cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

multiple zone valves

zonevalve
Community Member

Hi: I have baseboard water heating system with a multiple zone valve system controlled by 2 wire mercury switch thermostats.  I am trying to set up a Google Power Connector for 1 zone Valve. The photos of the actual set up are shown, as is the pre-hook up wiring and proposed hook up wiring. I have a multimeter but have limited experience with AC power. Its messy as it looks like one transformer is driving two ZVs and there are all sorts of colored add-on wires. I have traced them and show the wires for one ZV.

Question 1: I have a white and black wire from the transformer to each Zone Valve- is there any way to confirm which wire is common and which is carrying the load using the multimeter?

Question 2: Does it matter which yellow wire carries the load?

Before making changes, I had 24V across the thermostat terminals when calling for heat and 0 volt when not calling for heat. 

When adding in the power connector and turning on the power, I get 4.4V across the thermostat wires when there is no call for heat.  This sounds about right, No?

However, I have an N260 error in my google Nest - No C wire!!!!   and although I can now call for heat.... the ZV does not open.

Not sure what else I am doing wrong and would be grateful for any assistance.

Many thanks

Zone Valve

wiring for 2 valveswiring for 2 valves3 x 24 V transformers3 x 24 V transformersBoilerBoilerStandard Google Power conn,Standard Google Power conn,wiring before hook upwiring before hook upproposed hook upproposed hook up

6 REPLIES 6

CoolingWizard
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

The thermostat calls for heat on the W terminal.  The Y terminal calls for cooling. Are you sure that you are using Y to at the boiler?

NestPro, Google Pro, Mechanical Engineer and HVAC service company owner.
If my answer solved your problem, click Recommend this Answer below, and If it helped you, please give a Kudo.

zonevalve
Community Member

Hi CW: Thanks for the response.

I haven't taken off the cover to the boiler as I thought I could attach the Google Power connector wires to the 2 yellows from the zone valve, the two wires from the thermostat and the C wire from the transformer.  As I trace the wires from the thermostat back to the zone vale, they both appear to run to the red wires on the ZV.  And this is not correct.

So maybe I was wrong to assume that the black and white wires in my diagram come from the thermostat.  I guess I can check this by doing a continuity test on the wires (turn power off, set the multimeter to resistance, connect the black and white wires then move the thermostat control from fully left to fully right - if there is no change in resistance then I have the wrong wires. If there is a change, the wires are correct. but incorrectly wired to the power connector.

Thanks  

CoolingWizard
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

It looks to me like the thermostat wire is going into the top of the box on front of the boiler.  

Ken, The AC Cooling Wizard

NestPro, Google Pro, Mechanical Engineer and HVAC service company owner.
If my answer solved your problem, click Recommend this Answer below, and If it helped you, please give a Kudo.

Hello folks,

I appreciate your help here, Ken.

@zonevalve, I'm checking in to see if you were able to have your Nest Power Connector installed. Here are some references to help you install your new Nest Power Connector on your HVAC system.

If you need help from a professional installer, you can schedule an appointment and get pricing from OnTech, our pro installation partner.

Regards,
Mark

Hi zonevalve,

I wanted to see if you still needed help. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Thanks,

Mark

Hello zonevalve,

I'm checking in to make sure that you've seen our response. Please let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns before we lock this thread in 24 hours.

Thanks,

Mark