cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Scheduled network restart

nickp001
Community Member

Is there a way to schedule a Nest WiFi network restart?  I know I can use a smart plug and schedule an off/on, but I'd rather use a native method if at all possible.

269 REPLIES 269

DoubleOhZero
Community Member

Don't get your hopes up. It seems that Google has turned into a cheap dump and run company

aalbrand
Community Member

How is this not resolved.  The thread started in 2021.

Seriously! I've had way better customer support for tools supported part time by indie developers than mighty Google has given us. They broke it, and now they need to fix it. It's ridiculous for them to take this much time for a dozen or so lines of code! Google should be embarrassed.

Arpiea
Community Member

Indeed, this is pathetic Google. After we've sped a lot of $$$$ on your mesh system you don't have the decency to add a simple schedule button in the UI. Those are few lines of code that one developer could do it in few hours. Why you guys are so arrogant? 

levv
Community Member

Regardless of the specific issues people are facing, this should be a pretty basic functionality. Almost all devices suffer in performance if they're constantly on and working. Sometimes the drop-off is not noticeable (e.g. most newer smartphones and even some computers) but it's still there. You can schedule regular restarts in almost all routers - why can't you do the same for Google Wifi?

For balance, this also seems the case for Echos, which I regularly have to restart via the plug when they stop connecting to my smart bulbs.

DoubleOhZero
Community Member

PSA: I just learned that OpenWRT now has support for Google WiFi hardware. I am going to just dump the Google code for a real router OS that provides actual control over my network, and will continue to provide LAN services even if my internet goes down. I've hated the lame Google firmware and UI from day one. So glad there is another option now!

wibbeler
Community Member

I don't see this suggestion on this thread (but it's long and maybe I missed it). I solved my network lag issues by UN-checking the "Preferred Activities" for "Video Conferencing". A colleague was having the same problem and this solution worked for him as well. Under "Home network Settings", the "Preferred Activities" section will have video conferencing selected by default. Disabling this selection and restarting the router has solved this problem for me (for several months now).

yoMuzicMan
Community Member

I'm having the same issue and unchecked Video Conferencing. That change alone immediately got my internet speed back to normal without restarting the network. I'll monitor performance over the next few days to let you all know if my speed stays consistently high.

DoubleOhZero
Community Member

Unchecking the priority activities seems to have worked for me since the last update. Prior to the last update, unchecking that did nothing. Regardless, this isn't a "fix" either. It's a work-around. All it means is that the bad piece of code is in the prioritization module.

We are going on two years with this mess. Just fix it, Google, or scrap your crappy firmware that doesn't really even implement a mesh (it implements a hub-and-spoke), and allow us to easily upgrade to DD-WRT so we can have actual working Wi-Fi.

yoMuzicMan
Community Member

One day later, my internet speed is still the same as it was yesterday (very fast) by unchecking Video Conferencing. I usually would have seen my speed drop by at least 25% by now, so it seems this change is a workaround for the issue. Fortunately I don't need Video Conferencing traffic prioritized.

ritou
Community Member

Google -- pls get the feature done or bundle some smart plugs with the routers lol

l30nh4rt
Community Member

yes. I am also having problem to get "great connection" status and have to keep on rebooting my network to get it back to normal and fast again

JP77
Community Member

Almost 2 years and it seems that this problem has not been addressed by google. I have to restart my Google Router at least two times a week for speed recovery.  MANUALLY ! Google software to manage this router is useless, not a single advanced function. 

Edwin_yeoh
Community Member

Wait for WiFi 7 release and get WiFi 6E a good price. No more Google Nest products.

jasonv59-nest
Community Member

It's now a few years since this issue was noticed and it appears nothing has been fixed. The more devices you have on the network, the worse it is. Linksys / Netgear routers I used in the past had the ability to schedule a reboot. I don't see why Google / Nest can't add this functionality.

SiberianCat
Community Member

Same issue with Pro version. Have to restart it every two weeks to get things working properly for all wifi devices. Should be quite a simple workaround feature to integrate if they can't fix , simply no one gives a **bleep** there about customers.

