cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem adding Matter device / Thread border router / enabling Thread

SlyGryphon
Community Member
I'm following the instructions from https://developers.home.google.com/ but getting the error "Your device requires a Thread border router" when trying to add a Matter device.

Following "Developer Console is in Developer Preview"

* I have a Nest Hub (2nd gen)
* I have a mobile device
* Using a Nordic Semiconductor test device

Mentions "account used for development should only have a single Matter-enabled hub connected for testing"

As well as the Nest Hub (2nd gen), I also have a Thread Border Border Router on my network. And I have tested the device works with fine with the Border Router, e.g. I can read Matter clusters (it is a weather station; I can read the temperature), and I can ping the device (I run an IPv6 network), including from across the Internet.

I've review the Developer checklist.

In Step 2, I've created a new project, and set up the Matter integration

In Step 3, on Android, I have Google Play Services v22.42.12. On my Android I also have Developer Options enabled

When I go to Settings > Google > Devices & sharing, it is a bit weird because I have Matter devices listed twice (it could be because I have two profiles, for personal & work).

If I try connecting a new device with my device already paired to my existing Border Router, then it reads the QR code, but then after a while gives the error message "Can't find your device. Check your device instructions to ensure that the device is in pairing mode."

So, if I then put my device back into pairing mode (which loses it's connection to the existing border router), then the QR code scans correctly, and then I can see it goes into pairing mode (the light on the Nordic device flashes), but then gets the error "Your device requires a Thread border router. Connect your border router, then try setting up your device." (Other tools can discover my border router)

Other links I tried:
* Clicking "Matter", under "Ways to build", goes to another page that just links back to the tutorial above
* Clicking Docs > Thread takes me to a page mostly above programming for Android apps using the Thread Network SDK. It does mention a "Thread Border Router Setup app", but I can't find this app in the Play Store, and the context seems to imply it is about an app that you are writing.

I can't add the device, and there is not clear guidance on what I need to do to solve the problem.

* Should I be able to directly add the device, and it discover my existing border router? Or is this a known bug (because that is not happening)?
* Or, do I first need to "Connect my border router" (to connect my existing BR to Google), and how do I do that? Searching for this in the developer center brings up the SDK, and references that the Nest Hub can be a border router);
* Or, how do I activate my Nest Hub (2nd Gen) as a Border Router (a lot of the documentation mentions using the Nest Hub)

Thanks in advance.

- Sly
1 Recommended Answer

sipriyadarshi
Solutions Expert
Solutions Expert

We recommend to use a Nest Hub 2nd Gen for developing matter devices (especially over thread). While you might see a thread network with the Nest Hub Max, our documentation is only tested with a Nest Hub 2nd gen right now.

View Recommended Answer in original post

4 REPLIES 4

SlyGryphon
Community Member

Correction: My controller is a Nest Hub Max, not a Hub (2nd Gen) -- it is still listed as both a Thread Controller and Border Router. But maybe because the documentation specifically mentions the 2nd Gen, only the 2nd Gen has it enabled so far?

SlyGryphon
Community Member

I'm not sure what I changed, but my Hub Max has now started broadcasting a Thread network.

Now I just need to work out how to access it 🙂

sipriyadarshi
Solutions Expert
Solutions Expert

We recommend to use a Nest Hub 2nd Gen for developing matter devices (especially over thread). While you might see a thread network with the Nest Hub Max, our documentation is only tested with a Nest Hub 2nd gen right now.

Mnahome
Community Member

How are you checking what are the thread networks available?