cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access point behind Google router

JohnM13
Community Member

Hi. I have an Intesis wifi air-conditioning controller I wish to connect to my Google Home. As Google routers have dual band I am having trouble doing  so. I have tried all the "usual" workarounds and cannot do so. So I tried placing an old Telstra router behind my Google router as an access point. Disabled 5ghz on the Telstra router, set it as static ip on my current network, and connected it via ethernet to the Google router.  I still get 5ghz wifi. Can someone help me work out what I'm doing wrong?

4 REPLIES 4

Smf09636
Community Member

I work for Google Fiber and the customer service department and in order to connect devices that are only capable of using the 2.4 GHz Network we have the customer set up the gas network and then select anything that said device needs to communicate with by selecting the checkbox next to the devices they would like to interact with

JohnM13
Community Member

I assume you mean "guest network ". However this isn't much help. The main reason for having an IoT device is to be able to control it remotely through Google Home.  Being able to only control it through a guest network kind of defeats the purpose of having it.

Smf09636
Community Member

sorry about the typo i was typing fast and didn't catch the auto correct mishap. Have you tried adding the device to google home by selecting add in the devices tab then "works with google home" button? There are 100's of companies google partners with so you can control them using the home app.

JohnM13
Community Member

Not sure how that would help. But in any case I have now set up a guest network, and found that it has also utilised the 5 ghz band. So that won't work.