cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest Wifi - Devices Slow or Drop

rbrowning
Community Member

I have had a mesh Nest WIFI for about a year and everything has been great until about two weeks ago.  I keep having issues with my WIFI points degrading in connection or dropping all together.  Location has not changed. 

Another issue - when I run a speed test on the router, I am seeing my full bandwidth; however, when i run a speed test on devise (phone, tablet, etc) I am seeing speeds sub 10M (I am on a fiber 500M connection).

I have to keep restarting my Nest WIFI Network (2 to 3 times per day) through app and that usually fixes the issue.  I have restated my fiber modem, powered off the Nest Router and WIFI points and the issue keeps coming back.

Model: H2D - Software Version 13729.57.27

591 REPLIES 591

Thoroughmas
Community Member

Well it seems in the past couple days my Nest router just got these issues. Yay.

Pascal_BH
Community Member

Wow. I just found this thread and read the whole thing. Same issue here. Was getting help with google support with regards to this. They wanted me to try DMZ mode, port forwarding or bridge mode. Unfortunately my modem does't have any of those features (5G modem from ISP). From the modem I get 700mbps - from the google nest wifi its 170mpbs. disappointing. I have emailed the support person back and I should direct them to this forum. I hope they escalate this. I paid $400 for this  thinking google would be the more reliable brand - boy was I wrong

RETURN IT IF YOU CAN!!! 

If you can't, you're SOL. Either live with random outages several times per day or buy something else. It has been more than 6 months. They are not fixing it. They're hoping that people live with it or move on.

N3tworkNOiL
Community Member

Aloha All,

I just went through this whole forum, and I’m experiencing the same issue as everyone else. I was hoping their would be a solution or should I say fix, at the bottom of this forum, but to no avail. 
The only solution I’ve seen thus far is to return your device and get another brand. I would never purchase google devices for network use, but this device was free/included with my ISP package, so I said what the heck I’ll plug it in to get more Wi-Fi range in my house,  -_- .

Google community admin person, if you’re reading this, please escalate the issue,  and give us more insight on what’s going on. 

Mahalo. 

Honestly, you're better off with a $15 10 year old Linksys box off of eBay than using the Google equipment, even if it is free.

Mines so bad I am looking at possibly just buying a new router, it seems to get worse by the day.. Went from never needing reboots, to once a month, to once a week, to once every couple days.. to Daily... It leads me to think this is actually a hardware issue with the units.  

bolton
Community Member

After spending a ton of time with Google Nest Wifi support (not a pleasant experience and they obviously don't know what they're doing) and after they wasted money sending me warranty replacement devices (router and access point), I was told that the equipment was working as designed by the last support representative I spoke with after contacting them back to inform them that the problem still existed.  

In Short, you will at most get 1/2 the speed of what you can connect to the Google Nest router at for the Google Nest wifi point.  Less if there is interference or congestion.

I've bought a new Arris Surfboard system and am getting way better speeds.  Not perfect, but way better.

Rollett
Community Member

Even less considering it constantly drops and gives out all the time.. Mine frequently disconnects from the network and only manual reboots will fix it. 

Nivek1088
Community Member

I am having this exact issue. Has the firmware update been pushed? So far all the reps I’ve talked to have no idea what they’re doing and keep reading me the same steps. Would love if someone could actually help. Thanks!

I spent a good deal of time trying to figure it out.. I am just going to replace mine. Google has a bad habit of abandoning tech products and programs.. Google Fiber, Google Glass, Google Home Max,  I have a feeling this will be added to the list soon. Some people get a fix out of a full factory reset, but if only temporary. 

I got this info from one of the online support persons. I have already received the new firmware. What it has done is actually make my base internet speed slower! However now when I select to prioritise a device the full speed is achieved  (which unfortunately cannot be set to permanent) . Check your firmware version and test to see if you get a temporary fix by prioritising a device. 

By April 25, 2022 Nest Wifi router: 14150.43.80 and Nest Wifi point: 1.54.294928

I do have those firmware versions but sadly this didn’t work for me. The only fix seems to be restarting the whole network. Waiting to hear back on this myself from an “elevated tier.” We’ll see what that means. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

A higher level person will tell you they are working on it 😛

Hahaha. This is exactly what’s happening to me right now. They just keep telling me it’s being escalated and now one is doing anything. So sad.

Yea. I really just want a refund since the device is barely 6 months old but we know Google makes that impossible. Such a bummer because I had the Google WiFi for years and it was fantastic. 

I got almost a year out of mine, and I want a refund too.. Because the end product was changed into something that I did not buy. 

Yes - the new firmware has been pushed and it zero effect. My router and points are sitting in my basement in a box. After the firmware update, I pulled them out, hooked them up then waited until the next day. At some point overnight, the new firmware was installed.

Connected to it and within an hour, had my first of 3 disconnections in about a 3 hour period. Unplugged and boxed it back up.

I replaced mine in December with Netgear because I work from home and need to be able to do Zoom calls with clients. Disconnections were happening mid-call every day with the Google equipment.

I replaced mine because I just had surgery and was getting tired of having to reboot my router constantly to even stream to my TV's... So Asus AX5700 later, everything is perfect. 

hijon89
Community Member

I guess I was lucky that everything was working smoothly until a few weeks ago. Now internet gradually slows to a crawl until restarted. Will try disabling preferred activities and see if it makes a difference

Rollett
Community Member

Mine as I said previously started with monthly reboots, weekly reboots, daily reboots, and then multi times a day with no effect. 

