cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest Wifi performance degradation

Eraser
Community Member

I have 2 Nest Wifi routers linked via hardwire.  I have just over 50 devices connected at all times via Wifi.  After a reboot of the network (both routers) I my speed test results are between 250-300+ Mbps via WiFi (wired 800+ Mbps), uploads are 11 Mbps on both.  Every 24-36 hours my wireless network has significant degradation.  My down speed test will drop to 10 Mbps or less , uploads 0.5 Mbps on WiFi.  My wired network works perfectly fine getting the same speed test results.  The only temporary fix is reboot the network.

So far I have done the following:

1. Factory reset both routers 
  2. Relocated the 2nd router/point
  3. Ran the network with only a single router
  4. Tested WiFi using multiple devices phones, laptops, desktops 
  5. Split about 20 devices on to the guest network

This issue has been getting progressively worse over the last few months to the point where I'm highly considering getting rid of both routers.  Has anyone else had this issue as I have described, and if so have you found a fix for it?

My guess is the issue is related to the number of devices I have on the wireless network and or bufferbloat.

47 REPLIES 47

Eraser
Community Member

I recently picked up the TP-Link Deco AX3000 WiFi 6 Mesh System(Deco X55) on sale at Amazon.  $200 ($280 regular price) for 3 nodes/routers and 3 gigabit ports on each node.  After 3 days I've had zero issues, no reboots needed, and all 50+ devices stay connected.  Wired and wireless speeds are the same as the Nest Wifi(right after a system reboot).  As long as I don't have any issues for the next couple of weeks I plan to toss the Nest Wifi for good.

DylanKC
Community Member

Good to hear. I can't believe Google is so absent from helping on this widespread issue. I just bought another router to use as an AP (the one AP I have is running into the slow speeds and running hot issue). Thinking I am running into a sunk cost fallacy here and I should return it to buy a different system.

BAT182
Community Member

+1 to this tale of woe. All I can add is that in my case, wired connections directly off the router also degrade. And my period of operability last only a few hours. The only thing I think is conclusive is that it is not a thermal issue.

nuhusker92
Community Member

I tired many different configurations and have figured out it's all about the extra points being added to the system. At least it is for us.   I am currently just running the main router without any additional points added to the system, and my speeds stay consistent.  I only reboot once a week just for the sake of rebooting.  As soon as another point is added, my speeds degrade quickly.  Sometimes it would last a day, other times only a couple hours before we had to reboot the system.  Obviously turning off all the other points defeats the purpose of a mesh network, but at least it stays stable and works better for us than adding the points.  Anyways, thought I would add in what I found after trying what seemed like endless combinations of router and access point configurations.  For the record, we tried to hard code the DNS server configuration and that did not work for us.  The only thing that has kept our speeds stable has been running the router by itself.  We did also factory reset things several times during our test and that didn't solve the problem either.  Only running the router solo seems to keep things stable for us.

YaMancito
Community Member

Hello All, 

Had to revive this issue!!

I had everything working fine with Google wifi until I decided to upgrade my main Google wifi point router (Puck)  to the newer Nest wifi router point. All my old Google wifi points work great and will not drop connection speed, but the main one which is newer will work fine for a few days to a week after reset and then all of a sudden drops wifi speed below 30 Mbps. While the other points stay above 250 Mbps. This only affects wireless not the hardwire connection.

Blibby
Community Member

It's now practically April 2023 and nothing has changed. Google obviously don't care so as soon as I have some extra cash, I'm switching to probably Netgear Orbi as I already have the Netgear modem. The issues have not changed and I am sick of the family blaming me rather than Google for crap wifi! Bye Google

Syah79
Community Member

Exactly 

AbandonBigG
Community Member

2023 checking in and this is still an issue. I have to reset the router a few times a week. Others on my team have the EXACT same issue with progressive performance degradation. I talked to a customer service rep who tried their best but clearly had no idea how to fix this. To anyone who sees this, DO NOT BUY A GOOGLE ROUTER!