's mad). YThanks so much @bananamedic. I was using a Pixel 6a, I used my iPad and had it setup in less than a minute. It then showed up in the app on the Pixel 6a. Silly.
Next issue is the wiring on my existing boiler 🤦🏻♂️. Followed the set-up guide and it just doesn't configure for my existing set-up. Nightmare. I might have to pay someone to check it out.