cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Seasonal savings could kill your baby

CA3
Community Member

So.. last night at 2am I noticed my baby's room was in the 50s even though our schedule sets the temperature to 68 at midnight (recommended temperature for baby's room). Imagine my surprise when I witnessed the tstat was OFF when it was freezing outside. Thank God I checked it at 2am.

After inspecting the tstat history, I noticed it was turned off earlier due to "auto schedule". I have auto schedule turned off for this tstat, mind you, because our 4mo olds room isn't on the same tstat as ours and we can't feel what she feels. We pretty much depend on her nest tstat to keep her safe and auto schedule is a terrible and erratic feature which is why we keep it off.

Earlier in the week we enabled seasonal savings and that was the big mistake! After researching, nothing said it turns off the tstat and only mentions a change of about 1 degree. Completely false.

I contacted support this morning and they basically left the chat when I complained (ref 3-2671000031427). People should know seasonal savings has the potential to kill their baby and does not just change the temp 1 degree. Her room was 10 degrees less than what it should have been and would have dipped lower!

7 REPLIES 7

HonkyTonkDonkey
Community Member

Terrifying.  Sorry you went through this friend, but glad you caught the situation so early.

It certainly feels like these 'smart' thermostats should not be as confident as they are.  Just small tweaks would make a big difference and small settings in the background can make huge differences in how it behaves.

Best of luck.

Google just needs to document this stuff better. If my research indicated it can turn the tstat off in the middle of the night, I would never have turned it on, but all the website says is an average shift of 1 degree.

Can't trust Google to make something so critical, also safe and with warnings where it does erratic behavior. 

iameline
Community Member

My nest turned on "seasonal savings" without asking -- it just did it. Almost killed one of my pets. Couldn't get a straight answer from nest support on how to ensure that they NEVER change the set points on MY thermostat.

NestUser5
Community Member

I moved into an apartment with a Nest system. I left the thermostat connected to the sensor in the baby’s room before sleeping and set it to 69. In the middle of the night I sprinted upstairs to disable my Nest that automatically put the temperature to 105 because it switched sensors! Completely unacceptable — child could have died or had seizures. I’m not sure how this products smart scheduling feature is safe for anyone with a child or pet.

sd1sd
Community Member

Thanks for sharing this. I had the exact same happening at our home while we just brought our newborn home!!! I suddenly find temperature in the low 60s (we set 69 and above) at night after seasonal savings was on for a few days. Like you said, Google only mentioned 1 degree change but it was close to 10 degrees. I also suspect this seasonal savings was doing changes to some other system parameters for the feedback loop that as a user we do not usually see, and broke the PID loop logic somewhere.

Also my furnace's board went into reverse polarity and wouldn't even turn off suddenly after a few days of activating this so called seasonal savings. I do not have direct proof but after reading your comment and also seeing other erratic behaviors on the best app, I am now of the opinion that the so called seasonal savings also paid a part in breaking my furnace board by sending "expert" signals to the feedback loop. We, including the newborn, was left without any heat for 2 days. Luckily I found someone to fix it although it cost me $1000 USD - so much for seasonal savings. Hate it. Google, please take note and STOP rolling out useless and deadly sh*t like these on paid services - our baby's well-being is not up for so clec experimentation by useless "experts" in your team. At the very least, replace those idiots responsible for rolling out a half cooked system.

sd1sd
Community Member

Thanks for sharing this. I had the exact same happening at our home while we just brought our newborn home!!! I suddenly find temperature in the low 60s (we set 69 and above) at night after seasonal savings was on for a few days. Google only mentioned 1 degree change but it was lower by close to 10 degrees. Highly suspect PID loop parameters being played with erroneously and without user consent - it is dangerous to do this. I also suspect this seasonal savings was doing changes to some other system parameters for the feedback loop that as a user we do not usually see, and broke the PID loop logic somewhere.

Also my furnace's board went into reverse polarity and wouldn't even turn on suddenly after a few days of activating this so called seasonal savings. I do not have direct proof but after reading your comment and also seeing other erratic behaviors on the "best" nest and Google home apps, I am now of the opinion that the so called seasonal savings was responsible in breaking my furnace board by making "expert" changes to the parameter of the feedback loop. We, including the newborn, was left without any heat for 2 days. Luckily I found someone to fix it although it cost me $1000 USD - so much for seasonal savings. Hate it. Google, please take note and STOP rolling out useless and deadly sh*t like these on paid services - our baby's well-being is not up for so called experimentation by useless "experts" in your team. At the very least, replace those idiots responsible for rolling out a half cooked system and playing with people's, especially baby's, lives knowingly or unknowingly. It is a serious allegation, hope someone in Google nest team is taking these seriously. Otherwise a disaster waiting to happen someday and Google and it's CEO should be held responsible for it.

Augukern
Community Member

Thesee  thermostats should be removed forever. I'm sure googl e Nesst thermostat willl not last.