GMesh_user
Community Member

Hey Google, I really don't understand why so hardheaded?! We explained the issue and gave you a tested  fix. What will it take for support folk to talk to engineering and ask for a way to schedule a network restart ? It  is at most a couple lines of code and a minor change in the UI.

If you need extra motivation to prioritize this, well you're competition already has it: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/3478/

How about you just  copy what your competition implemented  years  ago? I remember when the product teams at google were innovative; it looks like you got too big to innovate. What a  shame !

Dgden
Community Member

Did you try disabling the Preferred Activities? I keep trying to understand if people are missing the solution in this thread or it doesn't work for them?!

TopCop72
Community Member

Turning Off the video conferencing is a Band-Aid on a much larger problem.., And no, unfortunately this does not fix the issues by turning them off.

Dgden
Community Member

I agree it's a workaround but in most cases it's just useless overhead anyway as you only need it if bandwidth is limited. Auto restart is also a workaround to the real issue which is lack of stability which was the selling point for me in the first place because every router I've ever had suffered stability issues. Yes Google sucks now because quality took a back seat. Sorry it doesn't work for you: has worked for many ppl and I've just recently fixed someone's issues with the same tweak.

Franks86
Community Member

Same issues here ... C'mon google , just give us the automated network restart until you get off your 2 year lunchbreak to fix it.

lunch break is over and we got nothing.   they just dropped their first big firmware update in over a year and this wasn't in it.   I doubt we'll get another firmware for the standard Nest points.  The older Google ones didn't get this update...

Let's make as much noise as we can. This gotta make it to the top of their backlog!

They don’t care, this has been going on for years. There is no support and no updates. 

I eventually threw mine out, best day of my life 

jasonv59-nest
Community Member

The bottom line is that Google isn't reading these comments and based on comments from the community moderators the only way to voice your issues is via the feedback option in Google home. You can also try calling support. I did that and based on the latest firmware update, you see how far that went.

Note: I connected the main router to a TP-LINK outlet and it powers off the router at a scheduled time. The device remembers the schedule even without the network active. It's certainly not ideal, but it seems to be working.

ShellDude
Community Member

and the saga continues....

As of the latest firmware update (14150.882.9) I can no longer power cycle my Nest Wifi Router reliably via managed power switch.

As best as I can tell the Nest Router is failing to negotiate a DHCP address through my ONT to my ISP (Verizon FIOS).

It takes multiple reboots to resolve when it falls into this state.   Rebooting the ONT typically does not help either.  I've used the "Verizon FIOS Troubleshooter" a couple times to get it to trigger the DHCP refresh but it too is unreliable.

And of course, I have to reboot my router daily because if I don't bandwidth on my LAN degrades to the point of it being unusable over time.

And to add insult to injury, since Google has failed to give us a reboot schedule option (like every other router on the planet has these days) I've had to resort to using a managed power outlet to perform the reboot.

I am so sick and tired of this train wreck.  I have had nothing but problems since I moved to Nest mesh last year.  

Listen from a person (ME) who has had the Original Google Mesh and the Second Gen Google Mesh, which every one then truly thought Google would fix the declining speed and no connection issues. And now with Third Gen Google Mesh is the SAME SONG different skin. Some of us went out and bought those old school lamp timers to reboot our stuff back in the day. I THANK GOD, after my experience with the 1st and 2nd Gen Mesh systems, I abandoned and left Google Mesh alone. I recommend TP-LINK Mesh systems, it is a day and night difference. And to add insult to injury TP Link app has restart and auto restart that you can setup any way you want too. Now I will also add, that I have not had to restart mine since I got it over a year ago. Do what the smart people have done, LEFT GOOGLE MESH ALONE...... 

cb711
Community Member

having this issue as well.. restarting is the only thing that fixes it temporarily.  i've tested with different DNS servers including those mentioned above and my ISP's, nothing works reliably. 

754444rich
Community Member

Why not use a Wemo smart plus to schedule a daily restart?

Just any insignificant switches. It’s job only off for 1 min and stay on whole day 😊