cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Matter with Google Home so slow and unreliable, and is it fixable?

Sir_Rob
Community Member

I have around 105 smart devices currently in use, and every other platform I have tried (Alexa, Tapo/Kasa, Tuya, AiDot, eWeLink, Vivint, LotusLamp X, Insteon, x10, and probably a few others) has been faster to respond, way more reliable, and more feature rich.  Including x10 in that list is really saying something.  However, besides Alexa, they do not offer cross platform and local communication, and none of them offer a script editor.

What can be done to make Matter with Google Home work faster and more reliably?

Working locally should be faster than having to communicate over the internet, but it is not.  Not only is it slower, but it is very unreliable.  In many cases the failure rate is >75%.  Devices often show as disconnected in Google home with Matter yet they still work great in the various manufacturer's app.  This shows that it is probably not a problem with my 2.4 GHz network.  When I submitted a bug request, I was told that nothing would be done.

Again, what can be done to make Matter with Google Home work faster and more reliably?  Are things not fixable or not getting better in the foreseeable future?  Is it time to go to another platform?

1 Recommended Answer

sipriyadarshi
Solutions Expert
Solutions Expert

Hello @Sir_Rob ,

We, the engineers at Google are constantly working to make the experience with Google Smart Home Ecosystem smooth and easy. We really appreciate your valuable feedback as it helps us in getting valuable insights as to how we can improve our ecosystem further. 

We will forward your concern to the internal teams and keep you posted about any developments in this regard through our public documentation. 

View Recommended Answer in original post

2 REPLIES 2

sipriyadarshi
Solutions Expert
Solutions Expert

Hello @Sir_Rob ,

We, the engineers at Google are constantly working to make the experience with Google Smart Home Ecosystem smooth and easy. We really appreciate your valuable feedback as it helps us in getting valuable insights as to how we can improve our ecosystem further. 

We will forward your concern to the internal teams and keep you posted about any developments in this regard through our public documentation. 

Sir_Rob
Community Member

Matter over Google Home is now totally useless. No Matter communications work anymore. I have transitioned to other non-Matter apps, and they all work very reliably.

The biggest problem I have now is trying to get products from 2 different manufacturers communicating with each other. This is worse than the old X10 days!

I can use Tapo, Smart Life, AiDot, and eWeLink for about 100 devices, but they don't talk to each other, because Matter does not work.

I really thought this protocol was going to help Home Automation, but unless something changes, it will soon be a forgotten failure.