cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Wi-Fi mesh access via Ethernet

CoolAccountant
Community Member

I have the trio of Google wifi. Two of the access points are set up where my kids use the Ethernet connection to plug into their computers (because otherwise it is a terribly slow connection even though we have 400mbps). I want to be able to control their access, meaning essentially shut down their internet. 1. Changing the password didn’t work, 2. when I’ve paused their device from the primary network I was never able to ‘unpause’ it and 3. the ‘group’ function where you schedule pauses has never worked for me.  It seems my only option is to physically remove the access points which then seem to have to be reset every time I plug them back in or I can remove the cable. What a hassle this is. Any thoughts?

1 Recommended Answer

CoolAccountant
Community Member

The Microsoft app looks like it might work. I’ll check it out, thanks!

View Recommended Answer in original post

8 REPLIES 8

olavrb
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

The pausing functionality has been broken ever since MAC randomization became a thing.

You should probably look at controlling access on a different level, for instance the device itself. With products like:

Apple screen time:

Microsoft Family Safety:

If you still want to continue down the Nest Wifi pausing route: I've read that factory reset and set the whole network up again from scratch could fix strange problems with pausing and unpausing devices. Reuse the network name (SSID) and password, then devices should reconnect automagically.

I don't work for Google.

CoolAccountant
Community Member

The Microsoft app looks like it might work. I’ll check it out, thanks!

Hey folks, 

Thanks again for helping here, @olavrb

@CoolAccountant, I hope you've got the answer you're looking for. If you're still in need of any assistance, feel free to let us know. 

Best,
Mel

Hey everyone,

I wanted to follow up and see if you are still in need of any help. Please let me know if you are still having any concerns or questions from here, as I would be happy to take a closer look and assist you further.

Thanks,
Mel

CoolAccountant
Community Member

I’m trying the Microsoft option as soon as I have a minute. I’m accepting that as the solution since none of the google “methods” will work for me. 

Hi CoolAccountant,

Thanks for getting back to us. Take your time, I'll be waiting for your update.

Best,
Mel

Hi CoolAccountant,

I wanted to follow up and see if you are still in need of any help. Please let me know if you are still having any concerns or questions from here, as I would be happy to take a closer look and assist you further.

Thanks,
Mel

Hi CoolAccountant,

We haven't heard from you in a while so we'll be locking this thread if there is no update within 24 hours. If you have any new issues, updates or just a discussion topic, feel free to start a new thread in the Community.

Best, 
Mel