cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest power connector with multi zone controller

Umut
Community Member

Hi All, I have dual zone heating & cooling system and using Nest Thermostats. I don't have C wire and bought Nest power connector. In the manual, It say that I need to wire Nest connector to zone control board but it doesn't say where in the board. Should I have 2 Nest power connectors for each zone?

Thanks!

14 REPLIES 14

NP
Community Member

I am in the same situation. My broiler uses TACO SR506-4 6 zone control board and four of them are for heat so I bought four Nest Thermostats and one Power Connector.  I called the prof help but he only advised me getting a professional help. 

I examined my zone control board and it does not have any C wire to begin with.  I really need some help on this as well.

NP
Community Member

Follow up: Google Rep referred me to OnTech and the rep told me a few things:

1. Power Connector works without C Wire connecting to the board and the connector still has enough power to power up Nest Thermostat. (A bit skeptical but he reassured me few times)

2. Each zone needs a Power Connector.

I then ordered three more connectors from him. Hope this works.

LovingMaui
Community Member

Did that work for you then? I’m in the same situation. I can’t find anything to show me how to hook the power connectors to my multi zoned system.

boucherr077
Community Member

so I watched the Nest power connector video made by Google and it says that the connector would need to be connected to the zone controller board, not the individual zone controllers.   A bit misleading there apparently.   So it’s probably too early to ask if getting different controllers hooked to your zone connectors worked?? 

TBRB
Community Member

I am having the same questions. We have 5 zones in our boiler/radiant heating system. We bought 3 nest thermostats for the primary zones but only one power adapter thinking it would provide "c" wire power to all the thermostats connected to the system. If anyone finds the solution please forward to all.

Joel1
Community Member

(BOILER SYSTEM ONLY) ALSO, MAKE SURE THE POWER IS OFF TO THE BOILER SYSTEM.

Hello to everyone, I hope I can help you guys out. You all will need a power connector for each zone. I will explain how to install one and then you guys can repeat the process for the others. From the thermostat, you will connect the two wires ( R & W) to the two grey wires on the power connector. NOTE: R on the nest thermostat must go to R on the power connector grey wire. Also with W, you would do the same. (Grey side only). As for the three white wires. The R- white, will connect to where you had first disconnected the thermostat R- wire. In other words, whenever you disconnect the thermostat wire you should now have 4- wires/ conductors to work with. 2 to the thermostat R & W and 2 to the system. ( 1 to the power of the boiler and 1 to the zone valve). Now let's continue; The R- white from the power connector, will connect to the power (based on the line above statement), the thermostat W- white wire from the connector will connect to the Zone valve and the C- white wire ( common) will connect to the other wire of the zone valve. NOTE: One size of the zone valve will have all zone wires connected together in one. That is the Common for the system. I hope you guys understand now how to connect it. 

DerrickU
Community Member

Worked with my Argo AT series electric boiler. Thanks👍

Okay.... I'm pretty sure I understand this, so I'm going to try and say it back to you how I understand it and you tell me if I'm wrong....

4 wires on the zone connector.

2 red, 2 yellow. 

Out of that, 2 are going to my thermostat (red or white) from red or yellow, 1 to zone connector (red or yellow) and 1 to boiler (red or yellow)

I need to match the red and white from the Nest Power Connector to the red and white to the thermostat, then the white cables have to be matched through the couplings and find out which is the "C" going to the boiler... Is that right?

AaJU92
Community Member

Guys! I just spent a week trying to get to the bottom of this and i found it.

Google nest has a ‘pro installation guide’ with the appropriate wiring diagram for when there is no C terminal available at the zone controller. You will need to buy an additional stand-alone transformer and wire it. The appropriate diagram and instructions start on page 10. Attached below.

https://storage.googleapis.com/support-kms-prod/k5rpNEXV1F0aVYhr8jN1L2GAxhcAPDXhk39r

TBRB
Community Member

thanks. I'm going to give it a try but 1st, do I need a separate power adapter for each of the 4 zones? And, does this mean a separate 24v transformer for each or can I use one transformer? one power adapter?

AaJU92
Community Member

Good question! My understanding is that you do need a power adapter for each nest thermostat used. I would think that they will each need a transformer of their own. My reason for thinking, is that when i hooked up my power adapter to a spare 24V terminal on my zone controller, it wouldn’t supply enough to the power connector. That is because when the zone controller would kick on to send heat to the room (once the nest calls for it) it would take power from the demand off of that 24V. That, in turn, would power off the power connector, turning off the nest, making it stop calling for heat. So then the 24V would kick back on and it would cycle that process every couple seconds. So i believe an individual transformer is needed for each power connector to mitigate the fluctuation of power supplied to the power connector.

hope that makes sense!

TBRB
Community Member

Thanks, with 5 zones, 5 thermostats, 5 adapters, and 5 transformers, this is getting to be quite the project!

I'll send info when I am hooked up.

greg_atlanta
Community Member

So far I have the red and yellow wires connected between my zoning board and the power connector, got confused on C wire since no obvious place to put it.  I turned it back on and it's working without the C wire, but still getting power error message on both thermostats.

My zoning board has RH & RC and there is a blue jumper between them.  The red wire from the power connector is currently connected to RH.

Any advice on whether I can connect the C wire from the power connector to RC?  If so, should I remove the jumper wire between RH and RC or leave it there?

Will post pics later if that helps.

Thanks AaJU92 for the link to the advanced guide!  Didn't really help yet, but good to have on file.

Jimmy12
Community Member

Can the nest connector be installed at the thermostat end?  If not why not?