cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

How to get MAC Addresses (WAN port, LAN port, and Wifi) info for each Google Wifi in my home

EnriqueApproved
Community Member

How can I find out what all the MAC Addresses (WAN port, LAN port, and Wifi) are for each Google Wifi device in my home?

14 REPLIES 14

MichaelP
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

Hello @EnriqueApproved 

That is actually kind of tricky. You can get the IP addresses of each unit from the Google Home app. At that point, getting the MAC address of each interface could still be hard from the outside. I used the "arp" command on my macOS and Linux machines to interrogate this, and the results were mixed (both my secondaries are connected via Ethernet, and even when I tried this from a WiFi-connected Raspberry Pi, I still got the same MAC address as when I did the same thing from an Ethernet-connected machine. So, they may be using a single MAC address (at least for IP connectivity) regardless of which interface it is. Can I ask what problem you're trying to solve by collecting this information?

Fiber optic ISP needs the WAN MAC address to provision the service.

MichaelP
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

Hello @EnriqueApproved 

I see. Ok, for just the WAN MAC address, it should be printed on the bottom of each Google WiFi unit. For Google WiFi, they are all the same hardware, so you'll need to pick one to be the "primary" – it's the one that will be connected to your internet service via an Ethernet cable into the WAN (globe icon) Ethernet port. Like I said above, getting all of their MAC addresses (WAN, LAN, WiFi for all units) is tricky, but for just the WAN MAC address, you should be able to find it printed on the bottom. It can be a little hard to read sometimes, so I like to take a good photo with my phone and then zoom in to read it.

The network installer checked, and it was the WiFi Mac that is printed there, which is why we are stumped.

MichaelP
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

Dang. Can you try one thing? Take the last digit of the MAC address and add one.

For example, if the last part of the MAC address is "F5", can you try making that "F6"? It's hexadecimal, so overflow can make adding one a little odd. For example, if it's "F9", adding one would make it "FA", and if it's "9F", adding one would make it "A0".

We are going to give this a try with installer when they return next week.

Hey folks, 

Thanks again for helping here, @MichaelP

@EnriqueApproved, I hope you've got the answer you're looking for. If you're still in need of any assistance, feel free to let us know. 

Best,
Mel

Hey everyone,

I wanted to follow up and see if you are still in need of any help. Please let me know if you are still having any concerns or questions from here, as I would be happy to take a closer look and assist you further.

Thanks,
Mel

Still no definitive answer.

Hi EnriqueApproved,

Thanks for getting back to us.

You can check the MAC address for your Google Wifi devices by checking the bottom of your device. 

Best,

Mel

Yep. We are looking for the WAM Mac address...

Hi EnriqueApproved,

There is only one MAC address for your Google Wifi, and you can see it printed on the bottom of your device.

Regards,

Mel

Hi EnriqueApproved,

I wanted to follow up and see if you are still in need of any help. Please let me know if you are still having any concerns or questions from here, as I would be happy to take a closer look and assist you further.

Thanks,
Mel

Hi EnriqueApproved,

Just one quick final check in here since activity has slowed down. We'll be locking the thread in the next 24 hours, but if you still need help, I would be happy to keep it open. If there's more we can do, just let me know.

Thanks,
Mel