cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restrict access to change Wifi settings

jamesjhughes
Community Member

Hi All

I want to be able to restrict what settings can be changed via the Google home app.  When users added to the app, they are all managers?  This is daft!

I have just bought 3 Next wifi pros for our new broadband service to replace the outgoing.  I want to use the parental controls of the Nests, but as you have to manage via the app, this means anytime I would want his devices paused, he can just go into the Home app and un-pause.   Rediculous.  I think they will have to be sent back and I find some other mesh wifi access points.

I've invited my son to the app as the google mini in his room doesn't always respond to turn his lights off.  However, now he can see and manage all the devices in the house.

There is the option "Access details" where it looks like you should be able to restrict access, but there are no options.

What's the point of having parental control if anyone that has access to the Home has full access of all the devices and WIFi settings.   

2 REPLIES 2

olavrb
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Customers, including me, have been wanting more granular permissions for years, don't expect it to come any time soon.

A workaround is to create one more Google Home home and add Nest Wifi to it. Only those who are to manage Nest Wifi should be in that home. Then have the other devices in a different Google Home home.

I don't work for Google.

Thanks Olavrb

I was thinking this afternoon about configuring into another home.  The only downside could be if Google tie a feature into Google One like they have with the Nest subscription.

It's a shame they are taking so long to sort something that should be basic functionality