I have mine boxed up after this happened to me. Nothing ever worked that was suggested. Mine wasn't even 13 months old when it started. I spent $280 I think and then after a year spent roughly that on a different brand just to use my internet correctly again. The first thing most do with this issue is blame your ISP!

$189 for me for two units while on sale from Best Buy, had to spend another 200+ to get out of the Google Nest ecosystem, a friend also just replaced his for the same reason I replaced mine.. And I had no idea he was doing it. 

I just wish I could sell mine. I'd feel to guilty knowing that it doesn't work! Sad thing is, I actually liked it, it was great when it was working properly. 

My two cents, everything Google hardware is just an experiment to them. I wouldn't even call its hardware users beta testers, it's closer to alpha testers. Great ideas, poor support.

Had enough of constantly restarting the network and ordered Eero Pro 6 tri-band (2 device system).  Amazon had deal that you get instant trade in (75 bucks) on my nest wireless router and 1 point(even though I have 3 points).   After they receive the trade in and inspect it, they will also give me a 20% rebate off the price of the Eero Pro 6.    I'm using 2 Eero Pro which covers my entire 3 story house and I get better transfer speeds than I did with the Google Nest wifi router + 3 points.   It's only been couple weeks but I have not dropped once or reduced speed since it was installed.

I wish I had done this months ago.

cjf
Community Member

Exact same experience here 

hijon89
Community Member

At least for me, disabling preferred activities seems to have helped a lot. It's been a week so far with 0 restarts and still getting normal speeds.

KadoZ
Community Member

Similar to most of the posts under this thread, I thought there was something wrong with my ISP or the modem when I noticed below 100mbps when I used 3rd party speed tests. I am on Xfinity plan with speed up to 600 mbps and I see 350-450 mbps when I am on xFi  wireless router from Xfinity.  In addition to the speed limitation that comes with use of Google Mesh,  Google Home's speed test shows the "blazing" ~630 mbps download speed. This feels like a scam. I scanned this thread and other resources for a solution but it looks like it is not something that Google had resolved. I really liked the Nest Mesh system when I first purchased it but I cannot stand getting 1/5 of the actually speed that I can use. What a shame.   

SadGhooghler
Community Member

Gi. It's May, and my Wifi has sucked for a long time. Automated Google support sent me to this page, a it's months of sad people and no solution.

My interpretation is that the Google Wifi mesh is no longer supported, but they aren't saying that.

Time to look for a replacement service I suppose. 

Guys I was a ble to resolve the issue with speed and the constant disconnect. Its a  two  fold process. It turned out that the WiFi ssid ( name of your wireless) has to be 6 characters or less.  2. Place the access point in far away area where it has a good or weak connection to the wifi router ( you have to run the mesh test, remember  you do not want a great connection  but rather a weak or good connection) I discovered all this when I revisit the system again after finishing my patio and wanted wifi outdoors. I decided to give it a try one more time by resetting thing up all over again. And it had been solid for the pass month. All my speed at the wifi point and the wifi router with no  disconnects. 

This is a joke right? Weak connection means weak connection. Also the amount of characters in your SSID doesn't mean anything that is the silliest thing I've ever heard. 11 years in the IT business and 4 years as the owner of a successful IT business and honestly this is the silliest idea that I have ever heard. Seriously, ever heard! If this isn't a joke then I just hope others ignore this ridiculous suggestion for a fix that will never work and is a waste of time. The amount of characters in your SSID means absolutely nothing for quality of internet and that is just fact. Secondly, you want to see great connection not fair connection that would give you a lower speed rating not a higher speed rating that is why these connections are called great and fair and color coded mind you. This isn't opposite land. I really do hope this is a joke.

I also got an idea for a fix. Unplug your router into a rain dance around it for 5 minutes. Make sure that you wear lots of bells and feathers and that your router is painted like a kachina doll. Make sure that it's exactly 5 minutes or else this won't work. Then plug back in your router... good as new. See I can just say random things that don't help anyone too.

Sturhm
Community Member

I got a new fiber connection today, got the same issue and found this thread.

For real after so long Google havent done anything to fix this ??? 

We pay a great deal for this product, and get trash in return ?

NicC
Community Member

I can't believe that Google is still selling this system, even with a known problem.  It borders on fraud...

Stone808
Community Member

Seeing all these threads it certainly seems like there is grounds for a suit.

RGM
Community Member

My system was working fine until a few weeks ago.  Crap!  I have 9 nests… a lot of $$.  To replace with eero would mean 600 usd.  I can believe Google has not the brains to fix this. 

NicC
Community Member

I believe that Google doesn't care...  Notice there are no responses by an actual Google rep anywhere.  Doing so would acknowledge they have a problem.  In the meantime they're still promoting and selling them.  Stinks of fraud.

MungoBBQ
Community Member

Glad I found this thread, and that I'm not alone with this issue. But I am very unhappy to see that this is a known issue and still hasn't been fixed for months and months.

Right after restarting my network, I am getting 300-400 mbps speeds, but after a few hours it slows down to a creep: Sometimes 2-3 mbps! If I reboot, the speeds come back - temporarily. 

heyitsbrian
Community Member

Long time listener, first time caller. I just bought the 3-pack mesh setup and after installing it I get an expected 800mb+ upload/download in the Google Home speed test, but on every machine on my network I'm now seeing under 200mb/s using any speed test out there.

I think I'll be returning these ASAP.

Drop it like its hot and get rid of it.. sorry you bought one and wasted time setting it up.. 

heyitsbrian
Community Member

Oh, almost forgot. I tried the trick of setting preference to one device to try to "fix" this, but it still got the same speed. It's almost like I'm on a B network instead of G.