cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Google mesh with wireless bridge issue

BFields
Community Member

I’ve searched posts and replies on this topic but can’t seem to get my setup to work.  I have a google mesh system in my primary home, which i would like to extend out to my outbuilding which is ~150 yards away.  Running Ethernet or Coaxial that far is not an option for me.  I recently purchased and installed an ULNA point to point wireless bridge (CPE412) to  extend my signal to the outbuilding.  It looks like it has a frequency of 5.8 GHz and is suppose to be “plug and play”. My set up looks like this:

ISP to modem to google nest router to tp-link network switch (TL-SG608E).  I connected the Ulna bridge “host” to the network switch and have a separate Ethernet line for POE using the plug in adaptor.  The “receiving” bridge was installed on my outbuilding with a separate POE line. 

I have an Ethernet line run from the ‘receiving” bridge in my outbuilding to a google Wi-Fi point, set to bridge, and a separate POE Ethernet line run to an outlet.  The connection between the bridges seems to work since I tested it by plugging the LAN line from the receiving bridge into an Arlo base station and i have internet to it.  However, when i try to connect the LAN line from the receiving bridge into the google Wi-Fi point, i can’t get a consistent connection.  I’ve added/removed the access point about 10 times using multiple factory resets to no avail. I’ve added it inside my house and then took it to the outbuilding and tried it, but that didn’t work either.   I had it working for a week or so but then lost connection in the outbuilding (primary house has always worked fine).  After researching a bit, someone said to turn off the spanning tree protocol but that didn’t seem to resolve the issue. 

I have two other google Wi-Fi points, connected wirelessly, in my primary house which work great, so would love to just add another “puck” to the outbuilding.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I’m a DIY guy, but not knowledgeable on networks. 

@olavrb , @MichaelP  

3 REPLIES 3

olavrb
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

You've already mentioned STP (spanning tree protocol), but just to be sure: One thing that could affect your experience: TP-Link TL-SG608E  ( https://www.tp-link.com/uk/business-networking/smart-switch/tl-sg608e/ ) is a smart/managed switch.

Make sure you disable:

• Any loop detection / prevention feature, like 802.1d STP (spanning tree protocol).
  • Any BPDU forwarding guard / prevention / protection.

More info on use of managed switches with Nest Wifi:

Other than that I don't have more troubleshooting tips for this particular setup.

If the wireless bridge seems stable but Google Wifi doesn't like it, maybe try some other access point instead. Like an old Asus router in access point mode.

I don't work for Google.

BFields
Community Member

Thank you @olavrb .  I ended up just buying an unmanaged switch and a new router as my remote access point and all works well now. Getting close to 90 mbps now.  Thanks again. 

olavrb
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Glad you figured it out. 👍🏻

I don't work for Google.