cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

connecting 2 WIFI routers

ASCASH
Community Member

I understand that the first Nest wifi router is connected to my TMobile Gateway with ethernet cable.  I have a second router that I will be using as a point.  It will be located in my office where I have a Mac Computer with wireless wifi.  Do I want to plug in the second router(serving as a point) to my computer with an ethernet cable, or leave it wireless?? Thank you

4 REPLIES 4

MichaelP
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

Hello @ASCASH 

If you can plug your Mac into that secondary/point Nest WiFi Router unit, that will improve performance, since your data will only have to go over the WiFi channel once instead of twice.

ASCASH
Community Member

Thank you for your reply.  I just want to make sure I understand you correctly.  My Mac computer has an ethernet port on it's power supply.  So I want to connect the 2nd google wifi router to it with ethernet cable, even though my computer is using wifi wirelessly. 

MichaelP
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

Yes. When you connect your Mac to the nearby Nest WiFi Router unit via Ethernet, it will use that for most things instead of WiFi even if you leave WiFi enabled on your Mac. You should be able to just plug it in and have better performance. 

ASCASH
Community Member

I received my routers today and got them all set up. Works perfectly and the wifi has improved greatly in the locations where it was lacking.  Thanks for your help.