cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Wiring Help!

migoysplace
Community Member

Hello! Upon looking at my thermostat wiring, everything seemed straightforward (there is also an unused black wire tucked in which I assume is the C wire behind the wall).  When opening up my HVAC, I'm unsure how to proceed based on the wiring set up I see.

ERVK90v.jpgVg6cOpW-min.png

7 REPLIES 7

Houptee
Silver Product Expert
Silver Product Expert

Did they splice the wire somewhere near the furnace because it looks like they have Yellow to Y (that is your air conditioning signal wire) but at the furnace they have Blue wire going to the Y screw. So look for a place where they made a splice in the cable and changed the colors.

And you will need to connect a C wire so if you have a extra wire in the wall you mentioned black you can use that as a C wire but it has to be connected at the furnace also. See the screw marked C in the furnce that is where you need to connect the C wire.

So just verify why the colors are changing between the old tstat and the furnace since everything has to match up on both ends.

Houptee -- NJ Master HVAC Licensed Contractor

Thanks for the response! I also have a Nest Power Connector with me handy.  It seems like it's a straightforward installation even with my complex wiring above.

Houptee
Silver Product Expert
Silver Product Expert

You dont need the power adapter if you have a spare wire that you can connect to the C on the furnace.

Houptee -- NJ Master HVAC Licensed Contractor

Unfortunately I'm not able to find any spare wire on the furnace.. I guess the power connector is my next best choice?

Hello there,

I wanted to ensure that everything was covered here.

Thanks for helping, @Houptee.

@migoysplace, I hope you've got the answer you're looking for. If you're still in need of assistance, feel free to let us know. Also, here are some references to help you install a Nest Power Connector on your HVAC system.

Regards,

Mark

Hello migoysplace,

I wanted to see if you still needed help. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi migoysplace,

I'm checking in to make sure that you've seen my response. Please let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns before we lock this thread in 24 hours. 

Thanks,
Mark