cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADT Partnership and Products -- Horrible (Google has lost a customer)

bbruner
Community Member

I've been a Nest Secure owner for years and just set up my new ADT system and I couldn't be less happy. There is not a single thing about this new system that is better than what I'm being forced to replace. Let's start at the top:

The offering from Google/ADT for equipment is a joke. Two sensors and one motion detector, does not come close to covering my investment. I don't care about monitoring, I want the equipment I invested in because I trusted Google to work. So much for my investment. I have 3 cameras, doorbell camera and two google hubs plus had the nest security system, which collectively cost around $2000. 

Every piece of the system looks like it was designed by a 5 year old that was once told about a security system but can't remember the details. Why is the new control box 4X as big as my decade old Secure? At that size, why doesn't it have Nest Max speakers in it? That thing is ridiculous and I don't want it visible in my home. It is hideous.

The door sensors are also twice the size of my Nest Secure devices, with less functionality. They are so big that I had to reposition them 3 times to get the door to open without knocking the sensor off. It is also hideous. There is no "design" it is just a box. Well, two boxes. Two awkwardly large boxes stuck to the door and frame.

Now is I guess the time to mention that I can't push a button on the sensor to open the door without disarming the system like I could yesterday. I don't have a light that indicates the status of the system when I approach the door, like I did yesterday. I don't have a convenient night light when I walk by like I did yesterday. I don't have a motion sensor on every door like I did yesterday. I have lost so much functionally. I have a sensor. A cheap feeling, bulky, ugly sensor.

Finally, the app. The app is a travesty. There are no meaningful controls. You can arm or disarm, that's about it. There are no customization options. Why am I forced to listen to 45 seconds of chimes when I tell it I'm home but awake? That should be silent. I'm not leaving. That's why it's called "stay". Why can I get "one touch" arming on my phone but not on the box? It's not even one touch. I have to unlock my phone, open the app, press the status button, and THEN I get to just press an arming status. That's not one touch. You know what would be one touch? Letting me press one of the arming buttons on the hideous box and it just arms. Is that an option? No. For reasons I can't possibly understand you can't have one touch on the box. So, this just guarantees that I will hide that box in a cabinet somewhere. There is not a single function that is easier on the box than on my phone so I will hide it. You won't even have the passive advertisement of people noticing it in my home because why would I want them to. It's an ugly, useless, white box.

None of my cameras are apparently compatible with the ADT+ app and system, which makes the app and all cameras almost useless. I signed up for the enhanced video monitoring with ADT+ in the hopes that help with the integration, and was told that would come with Nest Aware to allow me to at least view recorded video history on my cameras through the Google Home app. That is not the case, and I spent 3 different hour long conversations with ADT and even had a virtual appointment where they remote accessed my app. They had no idea why it wasn't working..... very helpful. 

I don't plan on spending a single penny on this new ecosystem. I will limp this free garbage for the 12 months then replace all google and adt products.

This is disgraceful, and they've wasted my entire investment in their products. ADT equipment, compatibility to existing google and nest products is nonexistent, and the app and user interface and functionality is awful compared to Nest 6-7 years ago. I'll vocalize my discontent at every opportunity and push anyone I can away from Google and ADT. 

1 REPLY 1

JPA-2
Community Member

Same issue here.  No response from Google on replacing the devices that don't work with ADT+.  This is unfair to consumers who spent thousands of dollars on equipment.  The ADT+ promotion seemed to be a good move if only the devices were compatible.  They offered the minimum in full knowledge that many of the devices would not work and the promotion would not be enough to cover replacement costs.  Google got it really wrong here.  Sounds like next step will have to be legal action.  Also, the silence is unacceptable...they don't answer any messages...very frustating 😤